A TL parent sees Texas HSFB live for the first time-observations

daddyooo

A TL parent sees Texas HSFB live for the first time-observations

Post by daddyooo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:48 pm

On a sales trip last week had the chance to fulfill a major bucket list item-to see live top-level (6A) HSFB in Texas-which I accomplished last Friday. Southlake Carroll vs Guyer (Denton)-two state top 10 teams (both top 50 nationally). Carroll won 46-34

My observations:

1) Carroll is superbly coached. Masters of throw-first spread-receivers all ran perfect routes, QB big time talent with very bright future (sophomore Quinn Ewers).
2) Guyer is very talented, not as well coached (wouldn't say poorly coached though). Definitely won the eyeball test.
3) Couldn't understand why Guyer didn't try to put more pressure on QB. They ran the same 4 man front the entire game, no blitz packages-which gave the QB unlimited time to throw.
4) Stadium was best HSFB stadium I've ever been in. No running track, all the bells/whistles, great parking, concessions, sightlines. Closest thing to it in southern CA is Santa Ana Bowl (Mater Dei's home field)-which needs renovations.
5)The "show" around the game (bands, cheerleaders, etc) is light years ahead of the best in CA. Bands sound like D-1 college bands, not HS bands.

For this audience-don't think either team would bother Bosco/Mater Dei, but would be more than a handful for anyone else. MD equal coaching level to Carroll, but with D-1 talent at every position. Same for Bosco. Having said that-you put the Carroll QB in at either school and you wouldn't miss a beat.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: A TL parent sees Texas HSFB live for the first time-observations

Post by crayegg » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:19 am

Great post, thanks.

hocyouthguy

Post by hocyouthguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 am

daddyooo wrote:On a sales trip last week had the chance to fulfill a major bucket list item-to see live top-level (6A) HSFB in Texas-which I accomplished last Friday. Southlake Carroll vs Guyer (Denton)-two state top 10 teams (both top 50 nationally). Carroll won 46-34

My observations:

1) Carroll is superbly coached. Masters of throw-first spread-receivers all ran perfect routes, QB big time talent with very bright future (sophomore Quinn Ewers).
2) Guyer is very talented, not as well coached (wouldn't say poorly coached though). Definitely won the eyeball test.
3) Couldn't understand why Guyer didn't try to put more pressure on QB. They ran the same 4 man front the entire game, no blitz packages-which gave the QB unlimited time to throw.
4) Stadium was best HSFB stadium I've ever been in. No running track, all the bells/whistles, great parking, concessions, sightlines. Closest thing to it in southern CA is Santa Ana Bowl (Mater Dei's home field)-which needs renovations.
5)The "show" around the game (bands, cheerleaders, etc) is light years ahead of the best in CA. Bands sound like D-1 college bands, not HS bands.

For this audience-don't think either team would bother Bosco/Mater Dei, but would be more than a handful for anyone else. MD equal coaching level to Carroll, but with D-1 talent at every position. Same for Bosco. Having said that-you put the Carroll QB in at either school and you wouldn't miss a beat.
Quite the coincidence as word on the street is that the Carrol QB *IS* headed for MD next year. What are the odds?!

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 am

why would he go to MD? Carroll is a top-notch program with great tradition and coaching. Not the same level of talent (especially at skill spots) as you would have at MD or Bosco though.

Moose

Post by Moose » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Who is saying the Carrol QB is transferring? We already have good QB in waiting. Is he really good enough to play at MD?

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Mr. Moose that QB in waiting will never start a meaningful varsity game for MD. There will be a transfer QB arriving at MD in January.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am

I’ve seen Texas HSFB in person too, and it is quite the show. The whole weekend really, from pep rally to postgame ho-down. Amazing atmosphere, and the towns really do shut down for games, even the Dallas suburbs which are densely populated. The kids are little celebrities for their short varsity careers, signs in the yard, full school full town pep rallies every week. Varsity Blues. Coach Kilmer. “I’ve won 23 district titles!” All that.

The facilities, 20 man coaching staffs, pristine $70M stadiums, and big money booster clubs are all very impressive until you start realizing Texas ball is mostly pomp and circumstance. Most of the thousands of teams in the thousands of little towns there would get embarrassed if they left the state to play top competition, which is why the Texas UIL (High School association) is so adamant that they only play home games against out of state competition.

That includes the 6A teams, who are not necessarily any more well coached or trained than California teams — who also train year round (too much) in even better weather and have access to just as much team and private coaching.

There are only 3-4 current teams in the entire Lone Star state that could even compete with MD/Bosco, and they are all nationally ranked. Not even Duncanville, who I’ve seen on film beating the same St Johns team MD beat (in Texas of course), has the horses or the scheme/team to win a head to head with MD/SJB this year, especially not if they had to travel to SoCal (which they won’t).

The proud Texans would use recruiting as an excuse, as if Allen hasn’t recruited entire families of transfers and middle schoolers to move into its district, even before Kyler Murray’s dad Kevin moved them in from Lewisville. And as if Duncanville doesn’t get kids from all around Dallas since hiring Dallas Skyline High’s former coach, including robbing neighboring DeSoto and Cedar Hill’s districts for players. And as if North Shore’s district isn’t a player magnet for the best kids from around Houston.

Texas has a ton more programs and the monetary investment into each one is unparalleled around the country. But their best teams couldn’t beat California’s best, even in their own packed stadiums. They are still steaming about Gorman and it’s “unfair advantages” coming in and boat racing Dallas area power Cedar Hill on ESPN 3 years ago. That’s partly why they ducked games against the Golden State’s best this offseason.

Moose

Post by Moose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 am

There is really good football in Texas...You say there is only 3-4 teams that could compete with MD/SJB. I will take your word on that. How many in California can do the same?

You speak of BG beating CH TX and leave out that BG also beat CIF best team SJB that year and did it with some really good players out with injuries.

I know after that one team in Texas beat DLS - I would stay cool until one of our best proves It on the field.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am

Man, I wish you guys would spell out the names of schools. "BG" to me means Bassett Grande, which is the name of a gang, "SJB" sounds like a coffee and "DLS" sounds like a delivery service. I feel like I need to hire a codetalker. ](*,)
Don't look at me, I just work here.

templar83

Post by templar83 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 am

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST "SJB" sounds like a coffee
So to you MD/SJB means teams of medical doctors and coffee growers? Are you moderating this board from out of the area? LOL

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am

Closer to BG than I am to BG.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:15 am

From what I saw-I'm not convinced that Carroll/Guyer could compete with MD/SJB. They would both have a hard time with CC/JSerra/MV also. Carroll is CDM or Calabasas -all three have problems against teams that can run and pass and pressure their QB.

The "show" is unparalled though. Bands sound like Power 5 college bands, cheer squads/baton girls, et unparalled.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST "BG" to me means Bassett Grande, which is the name of a gang,
Man, if Mod only knew the meaning of “set trippin’”, this would be it LOL (we don’t want to cause any further confusion)
templar83 wrote:QR_BBPOST So to you MD/SJB means teams of medical doctors and coffee growers? Are you moderating this board from out of the area?
Couldn’t have said it better
daddyooo wrote:QR_BBPOST The "show" is unparalled though. Bands sound like Power 5 college bands, cheer squads/baton girls, et unparalled.
Agree; as I mentioned above the pomp and circumstance is unparalleled at the HS level. And depending on the town in Texas, the bands sound like HBCU college bands, complete with the cheer squads/drum majors.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Moose wrote:QR_BBPOST You speak of BG beating CH TX and leave out that BG also beat ... SJB
Moose wrote:QR_BBPOST I know after that one team in Texas beat DLS - I would stay cool until one of our best proves It on the field.
Lol why do I need to cite each of Gorman’s wins that year in order to discuss their humiliation of a 3-time Texas state champ and it being part of Texas teams’ motivation for ducking certain OOS games and refusing to play any outside of Texas?

And “one of our best” contacted each of the only 4 teams in Texas I mentioned above that could compete with them, this offseason, and each of the 4 turned down the fade (interpretation: declined) ... even when given the opportunity to host (as if there was a choice). That’s pretty embarrassing. But it’s much better for those proud Texas HS coaches association members to coach their teams to wins over Atascocita or West Mesquite in a pre-district matchup, than get humiliated again by another out of state private school on a national broadcast lol ...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote:QR_BBPOST Man, if Mod only knew the meaning of “set trippin’”, this would be it LOL (we don’t want to cause any further confusion)
They're an Eme affiliate. You might consult Roadrunner on whether or not they'd use Crip terminology.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote:Lol why do I need to cite each of Gorman’s wins that year in order to discuss their humiliation of a 3-time Texas state champ and it being part of Texas teams’ motivation for ducking certain OOS games and refusing to play any outside of Texas?

And “one of our best” contacted each of the only 4 teams in Texas I mentioned above that could compete with them, this offseason, and each of the 4 turned down the fade (interpretation: declined) ... even when given the opportunity to host (as if there was a choice). That’s pretty embarrassing. But it’s much better for those proud Texas HS coaches association members to coach their teams to wins over Atascocita or West Mesquite in a pre-district matchup, than get humiliated again by another out of state private school on a national broadcast lol ...
Moose is a ----- from Texas that discovered this sight today.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule violation removed

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Irony - "OutOfState" complaining that someone is from out of state.

And it's "who" and "site".

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm

John Q. Public wrote:QR_BBPOST rony - "OutOfState" complaining that someone is from out of state.

And it's "who" and "site".
Thanks for the grammar lesson. I’m a SoCal native and have been posting here for quite a few years, despite living out of state. I did not realize ‘troll’ was a banned word on this SITE.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 pm

It isn't. But being unwelcoming to new members is. Regardless of where you think they're from.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Enough fellas, let's get back to raving about TX HS bands
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump