CIF Division 1 Volleyball Championship CDM @ Newport Harbor "BOTB III"

SK80

CIF Division 1 Volleyball Championship CDM @ Newport Harbor "BOTB III"

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 am

If you could write the script for a CIF CHAMPIONSHIP it would read...,
"CORONA DEL MAR vs NEWPORT HARBOR, the BATTLE OF THE BAY".

If you grew up in this town there is one thing that matters, that is talked about throughout the year, whether settled on the field, in the pool, on the track, in a gym or on a court, it's who has the "Bell" or who owns the "Bay" on that day or for an entire season.

The rivalry runs deep, pitting student, parent and families on two sides of an outcome they so desperately want. These kids, these family show much respect, they are neighbors, co-workers, friends, buds, pals & chums. Yet for that moment, for the history book, nothing matters more, no game nor event than beating your rival. Sea King or Sailor, who rules the "Bay".

Newport Harbor has stood as the academic and athletic beacon since 1930. It wasn't till 1962 that a little upstart school in Eastbluff on the opposite side of the bay was built. A school for the most part always with half the enrollment was nothing more than a JV team in most sports to Harbor. Newport Harbor owned Newport and the "Bay".

Growing up a CDM kid in the 60's and 70's usually meant attending or playing in games and getting the routine whooping by the Sailors. In my 4 years at CDM not once did we win the "Bell" in football. It was a time when in most sports enrollment dictated and tiny CDM just could not field the teams that Harbor could assemble. The occasional victories in certain sport could just never remove the cloud over CDM as the second best school in Newport Beach.

Much has transpired since those days. In recent decades the table has turned, standing on equal ground if not on higher. CDM Athletics have settled many a score. And if there are two sports that this town claims to be their own it is Water Polo and Volleyball. The talent pool here is deep and many a player make up the NCAA in both sports.

Tonight at Cerritos College for the CIF DIVISION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP it is the Sea Kings and Sailors for all the marbles. Newport harbor is undefeated this season at 34-0 and the #1 ranked team in the country. CDM has dropped 4 matches this year and two are to the Sailors. So they say it is harder to beat a good team twice let alone three times, will Harbor hold serve once more and sweep their way to the title? I think coach Conti of CDM may have said it best about this showdown,

A Battle of the Bay final
is incredibly special. It'd
be like USC and UCLA for a national
championship. This is a
big deal, and it's pretty cool.

CORONA DEL MAR COACH STEVE CONTI

This is that script you could only write. It is just not another epic "Battle of the Bay" non league game, not another high stakes tournament match, this is for the CIF CHAMPIONSHIP, this is the #1 and #2 teams in the NATION settling a score, who owns this "Bay". This is the sport that matters, a sport not even the Trinity League can convince these kids to not play for their respected home teams. This is loyalty to school, family, friends and a community. For two and a half hours tonight every point will seem like the one that could turn the tide to your side of the "Bay".

With all due respect, good luck Sailors. With all my heart, "BEAT THE TARS"!

Back Bay bragging rights on the line in Division 1 boys’ volleyball final
http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html

CDM_NH_VBall.png

more great reads on tonight....,

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/18/b ... mpionship/

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/18/b ... mpionship/

Corona del Mar sweeps Loyola, advances to fourth straight CIF boys' volleyball final

CDMLOY.png

Kevin "THE SKYWALKER" Kobrine for the KILL...

SKYKILL.png

"They have a chance to defend last year's championship," Sea Kings coach Steve Conti said of the motivation for his senior-laden group. "To have a chance to play a team that has beaten you twice, a chance at redemption on this kind of stage … is pretty special."

CdM boasts a loaded lineup. Senior outside hitter Brandon Browning (USC), junior outside hitter Adam Flood (USC), senior setter Patrick Paragas (UCSB), senior middle blockers Brandon Hicks (UCSB) and Tyler Flood (NYU), and Kobrine (UCLA) have committed to play volleyball at the next level.

Senior outside hitter Cole Pender (UCLA) and senior middle blocker Ethan Talley (Ohio State) have secured college commitments for the Sailors.
::

CIF Southern Section Division 1 boys' volleyball championship
When: Saturday
Where: Cerritos College (11110 Alondra Blvd., Norwalk, CA 90650)

Fan info: Newport Harbor and CdM will play in the Division 1 final at 6:30 p.m. General admission is $12. Tickets are $5 for students with school ID and children (ages 5-13).

cruiser

Re: CIF Division 1 Volleyball Championship CDM @ Newport Harbor "BOTB III"

Postby cruiser » Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 am

So, SK80; think CDM has a good chance against Harbor tonight? Harbor has been pretty
unstoppable all season. Should be a great match.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Harbor is undefeated and the team to beat. I think CDM has the players to win. Its a strange game a few hits or misses at any point and it goes the other way......

CDM blew 2 match point ops last meeting, that is how close. CDM tends to however play a bit sloppy, even against Loyola the other night we had the size and skill down but Loyola plays more discipline ball. I'll be there for sure it is a treat to see a sport played at the level these guys do. And it ain't no soft sport either, try standing in front of a D1 spike or kill. I equate it to to having the balls to be a goalie in the NHL or a catcher in MLB. That sh*t coming at you is nasty wicked!

Stuff or be stuffed, kill or be killed!

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 pm

NH takes first set on better serving 25-23 CDM comes back with big hitters in second 25-15

#ItsOn

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 pm

CDM overcomes bad serving to prevail in third set 25-23

2-1 CDM

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Cole Pender serves save NH 25-23

One more set decides CIF

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 pm

CDM CIF CHAMPIONS 15-13 final set

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Great win for CDM, see, a MD transfer put you guys over the top (just kidding), it's hard
to beat an elite team twice and especially three times in a row in the same season, on to the
SoCal regionals.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 am

The MD transfer came home, a CDM middle schooler came back to play with his brothers. Like I said above, in this sport it's homegrown, it's in the blood, it's Newport, it's CDM. We own it. We play it. Best in the nation.

SR. Brandon Browning says it best on sticking together...,

"Coach Conti…, ever since my freshman year, he's always said, 'The best memories are made in May,'" the USC-bound Browning said. "That's exactly what we're doing here.

"It means so much for all of us. We've just been fighting and working for this. We've all put it together since seventh grade. It's just an unbelievable feeling to be able to come out here and make history like that."

The Battle of the Bay stands as one of the fiercest rivalries in high school sports today.
An additional chapter was added on Saturday, undoubtedly one of the best ever to be written in the storied rivalry.

CDM_Hicks.png
CDM_Hicks.png (438.55 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Corona del Mar’s Brandon Hicks, front, celebrates with his team after beating Newport Harbor in the CIF-SS Division 1 boys volleyball championship game at Cerritos College in Norwalk on Saturday, May 19, 2018. CDM beat Newport 3-2. (Photo by Scott Varley, Contributing Photographer)

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

Tonight kicks off the CIF state tournaments and the D1 southern region looks like this...,

CIFSOREGState.png

http://www.cifstate.org/sports/boys_vol ... kets/index
https://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/THo ... ion-i-.htm

Odds favor highly a Battle of the Bay IV. South Torrance and Loyola can win some sets possibly if they make it to the semi-final matches. I like the way the flipped those two teams from the CIF tournament brackets. It was CDM over Loyola and NH over South. Both a great teams just seems this year CDM and NH are on another level.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:12 am

This will be an EPIC rematch for STATE. Unfortunately I can''t be there but the CDM GYM tonight will be like no other high school event.... this is Hoosier in Indiana!

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/24/n ... nal-final/

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Corona del Mar sweeps rematch with Newport Harbor to claim SoCal Division I volleyball title

=D> =D> =D>

NEWPORT BEACH – This time it was a little quicker and somewhat easier.

Corona del Mar swept Newport Harbor in three sets – 25-15, 25-21, 25-19 – on Saturday in the CIF Southern California Regional Division I championship match in a packed gym at Corona del Mar High.

The Sea Kings beat Newport Harbor in five sets last week in the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 championship match at Cerritos College.

It is Corona del Mar’s fourth CIF SoCal championship and its first in Division I. The Sea Kings’ previous three titles (2011, ’14 and ’15) were in Division II.

A senior-heavy starting lineup made good on its last ride together. Brandon Hicks, the one-time CdM middle school student who returned to the Sea Kings as a transfer from Mater Dei, recounted the feelings of breaking the huddle for the last time.

"I've been working hard with them all season," Hicks said. "Playing with these guys is why I transferred here out of Mater Dei, but I'm really going to miss these guys after the school year is over.
"The memories that we've made together is something that I'll never forget."

:notworthy:

Like I started this thread... if you could only write a script..... if you were on the CDM side of the bay you would write it exactly like this....... :thumbsup:

So to answer your question @CRUSIER can CDM beat them... --:-- Yes they can and they can beat them again in a sweeeeeeeep! =D>

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:01 am

Can't beat this as the CDM led OC SOUTH ALL STARS in beating the NEWPORT HARBOR led NORTH ALL STARS 2 sets to 1.... :rockon: Even better in NEWPORTS GYM! :thumbsup:

The game's MVP.... CDM's and USC COMMIT (FIGHT ON!) BRANDON BROWNING =D>

BrownCDM.png

"The USC-bound Browning led a whopping six CdM players on the South boys’ roster. It also included UCLA-bound opposite Kevin Kobrine, and middle blocker Brandon Hicks and setter Patrick Paragas, both headed to UC Santa Barbara. CdM libero Diego Perez (Orange Coast College) and middle blocker Tyler Flood (New York University) also contributed."

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am

More high school sport history made..., led by the CDM seniors 949 Volleyball Club wins historic 4th straight US Junior Nationals :thumbsup:

949 Volleyball Club makes history at Junior Nationals

la-1531270081-edpmsjuxx7-snap-image.jpeg

"Winning back-to-back CIF Southern Section Division 1 titles was surely a great way to cap the high school volleyball careers of Corona del Mar High graduates Patrick Paragas, Kevin Kobrine, Brandon Browning and Diego Perez.

But the four-year run the CdM quartet helped 949 Volleyball Club achieve at the USA Volleyball Junior National Championships was nothing less than historic.

949’s 18-and-under Black team swept Balboa Bay Volleyball Club 18 Blue 25-16, 25-21, in the 18 Open Division national title match on July 5 in Phoenix. With the win, 949 became the first program to have players win four straight national titles from the 15 Open division to the 18 Open division."

These kids from childhood have played together, stuck together, grew up together, won together and on occasion loss together. This group, the embodiment of "team" from CDM has earned not only the CIF D1 Title, CIF D1 State Title, HS National Title and now US Junior National Title 4 years in a row. =D>

Three Time Junior National Patrick Paragas, “It’s an amazing feeling,” Paragas said. “I mean, most of us met in the 15s year. Going through the years, we were trying to build chemistry. It’s just a really cool thing when you can bond over winning four national championships."

Dominant. Argueably the best HS Boys Volleyball team to ever take the court, CDM class of 2018, 949 Volleyball, US JUNIOR NATIONAL TEAM 2018.

Return to “High School”