No more playing not true high schools

hit the lights
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by hit the lights »

Dictatorship in full effect! :roll:
TheFan
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by TheFan »

Let face facts, how far the super privates have taken athletics, is now what could kill off HSFB...irony but sad.
Nothing better than making money, prestige, adult hobby on 16 year old minorities back...it is sad
Last edited by TheFan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sugarcoat
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by sugarcoat »

TheFan - you say it very well. The way high school students are being used is horrific. Public schools have controls on enrollment, hiring, and facilities that don't exist in the private school. Does the CIF have backbone? Answer, the CIF make$ money on $ucce$$ - the "super privates" make money too. And there i$ no $ucce$$ like exce$$! That'$ what it'$ all about on the backs of the high school student.
sugarcoat
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by sugarcoat »

downtothewire wrote:It would seem to me as Christian organizations, they have an even greater purpose and reason to accept any and all children into their schools/programs and encourage more to follow. Not to get all religious about it, but their school and program is a part of their ministry and outreach and one can never tell how God might be working through that, or how the child or family might be affected by the experience. Those who keep banging that "higher moral standard" drum need to back all the way down and just pray about it.

What it seems to you and the way it is might be different. Private schools, Christian schools do not have to accept any and all children. Does the family want a Christian education (if the school is Christian) for the child? Catholic schools were established in this country to offer a different education, Catholic indoctrination, to its students. As the Christian school exists it should practice the moral code it teaches. Tuition has to be paid - can it be afforded by the family or assistance from the school? Will the student be able to matriculate through the academic program of the school, some students need special assistance that the private or Christian school is not able to give. Is there physical room in the school for "any and all children"? Simply put, the private or Christian school does not have to accept any and all children; public schools do.
MDDad
Posts: 12147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

downtothewire wrote:The point of the matter is whoever made this decision (and others like it) in the long run will speed up the era of full-on club football, with the top athletes playing for clubs over schools, and I'm not sure that's what they intended. Or maybe it is.
California high schools have a long and not-so-illustrious history of making decisions that resulted in outcomes other than what they intended. It's in their bureaucratic DNA, so why should this decision be any different?

I agree that high schools shouldn't be allowed to compete against national sports academies, just as they shouldn't compete against middle schools, community colleges, or club teams. However, I doubt there were enough rocket scientists and brain surgeons among those who voted for this measure to foresee what might result.
User avatar
jb914
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by jb914 »

sugarcoat wrote: Is there physical room in the school for "any and all children"? Simply put, the private or Christian school does not have to accept any and all children; public schools do.
A bit of a strawman argument sugarcoat. Public schools are required to take any and all students, regardless of their needs because that's what they are funded to do thru taxes.

Private schools are funded by tuition. BTW, I know MD has students with special needs as students.

on another note, If anyone wants a solid argument for profiting off the backs of student-athletes you need only look at the NCAA.
cruiser
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by cruiser »

jb914 wrote: on another note, If anyone wants a solid argument for profiting off the backs of student-athletes you need only look at the NCAA.
Exactly!
downtothewire
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by downtothewire »

jb914 wrote:
on another note, If anyone wants a solid argument for profiting off the backs of student-athletes you need only look at the NCAA.
It always puzzles me why folks get up in arms over high schools supposedly profiting off the backs of athletes when colleges have been doing it forever.
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18190
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Fordama »

Very few colleges profit off of athletics. That's a gigantic myth.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
MDDad
Posts: 12147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

Fordama wrote:Very few colleges profit off of athletics.
And I'd bet no high schools do.
Playthegame
Posts: 4541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Playthegame »

What is the motive then, if not for profit?
sugarcoat
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by sugarcoat »

jb914 wrote:A bit of a strawman argument sugarcoat. Public schools are required to take any and all students, regardless of their needs because that's what they are funded to do thru taxes.

Private schools are funded by tuition. BTW, I know MD has students with special needs as students.

on another note, If anyone wants a solid argument for profiting off the backs of student-athletes you need only look at the NCAA.
Sir, you created the straw man argument. Christian schools are not obligated to accept all students. Both straw man and a generalization. Private schools indeed are funded by tuition and are PRIVATE meaning they can select their student body. Some private schools are able to care for some special needs students, of course.
The "other note" is a non sequitur and a false analogy. High schools are not colleges. However, the schools are profiting off the backs of the student-athletes.
Please don't turn to an ad hominem argument next.
MDDad
Posts: 12147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

Playthegame wrote:What is the motive then, if not for profit?
Is that a serious question?
Playthegame
Posts: 4541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Playthegame »

MDDad wrote: Is that a serious question?
No...it was just a vehicle for you to be an A-hole...
Playthegame
Posts: 4541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Playthegame »

Why spend exorbitant amounts of money on athletic programs if there is no financial gain. Mr. Absurd would have you believe that it does not drive up enrollment numbers, that it does not allow for higher tuitions that come with National prestige.

If there was no financial benefit, then there would be no arms race. Period.

Tuition Prices for Privates, Enrolment for publics, ticket sales for all, Sports industry support, booster revenue all increase when programs consistently win.
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

MDDad wrote: Is that a serious question?
It looks like a serious question to me. I'm interested in the answer too.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
TheFan
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by TheFan »

Fordama, Please clarify what you are saying, you are a pretty smart guy, all college athletics programs ? ....Most of the Big 5 conference schools run a surplus from the football program. This is what all the bowl money and TV rights are all about. Schools cant pay majority minority players so they build country clubs to entice them to come to their school. Take a tour of any PAC 12 school.

School Presidents, ADs, Coaches and TV business are making a ton of money on these kids. Not to mention how much easier it is for alumni support. This is true from D1 to D3, ask any small school college what happens when the alumni get wind of football dropping.
User avatar
jb914
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by jb914 »

Fordama wrote:Very few colleges profit off of athletics. That's a gigantic myth.
I didn't say colleges, I said the NCAA.
User avatar
jb914
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by jb914 »

sugarcoat wrote: The "other note" is a non sequitur and a false analogy.
What are you the thread police now? Should I have started another thread? :notworthy:
cruiser
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by cruiser »

jb914 wrote:I didn't say colleges, I said the NCAA.

Yes, you did my friend,apparently the topic took a wrong turn!
Post Reply