PC Police Flag the Trinity League

Credo ut intelligam

PC Police Flag the Trinity League

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 pm

I know Eric Sondheimer elicits some sharp reactions on this board. Now he's taking a shot at the hiring practices in the TL.

For all its prowess, the Trinity League is behind the times when it comes to hiring African American coaches
By ERIC SONDHEIMER
JAN 03, 2019
In talent-rich and diverse Southern California, the Trinity League, made up of six private schools, continues to attract top athletes and elite coaches, using past success, creative transportation options and financial solutions, and a growing presence on social media to promote its programs.

There is one area, however, where the league has failed miserably. It lacks minority head coaches in its most visible sports of football, basketball and baseball. There are no African American head coaches even though many of the schools’ best athletes are African American. The last African American coach was Derrick Taylor, who was basketball coach at Bellflower St. John Bosco for four seasons ending in 2015.

“I can’t believe you can’t find a qualified man of color to coach in that league,” said Taylor, who guided the Braves to a Southern Section and state title.

Perhaps it’s time for parents to start speaking up and encouraging the administrators at St. John Bosco, Santa Ana Mater Dei, Orange Lutheran, Anaheim Servite, Santa Margarita and San Juan Capistrano JSerra to go outside their comfort zone the next time an opening exists and widen the circle of candidates.

Read the full article here: https://www.latimes.com/sports/highscho ... story.html

jb914

Re: PC Police Flag the Trinity League

Postby jb914 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Sondy should apply for a job with TMZ or the National Enquirer. He is easily the most biased report in SoCal HS sports. He writes about topics like transfers, but, only focuses on when it happens in OC or specifically MD. Tweets to stir the pot. I no longer read his stuff on line or social media.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Well, Sondheimer doesn't like hi tier private schools anyway. He pretty much writes negative
stuff about the Trinity league, especially one team in general (the one that in not in LA county)
Remember he is an LA county guy,he only reports on OC teams because he is obligated to do so.

He likes to stir the pot,anyway he can, that's his job,so to speak, though he is a ****
about it now and then,anything to get the views with his name on it.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule violation removed

broman

Postby broman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post There is one area, however, where the league has failed miserably. It lacks minority head coaches in its most visible sports of football, basketball and baseball. There are no African American head coaches even though many of the schools’ best athletes are African American

If that is all it took to "stir your pot" you might have some bigger issues you need to deal with.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:13 pm

broman, those are Sondheimer's words you quoted--not mine. If my quoting an L.A. Times article on Trinity League athletics triggers you to respond with a meaningless troll post, it might be you who has issues. Or is this OBongo using another "alias?"

Try being a bro or a man--not a snowflake.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm

At last! An obscure high school football reporter has cast light on the dark side of Trinity League football. As if it were not discriminatory enough that none of the 5 Orange County Trinity League teams have an African-American head football coach in a county that is 2.1% black……..

It gets worse. Much worse, I’m afraid. The Asian American presence is 21% in the county and yet less than 1 in 5 HSFB players throughout the league are Asian American. Further, both Santa Margarita and Servite have a black player presence of approximately 6% indicating a 3 fold greater percentage than it should be were not racism prevalent. It is even more shameful at Orange Lutheran and JSerra where some 15% - or more, if one can believe it - of the players are African-American. I dare not reveal the misrepresentation at Mater Dei for fear of triggering social unrest.

Why this hateful discrimination against Asian and white football players and African-American head coaches? The potential causes are legion: white supremacy, global warming, capitalism, Donald Trump, income inequality, Brexit, nationalism, The Wall, etc.

Keep digging, Mr Sondheimer! Do not be deterred by those who would advocate commonsense! What America needs now - more than ever - is more HSFB reporters speaking truth to power……………Luca

broman

Postby broman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post Try being a bro or a man--not a snowflake.

Some snowflakes have "hands". :wink:

broman

Postby broman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:53 pm

I guess only "certain people" can bitch and moan about the Trinity League and race is not an approved topic.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 pm

For the sake of more views and clicks, Eric Sondheimer has made himself an irrelevant laughingstock. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:13 pm

Anybody who wants to can bitch, Broman, but it would be helpful if he were actually familiar with the reality.

Your analysis may differ from mine, but it would seem to me that if less than 15% or so of the players are African-American in a county that is 2.1% African-American it does not indicate discrimination when none of the football head head coaches are African-American.

I have not done any recent racial analysis on the Bellflower St. John Bosco program but, what the heck, I'll just throw this one out there: their current head coach is 79–9 over the last 6 years so they may not be inclined to "go outside their comfort zone" and arbitrarily hire an African-American head coach merely to establish their PC creds........Luca

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Luca wrote:Source of the post As if it were not discriminatory enough that none of the 5 Orange County Trinity League teams have an African-American head football coach in a county that is 2.1% black……..

I think the population to compare there would be the OC coaching community and not the general population.

I agree that the "requirements" lately that individuals "of color" be included in anything and everything are just silly, bordering on just plain wrong, but it does seem a little odd that there aren't any.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Postby broman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Luca wrote:Source of the post Your analysis may differ from mine

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post Perhaps it’s time for parents to start speaking up and encouraging the administrators at St. John Bosco, Santa Ana Mater Dei, Orange Lutheran, Anaheim Servite, Santa Margarita and San Juan Capistrano JSerra to go outside their comfort zone the next time an opening exists and widen the circle of candidates.

I don't see what he wrote and how he framed the argument to be offensive in any kind of way. It could be an issue as things continue to change.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm

John Q. Public wrote:
I agree that the "requirements" lately that individuals "of color" be included in anything and everything are just silly, bordering on just plain wrong, but it does seem a little odd that there aren't any.

Why?

Broman wrote:I don't see what he wrote and how he framed the argument to be offensive in any kind of way.

It's not offensive. It's funny............Luca

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Postby FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:48 pm

cruiser wrote:Source of the post Well, Sondheimer doesn't like hi tier private schools anyway.

Except that one school that wears blue, and just opened a new stadium that Sondy provided weekly construction updates about. The one with the popular spring game BBQ that he advertises. The one with the former QB, now living in Arizona, that he is constantly promoting on Twitter (in between interceptions, blowout losses, and coach firings).

By the way, is Jason Negro not Hispanic? Kiki Mendoza definitely is.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm surprised no one is asking why, at the LA Times, the head High School sportswriter position for the racially diverse Los Angeles HS sports universe has always been a white dude, never in its history a person of color...curious, no?

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Or is this OBongo using another "alias?"

Still obsessed with me? Still personally attacking other posters? Take a break for a while, get outside and enjoy life...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post I'm surprised no one is asking why, at the LA Times, the head High School sportswriter position for the racially diverse Los Angeles HS sports universe has always been a white dude, never in its history a person of color...curious, no?

Now that's a great take! Credit where credit is due.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Source of the post Except that one school that wears blue, and just opened a new stadium that Sondy provided weekly construction updates about. The one with the popular spring game BBQ that he advertises. The one with the former QB, now living in Arizona, that he is constantly promoting on Twitter (in between interceptions, blowout losses, and coach firings).

Very Braves of Sondy to bring this up then....
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Source of the post By the way, is Jason Negro not Hispanic? Kiki Mendoza definitely is.

Negro looks Blanco to me.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I agree that the "requirements" lately that individuals "of color" be included in anything and everything are just silly, bordering on just plain wrong, but it does seem a little odd that there aren't any.

Actually, it's not a bit odd. Orange County has 3 million people. Assume you have a bag containing 3 million widgets and 2% of them are black. If you randomly pick out six of them (to hire as Trinity League head football coaches), the chances that even one of them would be black is only about 12%...or there's an almost 90% chance you'd get all white "coaches".

The only way to ensure you ended up with a black "coach" is to specifically pick through the bag and look for one. I think you'd agree that's not how coaches should be hired.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:22 pm

The pool is actually the coaches in OC, not the general population. And Sondheimer mentioned football, basketball and baseball. And I didn't say anything was rigged; only that it was a little odd - especially with basketball in the mix.

But Servite hiring LaVar Ball might get Sondheimer and the cranks in that thread to quiet down. Or at least to complain about something else.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Has he ever taken a look at the assistant coaches in football and boys/girls BB at JSerra?

Return to “High School”