THE "VALUE" of College

K-12 and beyond
Parrotpaul

Re: THE "VALUE" of College

Post by Parrotpaul »

I understand the problems facing today's high school grads...my point was it is expensive today to get educated just to become educated... the opportunities for liberal arts grads are slim today compared with back then... it wasn't whether or not you would get a job... it was more like... what management training program would you like to become part of... I had my teaching job pretty secure six months before I graduated... learning wasn't so much driven by the need to get a specific education... there was the luxury of enjoying learning cool material.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Parrotpaul wrote:The VN GI Bill paid much of the freight... about $300+a month for about 60 academic months...
I used to pay my fees, buy my books and live on my $300 a month. Been a while, I guess.

Regarding Wabash's post about people working outside of their majors, it isn't uncommon at all. I knew a software engineer with a History degree, a sales manager with a Graphic Arts degree, two sales reps with Chemistry degrees, a video game designer with a Journalism degree, a water filtration engineer with no degree at all and a certain Board Admin who can't remember ever having a job that required his degree. It came in very handy at times but it was never a requirement.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Necro-bumping this thread because it looks like the last time the subject was discussed in any depth.

Very interesting Twitter thread about one of the causes of the student debt crisis and the origin of the right's war on higher education. Having been of age at the time, I can't disagree. It was the backlash to the student protests of the late '60's-early '70's. And one of its first champions was....... Former-Saint Ronnie. He ran for Governor on a platform of defunding the state colleges that were producing all of the commie, anti-war, America-hating hippies. Well, it turned out they were right and we finally got the hell out of Vietnam, but the sentiment and the lack of funding has hung on and even spread.

Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I listened to one of my many podcasts that discussed this topic.

The discussion revolved around how the conservative movement has been attacking the main pillars/institutions of our society since the 60's.

1. Academia
2. Media
3. Government
4. Justice system (until recently)
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.

quando omni flunkus, mortati