Cal State Humboldt becomes Cal Poly Humboldt

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Cal State Humboldt becomes Cal Poly Humboldt

Post by John Q. Public »

Not sure if it will have to arm wrestle Pomona for the "No, the other one" designation or if it will be satisfied with "No, the one up by Oregon." For some reason SLO gets all the attention. Pomona's always been sort of the Rodney Dangerfield of the two.
The new name is official: Humboldt State University is now California State Polytechnic University Humboldt, the third polytechnic school in the CSU system.

Cal Poly Humboldt is the first polytechnic university in Northern California. The polytechnic designation is part of a strategy by the university to increase the breadth of funding opportunities and to boost enrollment by 50% within three years and 100% within seven years. The school struggled with a lack of enrolled students, and as of November 2021, it was 30% under-enrolled — outperforming expectations by three percent — though application numbers have recently increased for fall 2022.

https://www.times-standard.com/2022/01/ ... in-norcal/
I get the impression the writer didn't quite understand the significance of the "polytechnic" name - a lot of people don't. In addition to being more STEM oriented than most CSU's, their non-technical programs offer more hands-on, real-world experience than a Fullerton or a Long Beach might. So the change will be good for the community as well as for the school. The kids won't just learn about pot farming, they'll actually run a pot farm. Or something like that.
Don't look at me, I just work here.