Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

joefutbol

Re: Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, it wasn't helmet to helmet. I'm saying the refs were the same as they've always been in just about every high school game I've seen. They miss some calls, there are some bad calls, and then the vast majority of the time they make the correct call/noncall. I'm not a fan of either team, but I am a fan of reality. And in reality, Mater Dei was penalized less than they usually are and they benefited from bad calls as much as DLS did.

Bama probably will stomp OU, and I'm not a fan of the teams in that game, either. But you still said Re-al Mitchell is a better quarterback than the guy who won the Heisman on Saturday. Now there's a reason for a giggly face.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm

The kid from OSU was the most deserving of the Heisman this year IMHO.

OU has only played 4 teams with a winning record. 3 teams that went 6-6 and 5 teams with a losing record.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:20 am

joefutbol wrote:Here is your "late hit" penalty --

Still think that was the right call?
Yes, in full motion, he was slowing down! Doesn't matter. Bryce is one cool customer and would have led them down the field anyway.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 am

[quote="jb914"]I don't know Joefutbol, pic looks like helmet to helmet to me. Maybe he's lucky he didn't get ejected, after all the refs don't have replay in HS.

Yes, jb914, you have to watch the whole play; definitely helmet to helmet, Young was even
slowing down on the play going out of bounds, DLS player should have been ejected.
End of story.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am

A great season for the Monarchs. A well deserved state title and at least one poll will, and should, name them national champions.

I thought the late hit was given because of the presumption of it being out of bounds when you consider how far Bryce went sliding. Often as an official you assume something based on the reaction/flight/sound when you didn't actually see the spot where it took place.

On the last MD punt where the punter was obliterated, no flag was thrown. They did decline an earlier running into the kicker back near their own goaline. The official on the MD sideline had some real problems finding the correct spot to place the ball on several plays. Much of it seemed to be on option plays or sacks where they had trouble determining forward progress, but a few including back to back plays at midfield were yards off where they should have marked them.

MD has been their own worst enemy in every game I've seen of theirs this year; most of it stupid PF type stuff.

DLS tried to play their linemen both ways but in the second half when MD went a bit more uptempo they had to rotate the DL out and you saw MD handle them up front for those 3rd qtr scores. Not sure why DLS went with so much veer option in the second half when it was a disaster all game but the misdirection stuff was frequently a shoe string tackle away from breaking big. MD may need to re-evaluate what they are doing on special teams. They have the dudes to be elite, but the schemes or time spent on them seem to let them down every week. It is telling just how good they are that they can overcome the Raider-esque penalties & the special teams to win each week.

One last gripe, I haven't seen so much smoking in the stands since SC games back in the early 80's! Perhaps I've just gotten used to (and enjoyed) how smoke free California is that I was blown away by the numbers of people who just openly smoked with others right around them. Crazy.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 am

this should start at the hit on Bryce. It's the way he went at his head/neck area and certainly looks helmet to helmet. Refs all over all calling this all year in HS and College. They want the head injuries to stop, so, you can bitch about it but, this is the new normal.

RPW

Post by RPW » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:28 am

it wasn't helmet to helmet
I am The Voice of Reason

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 am

Not by a long shot. Time to get those prescriptions checked, fellas.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:10 pm

joefutbol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 am

Not by a long shot. time to get those prescriptions checked, fellas.
We didn't throw the flag Joefutbol, the refs did. take it up with them. :lol:

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:47 pm

They're not the ones claiming helmet to helmet contact.

RPW

Post by RPW » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 pm

I talked to the ref, he said that was not helmet to helmet and on replay the late hit was a bad call.
I am The Voice of Reason

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:27 pm

I talked with 2 refs and they said he should have been ejected

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I talk to myself all the time .. still wrong half the time ... ask my kids
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm

And I have eyes that work.
watchersince68 wrote: I talked with 2 refs and they said he should have been ejected
It's ok, watcher, we know you know.
cruiser wrote: Yes, jb914, you have to watch the whole play; definitely helmet to helmet,
Space between the helmets the entire time. Facemask square in the shoulder.

RPW

Post by RPW » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:44 pm

watchersince68 wrote: I talked with 2 refs and they said he should have been ejected
Garden Grove YMCA Badminton refs do not count
I am The Voice of Reason

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

The best 2018 game / victory for the 2nd Natty was the Mater Dei's win against IMG. Better than the Mission Viejo, BG, Cen 10, SJB and DLS conquest victories. I would rate the IMG victory the best in the Mater Dei storied history. :mrgreen:

Red

Post by Red » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Exocet! What's gotten in to you? Are you feeling okay?
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Exocet 98 wrote:The best 2018 game / victory for the 2nd Natty was the Mater Dei's win against IMG. Better than the Mission Viejo, BG, Cen 10, SJB and DLS conquest victories. I would rate the IMG victory the best in the Mater Dei storied history. :mrgreen:
While IMG arguably may be the most talented team they ever beat, that is a far reach to say it is the best victory for the program ever. You have to consider championships as greater. Off the top of my head there are 3 in particular where MD was a prohibitive underdog and won. 1991 vs Eisenhower, 1994 vs Bishop Amat and this year versus Bosco. All 3 of these wins are greater wins for the program IMO.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Checked the DLS board to see what their armchair QBs had to say about the game...pretty much the same as here. I guess they don't have enough experience to be gracious losers --:--

"Mater Dei plays under whole different set of rules..."

"The open division competition is now analogous to comparing the difference in productivity between organically grown crops and GMO super-crops..."

"MD has completely compromised all principles for the sake of winning..."

"Transfers and cheating with garbage refs get you the win in state..."

"It's sickening to me how DLS is getting the shaft..."

"The "best" means nothing if it is not accomplished with integrity and MD has zero..."

"Within the highly competitive Trinity League, Mater Dei is No. 1 with 71 (!) transfers listed..."

"Mater Dei transfers included...Bru McCoy who is 5 star WR, think this is his third school..." ( :eh?: )

"MD o-line held on every single play. Foski was in a chokehold all night and no calls. Egregious..."

Apparently there's lot of pent up frustration that didn't get relieved by winning their league games by an average score of 52-6...I wonder what those teams think of De La Salle?

Oh, and this was interesting as well:

"...a lot of local folks sitting with us on DLS side...met some Bosco folks who were definitely rooting for the Spartans" :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump