Illegal immigration: wrong then, wrong now

Wabash

Re: Illegal immigration: wrong then, wrong now

Post by Wabash » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/politics ... index.html
Trump's biggest issue is that he wants funding of a US-Mexico border wall. While that may be popular with his base, Americans have been consistently opposed to a border wall. Before the shutdown, they opposed it by about a 10-to-20 point margin. There's no sign that's changed in the latest polling.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:I think we'll look back with gratitude after the border is finally secured after 35 years of D.C. politicians
A wall isn't going to secure the border. Only a fool believes that.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote: Democrats are on the wrong side of the American people
The Daily Caller...ROFL
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:30 am

"Trump has been consistent on this. "

HAHAHAHAHA...consistent...good one. :giggle:
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Here is Trump in March of 2016 explaining that Mexico will pay for the Wall thru the money we save on trade negotiations. Trump has been consistent on this.
Bullcrap.

From a Trump/Pence Campaign Policy Paper...

COMPELLING MEXICO TO PAY FOR THE WALL:

It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion (in foreign remittances to relatives in Mexico) continues to flow into their country year after year.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160721080 ... r-the-wall

Yeah, easy... :roll:

So easy, in fact, that it's actually Mexico that's been consistent on this for the last 3 years - a consistent "F-you, Trump"...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:31 am

Vilepagan wrote:"Trump has been consistent on this. "

HAHAHAHAHA...consistent...good one. :giggle:
No kidding! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!

Trump supporters are even more deluded than Trump himself!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:32 am

I found out that the wall and the wheel are "medieval" technologies. True, according to Trump. Turns out, the wheel was invented before walls, and they still use them on "expenses" cars.

Fascinating.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 am

Love it when Don "explains" things that everybody understands except him.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am

Who knew Mexico was the world leader in high performance vehicles that mainly turn left?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

You probably didn't know that. Not many people do.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 pm

crayegg wrote:Who knew Mexico was the world leader in high performance vehicles that mainly turn left?
NASCARMexico

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm

The GoFundMe page We The People Will Build the Wall is coming along. As of now it's raised $20,225,279 of $1.0B goal.

Their advisory board includes:
Brigadier General Dr. Robert S. Spalding III

Industrialist John Daniel Moran, Jr.

Ex-Navy SEAL and businessman Erik Prince,

Former Secretary of State of Kansas Kris Kobach,

Angel Mom Mary Ann Mendoza

Law enforcement and immigration expert Sheriff David Clarke

Fox news contributor and border security expert Sara A. Carter

Former Colorado Congressman and presidential candidate Tom Tancredo

Angel Dad Steve Ronnebeck

Media consultant and journalist Jennifer Lawrence

and many others.

They have unanimously decided that

-The federal government won’t be able to accept our donations anytime soon.

-We are better equipped than our own government to use the donated funds to build an actual wall on the southern border.

-Our highly experienced team is highly confident that we can complete significant segments of the wall in less time, and for far less money, than the federal government, while meeting or exceeding all required regulatory, engineering, and environmental specifications.

-Our team strongly believes that we can complete our segments of the wall for less than half of the government’s estimated costs on a per mile basis.
If they reach their goal of $1 billion, they think they can build up to 200 miles of the wall.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

In the interest of fair play:

Ladders to Get Over Trump's Wall
We saw some folks are raising money for a border wall to keep out our migrant siblings …
Last donation 17m ago
$160,720 raised of $100.0M
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Well, if nothing else, they've demonstrated how much a billion is. They're 2% of the way to their goal and 0.3% of the way to Donald's $5.7 billion.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:48 am

Professor Fate wrote: Law enforcement and immigration expert Sheriff David Clarke
Wow, David Clarke was the Sheriff of Milwaukee County, and now he's an immigration expert? Who knew? Certainly not Mr. Clarke since he makes no such claim himself. Why do you think he's an immigration expert?
Fox news contributor and border security expert Sara A. Carter
Ms. Carter is a reporter for FOX...what makes her an "expert" on border security?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 am

Vilepagan wrote: Ms. Carter is a reporter for FOX...what makes her an "expert" on border security?
When I was just starting out I had an old boss who defined an expert.

"Someone 20 miles from home with a briefcase."
Attachments
I'm an expert.jpg
I'm an expert.jpg (13.2 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 am

It would seem that most of what the professor posted was exaggerated for some reason.

This what the "We Will Build The Wall Inc." page has about some of these individuals:

Kris Kobach — Secretary Kobach served as the Secretary of State of the State of Kansas from 2011-2019. A leader in the national effort to stop voter fraud, he drafted and pushed for the Kansas Secure and Fair Elections (SAFE) Act of 2011, which made Kansas the first state in the Union to combine photo ID requirements at the polls, equivalent ID requirements for mail-in ballots, and proof of citizenship at the time of registration.

John Daniel Moran, Jr. — Mr. Moran is an American businessman, entrepreneur and industrialist best known for his role as President & CEO of Moran Industries, Inc., a premier warehousing, logistics and transportation company based in Pennsylvania that was founded in 1975.

Erik Prince — Mr. Prince is an American businessman and Navy SEAL best known as the founder of the security firm Blackwater. He serves as Chairman of Frontier Resource Group, a private equity fund investing in natural resource opportunities in frontier markets.

Dr. Robert S. Spalding III, Brig Gen, USAF (Ret.) — General Spalding is an accomplished innovator in government and a national security policy strategist. He was the chief architect of the framework for national competition in the Trump Administration’s widely praised National Security Strategy (NSS), and the Senior Director for Strategy to the President.

“Angel Dad” Steve Ronnebeck — Mr. Ronnebeck lost his 21-year-old son Grant, who was brutally executed by a criminal illegal immigrant over for a pack of cigarettes while working at a convenience store in 2015. Steve has dedicated himself to protecting other families from suffering needless tragedies at the hands of people who have no business being here in the first place through his work with the Ronnebeck Foundation. He is frequently seen campaigning with President Trump.

“Angel Mom” Mary Ann Mendoza — Ms. Mendoza lost her son Brandon in 2014, after his police car was hit by an intoxicated driver who was in the U.S. illegally. She is one of several parents who have been meeting with President Trump about how to tighten restrictions on immigrants in the country illegally.

Sara Carter — Ms. Carter is an award-winning Fox News commentator who specializes in reporting on the border and opioid crisis.

Sheriff David Clarke — Sheriff Clarke is an American former law enforcement official who served as Sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. He is an outspoken activist and commentator on illegal immigration.

Congressman Tom Tancredo — Mr. Tancredo is a former United States Congressman who has been referred to as Congress' most vociferous critic of current immigration policy. He served in the Reagan Administration and ran for President of the United States in the 2008 election.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... D-GoFundMe

So as you can see, many of these people on the "advisory board" are there because they agree with the founder of the site and not because they have any special knowledge about immigration, the border, or how to best secure the border. In short they're totally unqualified.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 am

Professor Fate wrote: If they reach their goal of $1 billion, they think they can build up to 200 miles of the wall.
Well, there's a lot of obstacles but it's their money to throw away.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am

Fools and their money are easily parted.

In further news, Gofundme is either going to refund all the money or donate it to a charity (part of their user's agreement apparently.) The basic problem is innumeracy. The chuckleheads involved didn't really realize the actual magnitude represented by the number 1,000,000,000.

I think I nice donation to benefit homeless veterans would be better than a refund. No need in giving the money back.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am

Fordama wrote: I think I nice donation to benefit homeless veterans would be better than a refund.
Given that one of the founders of the "build the wall" movement is a triple-amputee war hero (according to their site) I should think that would be appropriate.