The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Wabash

Re: The Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Post by Wabash » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:56 am

I didn't understand. Thanks for the clarification.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:23 pm
Pelosi? What's her move here?
George Conway and Neal Katyal recommend that she send only the second Article (obstruction) to the Senate and hold the first one and threaten to re-open it to pressure McConnell.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Now that Bolton is willing to testify why not call him to the House?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm

I think that's the feeling. There's no legal grounds to comply with a Senate subpoena but not a House subpoena. But Trump can still sue to try to stall it for a few months.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 am

Trump is now stating that he will block Bolton from testifying to the Senate.

Because innocent people always block the witnesses that could exonerate them.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 am

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Friday that she's been working with "a fairly small group" of Republican senators to make sure witnesses can be called in President Donald Trump's impending Senate impeachment trial.

"We should be completely open to calling witnesses," Collins told reporters in Bangor, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, has said he'd "love to hear" what Bolton has to say. Bolton's lawyer has said he has pertinent information about the White House's dealings with Ukraine that has not been disclosed publicly.

Other moderate Republicans have sidestepped questions about potential witnesses, but just a handful peeling away could be the deciding factor. Republicans would need 51 votes to dismiss the case, and Democrats would need 51 votes to call witnesses. Republicans have a 53-47 majority in the Senate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBYPWKg
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm

66% of voters want Bolton to testify, 17% don't. https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=3653

There's also this:
(CNN) An attorney for Lev Parnas, the indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani, has turned over photos, dozens of text messages and thousands of pages of documents to House impeachment investigators in an effort to win his client an audience with lawmakers.

Joseph A. Bondy, Parnas' New York attorney, traveled to Washington, DC, over the weekend to hand-deliver the contents of an iPhone 11 to Democratic staff on the House Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, according to a series of Bondy's tweets.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics ... index.html
If there's anything worthwhile in it I'd guess it would apply to the first Article, so there might be a perfectly good reason for the House to hold onto it. Or, considering the type of business Parnas is in, it might add a third.

Sounds kind of ominous for Rudy, though.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 pm

New evidence from Lev Parnas
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/politics ... index.html

The tranche of documents released Tuesday included the previously undisclosed letter from Giuliani to Zelensky asking for a meeting in mid-May of last year. Parnas included a screenshot of the letter in a text to Serhiy Shefir, an aide to Zelensky. "Along with many others, I am very hopeful that your election is a real turning point and allows the Ukraine to prosper and overcome some of the long-standing problems of the past," Giuliani wrote.

He then made his ask: "In my capacity as personal counsel to President Trump and with his knowledge and consent, I request a meeting with you on this upcoming Monday, May 13th or Tuesday, May 14th. I will need no more than a half-hour of your time and I will be accompanied by my colleague Victoria Toensing, a distinguished American attorney who is very familiar with this matter."

here are also text messages that show Parnas' communications with members of Zelesnky's aides where he pursued a meeting between Zelensky and Giuliani and provided negative information about former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden.

The new documents also provide additional details on Giuliani's efforts to obtain a visa for former Ukrainian prosecutor general Viktor Shokin, which had been denied by the State Department.

broman

Post by broman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm

A new figure emerges

The texts disclosed Tuesday also revealed a previously unknown participant in Parnas' efforts: Republican Connecticut congressional candidate Robert Hyde. In a series of texts, Hyde ranted in crude language about a person identified by the House of Representative committee officials as Yovanovitch.

"F--- that bitch," Hyde wrote to Parnas on March 22, 2019, in response to a series of articles and tweets Parnas sent him. The following day, he continued: "Wow. Can't believe Trump (sic) hasn't fired this bitch. I'll get right in that." Wake up Yankees man. She's talked to three people. Her phone is off. Computer is off. She's next to the embassy. Not in the embassy. Private security. Been there since Thursday."
Hyde told Parnas "that address I sent you checks out" and "they are willing to help if we/you would like a price." He added: "Guess you can do anything in the Ukraine with money ... what I was told."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/politics ... index.html

We got these nutjobs tracking and stalking our ambassador to the Ukraine. What will they not do for Trump?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm

I read some of those as they came out this afternoon and it felt like I was reading and advance copy of the script for Dumb and Dumber 2019.

Wondering if this stuff shouldn't be posted in the News of the Weird forum. :bonk:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Except, I don't know, this new character just sounds too dumb.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Sounds like just the mature, thoughtful individual I'd want representing me in Congress...if I was in middle school
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 pm

But we have to give him credit for getting federal stalking charges added to everyone's indictments. :thumbsup:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:01 am

Mitch and the boys have been straining to spin Pelosi's stalling tactic as a failure, but giving this thing more time to gestate has proved fruitful...the Trump-backed motion to dismiss went nowhere and now it looks like there will be enough Republican votes to allow witnesses as well
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am

Seems our own president was a more "eminent" threat to embassy security than Soleimani was.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm

As the articles are being delivered Trump is desperately trying to distract by holding his trade deal announcement at the exact same time...yeah, that will fool everyone

Going on at length thanking half the people in both countries, bizarre asides about a fireworks display and sneakers on eBay, telling people walking out he didn't want them them anyway...just pitiful
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 am

This is the sad state of our government today. Afraid of the facts and can't get your way? Try extortion...

Sen. Rand Paul is waging a fierce campaign to prevent the Senate from hearing witnesses in Donald Trump’s impeachment trial, vowing to force tough votes on his fellow Republicans if they break with the president or back Democrats' demands for new evidence.

Paul says if four or more of his GOP colleagues join with Democrats to entertain new witness testimony, he will make the Senate vote on subpoenaing the president’s preferred witnesses, including Hunter Biden and the whistleblower behind the Ukraine scandal — polarizing picks who moderate Republicans aren’t eager to debate. So he has a simple message for his party: End the trial before witnesses are called.

“If you vote against Hunter Biden, you’re voting to lose your election, basically. Seriously. That’s what it is,” Paul said during an interview in his office on Wednesday. “If you don’t want to vote and you think you’re going to have to vote against Hunter Biden, you should just vote against witnesses, period.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBYZTW9

So we've sunk to this, here in the country that made fair and open trials the standard for the rest of the world.

What a scumbag. Be proud, Republicans.
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Mitch McConnell last month:

"I'm not an impartial juror...Impeachment is a political decision...I'm not impartial about this at all."

Mitch McConnell today:

"I solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God."

F'n liar

Be proud, Republicans
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Rember nobody knows Lev Parnas

In an Oct. 2 email to Dowd, Trump’s personal attorney Jay Sekulow confirmed the president’s personal approval of the attorney-client relationship.

“I have discussed the issue of representation with the president. The president consents to allowing your representation of Mr. Parnas and Mr. Furman,” Sekulow wrote.
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/tr ... -know-him/

On October 3rd 2019, Dowd tells congress that Parnas is an assisted to Giuliani in his representation of President Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ittees.pdf

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Good news! Moscow Mitch had to back off some of his sham trial rules after he got called out by some of his own caucus:

McConnell Backs Off, Abruptly Eases Impeachment Trial Limits

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell abruptly backed off some of his proposed rules for President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial on Tuesday, easing plans for a tight two-day schedule and agreeing that House evidence will be included. He acted after protests from senators, including fellow Republicans.

Democrats objected loudly to his initial rules, and some Republicans then made their concerns known in private at a GOP lunch...Senators were stunned by McConnell's shift, which came during the private lunch and briefly delayed the start of the historic session.

A spokeswoman for Republican Sen. Susan Collins said that she and others had raised concerns...Collins, Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio and a substantial number of other Republicans from across the party's ideological spectrum wanted to make the changes...

The turnaround was a swift lesson as White House's wishes run into the reality of the Senate. The White House wanted a session crammed into a shorter period to both expedite the trial and shift more of the proceedings into late night, according to a person familiar with the matter but unauthorized to discuss it in public.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBZagMk

Hopefully this sudden semblance of backbone extends to calling witnesses as well...
George Will

Donald Trump