How do you sell an electric truck to an aggressively "un-woke" market?

Driving, flying, riding and sitting in traffic
John Q. Public
Site Admin

How do you sell an electric truck to an aggressively "un-woke" market?

Post by John Q. Public »

You make the first one a hot rod!

I could be wrong, but I think this is brilliant.
Ford Motor Co. plans to reveal the all-electric F-150 Lightning on May 19 during an evening extravaganza that begins at 9:30 p.m. in a livestream event at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, the company announced at noon Monday.

The global event will be broadcast live with more than 30 ways to watch, including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter as well as sites in Times Square in New York City and Las Vegas Boulevard, Ford said in its English and Spanish news releases.

“America’s favorite vehicle for nearly half a century is going digital and fully electric," he said. "F-150 Lightning can power your home during an outage; it’s even quicker than the original F-150 Lightning performance truck; and it will constantly improve through over-the-air updates.”

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... -autopilot
If it's any clue as to what to expect, the 1999 Lightning did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and had a top speed of 147. Damned fast for any car in 1999 but especially for a pickup truck.

And this little tidbit for the "Today I learned..." thread: "All by itself, the F-Series full-size pickup truck franchise within Ford Motor Co. is so big that it would make the list of Fortune 100 companies."
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: How do you sell an electric truck to an aggressively "un-woke" market?

Post by John Q. Public »

I had a thought while I was out for my walk yesterday: electric cars might bring back the old car market.

Used to be, at least for some of us, that we'd keep our cars until they started nickel-and-diming us to death and then we'd sell them to teenagers or use them for trade-ins. But now cars are only good for scrap after 15 or 20 years because they can't be smogged and they'd cost a fortune to fix. Just about all of the cars built from 1974 (pre-smog) to around 2000 or so have disappeared from the road (2015 for Audi, Fiat and a few others but that's another story). Electric cars won't be subject to that. They will have batteries and probably motors that will need to be replaced at some point but I wouldn't expect the labor charge to be as high as it is to replace a gas engine shoehorned into a tiny space and covered with all the crap they're covered with these days.

No idea how long Teslas or this new F-150 will hold up, or if their software will die, but it sounds possible we might see some 30 year-old beaters on the road again.
Don't look at me, I just work here.