Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

MDDad

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by MDDad » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 am

joefutbol wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:39 pm
Then make the argument.
In the last two seasons, Mater Dei has lost:

Darion Green-Warren - DB, Narbonne
Elias Ricks - DB, IMG
Zion Alefosio - DB, Villa Park
Zeus Alefosio - LB, Villa Park
Syrr Barnes - DL, Mission Viejo
Zamajay Duncan - DB, JSerra
Carter Freedland - QB, Corona Centennial
Jaden Genova - LB, JSerra
Jeff Persi - OL, JSerra
Bradley Schlom - WR, Corona del Mar
Chris Street - RB, JSerra
Bryson Washington - DB, C.E. King, Houston TX

And the season before that we lost:

JoJuan Collins - RB, Narbonne
Isaiah Leuta-Ulu - DL/RB, Servite
Jeminai Leuta-Ulu - OL, Servite
Tanner Nelson - DB, Edison
Titus Toler - DB, Servite/St. John Bosco
Sivea Vito-Logoleo - DL, St. John Bosco

Please post the Servite names so we can compare.

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 am

Football is different from other sports in that to get recruited you need real game film-particularly for Oline, Dline, LB positions-to get recruited. 7x7 helps for QB/WR-but even there you still have to prove that you can deal with a pass rush, take a hit, etc-and the only way you can do that is by being on the field playing games-with the cameras rolling.

In contrast basketball, baseball, etc. have active club circuits in the offseason where much talent evaluation is done. Even there-club ball is not what you will see in college-yes, the talent level for elite players is often higher, but you don't learn to play defense, deal with a shot clock,hostile crowds, get through playoffs in club ball.

Yet dinosaurs like a certain LA Times reporter thinks kids should never leave their host schools-future scholarship prospects be damned.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:42 am

If you expect anyone to feel bad for Trinity schools (or CC/MV) losing players, you are deluded.

It’s like pimps and thieves stealing from each other. There are no good guys or victims.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 pm

MDDad wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 am
In the last two seasons, Mater Dei has lost:
I conceded Mater Dei took the biggest hit last year, and maybe even the year before. I didn't set the arbitrary two-year window. What I said first was -- "they've lost more star players to transfer than anyone." And judging by the names you came up with I'd say we have a little different opinion on what a "star player" is, and that's fine. To be more clear, the talent Servite has lost is significant, and they've lost better players than any other team.

As far as names to compare, off the top of my head they've lost Micah Croom, Tony Brown, Ethan Rae, KJ Trujillo, Terrel Bynum, Trent McDuffie, Titus Toller (he ditched us, too), Spencer Lytle, Osiris St. Brown, and Kyle Ford. And also some guy named Amon-Ra. He was no Bradley Schlom, but he ended up being a pretty decent player.

I'm sure I'm missing names. Also, several of those guys you named were lower-level players who left after their freshman year. I'm sure there are several of those I'm missing, as well.

So, yeah, it's my opinion that Servite has lost far better players than anyone else... and they've lost nearly all of them to other Trinity League teams. But my main point was this --
joefutbol wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:28 pm
I'm talking since the transfer game started seven or eight years ago. Servite has lost far, far more than they've gained in that time period, and no team in the league has benefited less than the Friars have... And there isn't really an argument to be made there either.
There's also a huge difference when you're talking about many of those players you listed. Most importantly, many of those players were replaced with players who were just far more talented. So, sure, losing Chris Street was a big blow... until you hear that he left because Sean Dollars came in. And Carter Freedland was a huge loss, right? Well, he left because you brought in a guy named Bryce Young. Sivea Vito-Logoleo transferred out? Darn, guess you just bring in Keyon Ware-Hudson and Samuela Tuihalamaka. Servite loses Kyle Ford, Ethan Rae, and Spencer Lytle and gets... Blaze McGibben.

So although you may literally have "lost a player to transfer," he was many times just actually replaced, and he was replaced with someone better that transferred in. Also, close to half of those guys never would have sniffed the field if they did stay, so you're not really losing them, either. And 10 of the 16 guys you listed transferred to schools outside the Trinity. Servite not only lost some of the most talented players in the league, they had to play against those guys, too.

No team in the league has had less talent transfer in, and no team in the league has had more talent transfer out. That's why they've benefited far less than any other team in the league from transfers. And one guy who caught 22 passes last year isn't tipping the scale. Actually, Santa Margarita may have an argument... I sometimes forget they're in the league.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:58 pm

"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:36 pm

What I said was:
Omar Bongo wrote:there is certainly an argument to be made about the relative quality/impact of these alleged "star" players
After comparing your list to MDDAD's, I don't know how you or anyone else can still maintain that "Servite has lost far better players than anyone else" and "they've lost better players than any other team".

Let's just take Elias Ricks as an example...which of the players Servite has lost would you consider to be "far better" than him?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm

None of them. Where did I say that? But Kyle Ford and and Amon-Ra were both five-star recruits, so who on his list is better than those two? Or even Osiris?

And Mater Dei didn't have to play against Elias Ricks. Servite had to play against Ford and the St. Browns five or six times.

ProbNotWhoUThink

Post by ProbNotWhoUThink » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:12 pm

2nd time in as many days, I heard NF was leaving servite... would be very surprised, but nothing really surprises me anymore

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm

joefutbol wrote:None of them.
So when you said that "Servite has lost far better players than anyone else" and "they've lost better players than any other team" that was incorrect, yes?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 pm

Indeed, anyone still capable of feeling surprised hasn't been paying attention
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I said that several players that left Servite were far better than the best player who ever left Mater Dei? No, I didn't. I said "they've lost more star players than anyone." MDDad's list includes four players without a single college offer. It also includes a guy who did one spring semester at Mater Dei, never played a down of football there, and was never even enrolled during any football season.

There's one objective measure to compare talent, and that would be recruiting rankings. The top ten players that have left Servite in the last five years have an average composite of .91584. The top ten players on MDDad's list, including the kid who never actually played there, is .90179. Not including that player it drops all the way to .89072.

So, that only leaves one question. Which number is highest, .91584, .90179, or .89072? Or is there some other factual information you want to use as a measuring stick?

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm
So when you said that "Servite has lost far better players than anyone else" and "they've lost better players than any other team" that was incorrect, yes?
No. According to the recruiting agencies, no. According to me? Also no.

Also, if you're going to use quotation marks then use the exact words. I didn't say "Servite has lost far better players than anyone else." Not once, not ever. I said they lost more star players than anyone and they've lost far more than they've gained.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:53 pm

joefutbol wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 pm
Also, if you're going to use quotation marks then use the exact words. I didn't say "Servite has lost far better players than anyone else." Not once, not ever.
I'm confused.

Just a few posts above did you not write
joefutbol wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 pm
So, yeah, it's my opinion that Servite has lost far better players than anyone else... and they've lost nearly all of them to other Trinity League teams. But my main point was this --
George Will

Donald Trump

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm

This is the weirdest pissing contest I've seen in a while. I'm not exactly sure that's a statistic a school would want to be proud of. We do a better job of losing students than you! :eh?:

OC51football

Post by OC51football » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Prob.

You mentioned that you “heard” Servite’s QB will be leaving. If he was leaving, wouldn’t he have transferred out by now? Also, where would he go? MD and Bosco will have the cream of the crop at QB next year and I don’t think MD is going after him when they will most likely get a 5-star recruit transfer. The rest of the Trinity League will be awful next year. Servite and JSerra will fight for third and will lose in the first round of the playoffs again.

What will The Buckeyes, I mean Servite, do without the Buckeye-influence on the coaching staff at Servite if he leaves and the rest of the Buckeyes leave as a result?

No matter who transfers where this year, it will be another Bosco vs MD game to determine League Champ, another MD vs Bosco CIF game, and another MD or Bosco win over DLS for the State Championship. So everyone, please relax and don’t sweat too much on who transfers where.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 am

OC51football wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:58 pm
So everyone, please relax and don’t sweat too much on who transfers where.
unless we start hearing JT Daniels is entering the transfer portal to be reinstated and finish his Senior year at MD.....:lol:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

leftyRosenthal

Post by leftyRosenthal » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:52 am

Looks like the new RB is at MD and the new guy throwing the ball will be starting soon as well.
OutOfState wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:07 pm
MD is stacked at the RB position with this new kid plus Yetts and Craig. I liked near the end of season when they went with Yetts as the primary back and used Craig as a slot back and receiver.
Interesting that they get a transfer at a position not really needed. Big question is who plays on both lines next year. And the penultimate question mark is who will be throwing the ball.

OC51football

Post by OC51football » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Good insight. Where is the new QB coming from?

leftyRosenthal

Post by leftyRosenthal » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm

Apparently a private school from the San Fernando Valley, I’m sure the news will make the rounds soon
leftyRosenthal wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:52 am
Good insight. Where is the new QB coming from?

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:10 pm

leftyRosenthal wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm
Apparently a private school from the San Fernando Valley, I’m sure the news will make the rounds soon
So that would probably mean Miller Moss from Alemany