It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Credo ut intelligam

Re: It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm

watchersince68 wrote:I was driving to last weeks game going west on Civic Center Dr with the family all in red. I saw two nice looking young men in Servite shirts walking, presumably going to watch our game against IMG. I pointed at them and they saw me and made eye contact. I rolled down the window and said "I thought you guys didn't have a football team anymore?" They promptly yelled back in good fun "just wait til next week". And that's the way it should be.

And as humble as I can be I do not believe Servite will score on the first string defense.

I WANT to see Servite better.
Nice post. Yes, that's the way it should be. And I sincerely believe your last sentiment.

I know this will inflame the Monarch partisans, but this is a little like Barry Bonds of the early 2000's saying he wishes his competition was better. St. John Bosco went Sosa/McGwire in 2013 and Mater Dei, tired of losing the spotlight, decided to one up them. And I know you sincerely think we're just jealous and bitter, but I can tell you from a real stakeholder's perspective--and let's remember that these are first and foremost places of Catholic and academic formation--that we just aren't. We know who we are and we are not going to play that game. Of course we want to be as competitive as possible, and we are moving in that direction....but we will not try to keep up with the Joneses. Are there some alumni who wish we would try to match what Mater Dei is doing? Sure, but I believe those are outliers.

As long as Mater Dei persists in fielding all-star teams made up of 4-star transfers, you will continue to beat us--and perhaps badly. But that doesn't define us. 90% of the schools in Orange County would love to have our team. Just because a couple of teams have decided that anything less than a CIF and State title is unacceptable will not dictate our direction.

Look, even the best squads in recent Servite history--the 2010 CIF champs, the 2014 team that was pre-season ranked in the top 5 nationally--would stand little chance against the current Mater Dei team. That's just ridiculous.

So we look forward to better days in 2019 and going forward. Best of luck tonight. No injuries and good sportsmanship all around.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:I know.........And I know..........
:roll:

Never mind what you think you "know", that reads more like white flag than a mission statement...now that you've declared a premature end to their season and shoveled dirt onto the still breathing body, I hope the coaches are keeping you far away from their players...

Look, even the best squads in recent Servite history--the 2010 CIF champs, the 2014 team that was pre-season ranked in the top 5 nationally--would stand little chance against the current Mater Dei team. That's just ridiculous.

Yes, it is a ridiculous comparison. The 2014 team went 4-7 and holds the school record for longest losing streak (5 games). The 2010 team was good but likely would be no better than third in the Trinity this year.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Once again, your response only makes my point. That a relatively recent CIF champion would be no better than 3rd in the league this year speaks to how ridiculous things have gotten.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:25 pm

You like that phrase, don't you?

That 2010 Servite team would have a hard time beating any of the CIF champs since then, not sure why you use them as a comparison. Bosco? Nope. CC? Nope. MD? Nope. SMCHS? Nope. LB Poly? Maaaaaybe...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:30 pm

First quarter coming to a close and the prematurely buried Friars are putting up a way better fight than their supposed fans....
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:That 2010 Servite team would have a hard time beating any of the CIF champs since then, not sure why you use them as a comparison. Bosco? Nope. CC? Nope. MD? Nope. SMCHS? Nope. LB Poly? Maaaaaybe...
Considering Servite actually did beat the SMCHS CIF champion team with one inferior to their 2010 team, I'd disagree with your "nope." And if today's rules applied back then, Servite's 2009 state championship would have been good for at least eight to ten 4-star recruits transferring in just before the 2010 season.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Considering Servite actually did beat the SMCHS CIF champion team with one inferior to their 2010 team, I'd disagree with your "nope."

Yes, the very next year with many of the same players from their CIF team they squeaked by SM 43-42 in the regular season before the Eagles caught fire and ran the table...how about those MD, SJB and CC teams? No argument there I take it?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Pretty run by Harper and then Young puts a bow on it...

The undead Friars (who is that beast in the backfield? :shock: ) are putting up a good fight, but that turnaround-pick-6 deflated them...
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: Yes, the very next year with many of the same players from their CIF team
Are you trying to say you weren't wrong because some of the same players were on the team so somehow the 2011 team technically was the 2010 team? Except for Malik Felton, Troy Niklas, Jody Thomas, Matt Inman, Wyatt Baker, Karlton Dennis, Jordan Jones... basically seven or eight of their eleven defensive starters and their three best offensive players. Sure, bud, whatever you say.
Omar Bongo wrote: before the Eagles caught fire and ran the table
That was the last game of the regular season, man. What the hell are you talking about?
Omar Bongo wrote: how about those MD, SJB and CC teams? No argument there I take it?
I singled out Santa Margarita for the obvious reason. Hypothetically speaking, the 2010 team matches up well against all of those CC teams. Clearly no team, not even 2001 Poly, would beat 2013 Bosco or 2017 MD. But they wouldn't get blown out by any of them, either.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:35 pm

joefutbol wrote: Are you trying to say you weren't wrong because some of the same players were on the team so somehow the 2011 team technically was the 2010 team?
No.
joefutbol wrote: That was the last game of the regular season, man. What the hell are you talking about?
The playoffs, obviously. Do you just like to argue to argue?

SM 45 Amat 21 1st round
SM 49 LBP 16 2nd round
SM 21 MV 20 Semis
SM 27 SC 13 CIF Final
SM 42 Bellermine 37 State Bowl

I was thinking that perhaps if Servite had met SM in the CIF title game, the outcome might have been different...but if that thought upsets you, I'll concede it
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Nearing the end of the 3rd qtr. not sure why any of the MD starters are still in...
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:09 pm

#18 with a smart hustle play...made Dollars look silly
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 pm

for old-school fans, Servite will always be MD's biggest rival but for the newer generation, kids born in the 21'st century, Bosco has seem to become MD's biggest rival in their eyes.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:#18 with a smart hustle play...made Dollars look silly
Play of the game by Zedekiah Centers. Hustle beats Hot Dog.

Nice effort by the Friars to start the game, but the pick 6 after the fumble recovery took the air out. McKibben has a habit of throwing high at times, and it cost us our best chance to score a touchdown. The "beast" in the backfield was Isaiah Leuta-Ulu, a defensive lineman who was deployed effectively as a FB in the near-upset of Mission Viejo in the 1st round of last year's playoffs. Hasn't been used too much this year in that role but I hope that changes. He's an absolute load to tackle.

Nice win for Mater Dei. Having also watched some of the Bosco-JSerra game, I may have to give MD the edge now, provided they fire on all cylinders.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Seen that play happen in the pros numerous times but never in high school...

Another strange decision - when the punt bounced off Ricks' foot and he just stood there and watched as the Servite player fell on it :??
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 am

Scott Prohaska leaving Servite for MD, was the biggest factor that led to Servite's downfall according to Troy Thomas.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:58 am

I attended the MD Servite game and I must say, Servite is gutty. They don't seem to miss tackles. Not sure why Refs threw all their dirty laundry out all night. Again, kudos to Servite. They fought hard. MD better be more focused the next 3 games.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:16 am

Thomas repeatedly blowing off Rollinson in the post-game handshake line and return,along with his antics before and after post-game legacy drills was a fine display of sportsmanship, class and leadership.

Few of the assistants are right up there with him.

Age quod agis....credo.

Servite played hard on both lines, swarmed and flowed to the ball on defense, power back has nice feet.....hope to see them in second place soon.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 am

Omar Bongo wrote: The playoffs, obviously.
Gotcha. So they weren't trying their hardest with the league title on the line, or they just weren't yet firing on all cylinders during their 11th game (scrimmage included). Makes sense.
Omar Bongo wrote: I was thinking that perhaps if Servite had met SM in the CIF title game, the outcome might have been different...but if that thought upsets you, I'll concede it
Maybe that's what you were thinking, but that's not what you wrote.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Scott Prohaska leaving Servite for MD, was the biggest factor that led to Servite's downfall according to Troy Thomas.
I disagree with Tory there. I'd say going from a team with roughly 10 to 15 upperclassmen with D1 talent to a team with maybe three had a little bit more of an impact.