"the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Poll on this from Quinnipiac. Others are similar. The first says this is political suicide, the second is a warning for Progressives, the third, maybe a suggestion for Progressives. Look at the switch Republicans made between 2 and 3.

quinnipiac HC poll 3-25-19.jpg

Don't look at me, I just work here.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm not sure what "buying into Medicare" means.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 pm

The only proposal I've heard of on that is to allow people between 50 and 65 to qualify for Medicare by kicking in an extra $X a month. No idea what X would be at this point but I will say it's sure nice not having any qualms about whether or not you can afford to get care when you need it. I had decent insurance before but Medicare's been downright nice.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:24 am

Guess who said this:

“He should be forced out of office,”

“He is a disgrace to our country.”

“In one way you could say it’s a crime what he did,"..."because … he was making horrible statements that he knew were false."

Who said that and who were they talking about?

Amazingly that was uttered by trump...about Adam Schiff...isn't it interesting that trump thinks a Congressman should resign for lying. There's also the "forced out of office" comment...does he even know how that might be accomplished?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am

Schiff only won his last election by 55 points. Let's hope Trump stays focused on that and not something important like healthcare.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:05 pm

The guy's incapable of saying anything without lying. I count six lies in this series, none of which serve any purpose in supporting his contention. :bonk:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Speaking of the boy who cried "Massive caravans invading our southern border!", I'm hearing that maybe illegal immigration from one of the Mexican countries (I think either Old Mexico or El Mexico) actually is on the rise. Except nobody believes it besides than the MAGA crowd. #-o

From what you have read or heard, do you think there is currently a national emergency along the U.S.-Mexico border?
Yes 39%
No 58%
(NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll, 2/15-17/19)

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 am

Can he please keep his story straight for at least one day? Now he is claiming he never wanted to address healthcare till after 2020.

Claiming the GOP has a better plan. But they refuse to show it.

What idiot believes that at this point in time? The GOP had two years to offer up a better alternative and they did nothing but try to repeal Obamacare.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 am

No predictions on what Republicans come up with or when, but "you have to elect us to see what it is," like it's some kind of game show, doesn't sound like a good idea for any of their candidates. I give that gambit a week, tops.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:35 pm

The Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee issued a subpoena for the last six years of Trump's tax returns. Trump is vowing to fight them all the way to the Supreme Court.

I doubt there is anything that would rise to the level of an impeachable offense. What could possibly be there that would terrify him to that level?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 pm

I heard he only requested them. And I assume Mnuchin would deny the request. No idea what the precedent is on that sort of thing but it could be interesting.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:15 am

Wabash wrote:Source of the post The Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee issued a subpoena for the last six years of Trump's tax returns. Trump is vowing to fight them all the way to the Supreme Court.

No he didn't. I'm not sure where you heard this bs but it's not true and neither is your alleged response from trump. You really should be more careful about what you post.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:36 am

Huh?

Technically you are correct. The Ways and Means Chair sent a letter. Not a subpoena.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unexplained link removed

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 am

Wabash wrote:Source of the post Huh? Technically you are correct.

I see. Does that mean that "technically" you were incorrect about trump claiming he'd "take it all the way to the SC"?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:33 am

Sure. I reread the article. It stated that Trump would probably take it to the Supreme Court.

Which doesn't change my original point.

Why is he so worried about what is in his returns?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Politico with the answer on this. Congress' justification is weak unless it's part of impeachment proceedings. Mueller, federal prosecutors or someone else under DOJ jurisdiction probably could obtain them, though.

First, the law. While it is true that IRS Code 6103(f) appears to give the committee the power to get tax returns, the statue must be exercised in a way consistent with Congress’s constitutional authority. The Supreme Court has said that Congress has broad authority to conduct inquiries, but that its authority is not unlimited. In the 1881 case of Kilbourn v. Thompson, the Supreme Court held that Congress can’t use its powers to delve into someone’s private financial matters unless there is a proper legislative purpose. In 1957, the Supreme Court held in Watkins v. U.S. that a congressional information demand must relate to a “legitimate task of the Congress,” and noted that Congress is not a “law enforcement agency” that can seek information to uncover or expose crimes.

So the legal question will be: Is Congress’s purpose in seeking the president’s tax returns legitimate? As an initial matter, Congress cannot plausibly argue that it is exercising its impeachment authority since House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic leaders have explicitly disclaimed that the House is conducting an impeachment inquiry.

This is a substantial limitation, as courts have recognized that under our Constitution, Congress’s impeachment powers are vast and exclusive. Instead of invoking impeachment, though, the committee said in its letter to the IRS that its purpose in seeking the president’s tax returns included, but was “not limited to, the extent to which the IRS audits and enforces the federal tax laws against a president.”

The administration would likely argue that this is not a legitimate reason to obtain all of the president’s business and tax returns since 2013, particularly since it could be accomplished without knowing the details of all of the president’s tax information.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... rns-226571

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

We have to assume that whatever damaging information is in there is fairly current. What could it be? That he claimed no charitable deductions? Everyone already knows he is a miser, so that wouldn't be big news. That he claimed huge charitable deductions for giving money to his own foundation? New York State is already on that case. The most plausible thing that would show up on a tax return and would be damaging would be transactions involving Russia, such as deductions for interest paid to Russian banks for loans, capital gains or losses on Russian real estate deals, etc. These would undercut his statements that he has no business with Russia.

Not grounds for impeachment. But certainly enough to hurt him politically in areas where he is already vulnerable.

broman

Postby broman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:23 pm

The tax returns should be framed around national security. Do the Presidents past business activities, current business activities , and debt ratio impact his political decisions. Have foreign governments tried use the Trump org. to impact policy? Focus on what is in the public record and make that the narrative. Like I said, should, the "D's" could miss this up again... #-o

broman

Postby broman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Wabash wrote:Source of the post The most plausible thing that would show up on a tax return and would be damaging would be transactions involving Russia, such as deductions for interest paid to Russian banks for loans, capital gains or losses on Russian real estate deals, etc. These would undercut his statements that he has no business with Russia.

You don't need the tax return to do that, Trump already told us he was trying to get a Trump Tower in Moscow. Like I said in my earlier post, it has to be used properly.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Like the clip I posted said, Congress can generally only get his taxes if it's part of a prosecution, impeachment being the only prosecution Congress does. Ways and Means, however, did a little twist by saying that they want to investigate how the IRS treats the president's taxes, which is within its purview but I kind of doubt it will fly. Another committee might have better grounds for a request.

And there is this:

Return to “National”