Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am

Add Mission Viejo to the list of cities whose police departments aren't going to comply with the law. Never mind that MV doesn't, like... have a police department, they ain't gonna comply, Goldurnit!
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:24 pm

John Q. Public wrote: I'm curious how the Sheriff is going to determine inmates' immigration status, since a birth certificate isn't required to be admitted to jail.
She's not. She is publishing a list of who is in jail and when they are scheduled for release. ICE will have to cross reference that list with whatever lists they have.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm

John Q. Public » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 am

So, Bratton released him, the Governor was a Republican, what part did Democrats play?
Bratton is a Democrat according to Wikipedia

Born William Joseph Bratton
October 6, 1947 (age 70)
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Political party Democratic
Last edited by Professor Fate on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
I didn't say it was big, you did. Since then I've been trying to figure out why and it doesn't seem like you really have a clue as to why you said that. I'll just assume you were a bit overexcited.
Now you are just being intentionally obtuse. It's big because she has found a way around the sanctuary state law, which not only makes her safe to do what she wanted to do, but also gives other cities and counties a blueprint on how to do the same thing.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Ah I see. You're happy she found a loophole in the law. Ok, I can't say I think that's very big.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Huntington Beach is the latest to join the fight against the Sanctuary State Laws. The vote was 6-1 to file a lawsuit against California and the state attorney general to challenge the legality of state mandates that expand protections for undocumented immigrants. This is a separate lawsuit from the federal one filed against California.

City officials argue the state is "unconstitutionally overreaching" by preventing municipalities from taking certain actions and spending their general fund money on certain law enforcement.

Before Monday night's vote, more than 100 speakers, including U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Costa Mesa), vehemently spoke about undocumented immigrants and sanctuary cities.

A majority of the audience dressed in Make America Great Again memorabilia and chanted "USA, USA, USA." Many draped U.S. flags on their backs and held signs with messages such as "Build wall, deport them all" and "We love President Trump."

Residents who called on the City Council to vote against the lawsuit proposal were heckled by some in the audience, which prompted Posey to slam his gavel on the dais and warn the crowd that he would suspend the meeting if the outbursts continued.

Orange resident Gerald Thomas told how he and his family "paid our dues and waited in line" to become U.S. citizens after leaving the Philippines in 1972.

"Nobody offered us sanctuary or an easier way. If I can do it, everyone who came here illegally can do it too," Thomas said. "It's a personal insult if they think they can bypass our laws."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 pm

In other news on the subject, Fullerton chickened out, choosing to compromise and remain silent.

Fullerton City Council will not take a stance regarding the U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit against California for three sanctuary laws entitling undocumented immigrants to certain protections.
“I was a little (surprised by this decision) just because I wasn’t sure where it was going,” said council member Jesus Silva, who said he initially suspected the council would vote to support the lawsuit at its Tuesday meeting.

That vote was 3-1 with 1 abstention in favor of receiving and filing the consideration, with opposition from council member Jennifer Fitzgerald and an abstention by council member Bruce Whitaker. The decision was met with uproarious applause by a majority of the audience.

In response to hecklers in the audience asking what it meant to receive and file, Sebourn and Chaffee said that the city would elect to remain silent on the issue without alienating those opposed to the lawsuit.

https://dailytitan.com/2018/04/fullerto ... alifornia/

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 pm

Aliso Niguel and San Juan Capistrano have joined the movement today, both with 4-1 decisions.

The Aliso Viejo council voted 4-1 to file friend-of-the-court briefs to support the efforts of the federal government, the Orange County Board of Supervisors and the cities of Los Alamitos and Huntington Beach.

The Aliso Viejo council also voted 4-1, with Councilman Phillip Tsunoda dissenting, for a resolution to “adhere to the rule of law,” support local law enforcement and demand that Congress address “the need for comprehensive immigration reform and bring certainty to those who are desirous of becoming part of this experiment we call Democracy.”

Resolutions, a mostly symbolic move, have been the option of choice for many cities voicing opposition to California’s sanctuary laws.

In San Juan Capistrano, the council voted 4-1 Tuesday to adopt a resolution that condemns state law that city leaders argue endangers public safety.

Mayor Sergio Farias was the lone dissenting vote, saying the matter fell far from what the council ought to be spending its time on.

“As mayor, I’m mayor of everyone who calls San Juan Capistrano home, regardless of their legal status,” Farias told the audience.

On Tuesday, the Fountain Valley City Council also agreed to file a friend-of-the-court brief with the Trump administration lawsuit that claims California’s laws contradict federal law and are unconstitutional. Other cities that have done the same are Yorba Linda, Mission Viejo,

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/05/a ... t-of-fray/

Santa Ana, which declared itself a sanctuary city last year, the council on Monday voted to back California in court in its fight with the feds.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Welcome Newport Beach, and Orange to the rebellion!
In Newport Beach, the City Council voted unanimously during closed session to support a federal lawsuit filed by the Trump administration against California. The Newport Beach council also voted 7-0 for a resolution that says the city is publicly opposed to the law.

In Orange, the council voted 3-2 for a resolution against the California Values Act, the law that limits cooperation between federal immigration agents and local law enforcement and provides protection to unauthorized immigrants in public schools, libraries and medical centers. The Orange resolution says the city will not comply with state law, but resolutions are largely symbolic and it’s unclear whether it will have any impact on day-to-day operations.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/11/o ... tuary-law/
That makes nine cities in Orange County alone, that have come out against Sanctuary State Laws. Westminister has a chance to make it double figures, when they vote today.

What are you gonna do now Becerra, DeLeon, Brown and company :-P ? :lol:

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 am

Evidently, Westminster did it last night. :thumbsup:

And several more in Northern California, along with Shasta County. :thumbsup:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am

I'm a little surprised by Escondido, considering illegals are a significant part of its economy.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:23 am

West Covina, like Fullerton, decided not to take a stand, even though the LA County city had previously come out against SB54.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:28 am

I think the mayor and maybe 2 councilmen were against it in West Covina, but the majority wasn't. The residents don't seem to be.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am

Pandemonium in West Covina over challenging sanctuary state law

State Senate President Pro Tem Emeritus Kevin de Leon, (D-Los Angeles) had a rough time at the meeting, as half the people started chanting "Lock him up, Lock him up!"
A meeting of the West Covina City Council on Tuesday broke down numerous times into chants and shouts as supporters and detractors of California’s so-called sanctuary state law faced off.
...Spence’s proposal came after five hours of testimony from residents, local immigrant rights supporters, those opposed to the law and de Leon himself.

De Leon said that he worked with former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to ensure the bill’s constitutionality and that the bill does not stop collaboration between federal immigration enforcement officials and local law enforcement agencies to investigate serious crimes.

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/04/04/p ... state-law/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

"...the bill does not stop collaboration between federal immigration enforcement officials and local law enforcement agencies to investigate serious crimes" should have been in bold face.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:03 pm

That is nothing more than..."leave the poor little illegals alone, because they have only committed tiny crimes like illegal entry, and phony IDs."

And it's not even true, because they don't want cooperation, even with serious criminals. They occasionally SAY the do, but their actions belie their words.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:13 pm

John Q. Public wrote:"...the bill does not stop collaboration between federal immigration enforcement officials and local law enforcement agencies to investigate serious crimes" should have been in bold face.
John, the next paragraph in that article is:
However, “local officers should not be cogs in the (President) Trump deportation machine,” de Leon told the council. “Enforcement of immigration laws is the responsibility of the federal government, not West Covina PD, LAPD or Pomona PD.”
So while the bill does not stop collaboration, it also doesn't promote it or require it. Given that, what good does it do? If everyone is free to decide for themselves whether or not to cooperate or assist, isn't that just chaos?

broman

Post by broman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 pm

How many local cities have the resources to keep large amounts of people behind bars? I do believe most of the criminal processing and alerting the feds on immigration status is done by the county.

From the Fullerton PD website.....
Individuals arrested by the Fullerton Police Department are typically housed in the Fullerton
Police Department Jail while they await transportation to court. In some instances, typically
related to jail capacity, inmates will be transferred to the Orange County Jail.
https://www.fullertonpd.org/howdoi/jail/who.asp

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Welcome Dana Point to the anti-sanctuary state movement. The vote was 3-2 to support federal law.

Jennifer Harrison of Patriot, AZ, one of dozens of activists opposing California’s sanctuary state status, many of whom were from other parts of the state, and other states, holds up a sign that reads “Illegal Aliens!!, Not Immigrants” while sitting in the council chambers during a Dana Point City Council meeting on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 while the council debated a resolution that would join the city in the county’s opposition to SB 54. (Photo By Jeff Antenore, Contributing Photographer)

broman

Post by broman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Time for some folks to apply for a nannie or landscaping job in South County.