Malachi Nelson to Makai Lemon

OutOfState

Re: Malachi Nelson to Makai Lemon

Post by OutOfState »

Perhaps I missed it, but does anybody know the actual reason Nelson sat down? He didn’t appear to be injured because he wasn’t actually hit on his last play. The only thing that was injured was his ego. Quitting certainly wasn’t a good look.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

I was at the game and watched the replay many times. Five guys with red jerseys in your face at high speed would scare the bejesus out of any QB. It appeared that a interesting screen play was set up.
Three lineman headed one direction two going another and a lone running back in the middle. All the lineman were "let" through, the problem was Malachi had zero time to throw, so down he goes, probably the smartest play at the time. However he goes to the sideline and it looks like concussion protocol goes into effect. The score I think was 32-0 at the time and my guess the coach wanted to get experience for the future QB in a big game. So many of their guys were very young so he was looking to the future and did not want to see his guy get hurt. Just interesting choices all the way around.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

Granted MD played great, their best game of the season. But I am disappointed in Los Al. Despite being overmatched, they could have showed some pride and heart and gave a little more effort.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

When you play a lot of freshmen and sophomores exposing the weaknesses can be a problem especially against a very proven team.
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

ya, i really thought Los Al would at least score a few TD's, show a little bit more effort, i see next year being a rebuilding year for Los Al, probably no playoffs next year for them
Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik »

Bama…
Sorry, but I ain’t buying what you’re selling. 18 years old is adulthood. I remember being 18 and 19…. in college. Forced to put on the big boy pants. Honestly though, I think social media is the bane of our society and that’s really what we’re talking about here. Yes, there was no mode for me to read criticisms of myself by strangers. But todays players and parents who choose to engage in such do so at their own peril. No one is twisting their arm. If they need to in order to be an influencer and make $$$… again, at their own peril.
I have no opinion of Nelson except he’s an exceptional athlete with a great future. I do however, have an opinion on the pussification of our youth… especially young adults or, in this case… actual adults.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

The issue is not whether a high school football player is an adult or a child. Neither is the issue whether or not he's being mistreated. I think the real issue is grown ass men badmouthing high school players while hiding behind the curtain of anonymity. Maybe if posters who bash a player were required to add their real name, home address and cell phone number they'd be more circumspect with their opinions.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

OutOfState wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:06 pm When you play a lot of freshmen and sophomores exposing the weaknesses can be a problem especially against a very proven team.
MD had more Sophomores and underclassmen on the field than Los Al did, so that is no excuse. Los Al just gave up.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

“MD had more Sophomores and underclassmen on the field than Los Al did, so that is no excuse. Los Al just gave up”

Yeah, but MD’s Sophomores and underclassmen are a few years older than Los Al’s.

There was zero chance that game was going to be competitive.
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

There were a lot of guys out there battling. 3 and 13 had broken clavicles. 8 played his balls off. 20 was all over the place making tackles. 25 ran hard. From what I hear almost all of their guys missed practice because they had had the flu. Mater Dei is just another animal. They may be rebuilding with their stars gone but they will certainly make the playoffs. They may not be in D1 though.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

MDDad
There are times when people are just going to disagree with you. Hope you can get by with that.
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

hopefully Jayden O'Neal ends up being a decent replacement for Malachi Nelson, but won't surprise me if he ends up transferring out
Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik »

I believe our children/young adults, especially in this day and age, are far better served if we teach them to deal with ALL the adversity they will inevitably face the rest of their lives, than to shelter or protect them from such.
There will always be a-holes and naysayers and those that try to bring them down. Kids and adults alike. Always have been. It now just has an exponent of 10+ with social media.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields
Rod sterling

Post by Rod sterling »

There is indeed a general "pussification" going on, not only with youths but young adults, and even older adults alike. No one likes whiners or people to complain constantly in the workplace or the like. Truth is very few people truly care about you (which is why you should have a pleasant Thanksgiving, they are likely the ones that do) so suck it up and stop being a little b****.

However, once I begin to lose all hope in humanity, there are a few that impress me with their ability to play through physical pain in sports (HUGE mental aspect to that as well) as well as those who are in pain for any reason (in an accident) and you never hear a hint of anything that could be considered complaining. My personal hope is that, due to social media, we just hear the whiners and get the impression everyone is like that.

Now more to the topic, maybe the players in question were truly hurt, or possibly hurt. For the same reason some players dont play in bowl games sometimes now, why risk your future when the game at hand is futile? I have mixed feelings on that, and can see it both ways.... me, Id try to play through it. Then again, its not like USC or a big NIL deal was in my future. A few jersey chasers wouldve been nice.
Last edited by Rod sterling on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeWantBama

Post by WeWantBama »

Al Koholik wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:33 pm I do however, have an opinion on the pussification of our youth… especially young adults or, in this case… actual adults.
Old man yells at cloud.
Rod sterling

Post by Rod sterling »

I’m not an old man, and I sure do see the pussification of our youth. Are you one to blame for this ‘bama?
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

This has been going on forever. Every generation has the same complaints about "today's youth", only the colorful descriptors (e.g. "pussification") change

"Why, in MY day, blah blah blah..." :yawn
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Rod sterling

Post by Rod sterling »

I'm not that far away from this being "not my generation". You are right, every generation has gripes about each succeeding generation. That being said, gen z has set the bar for the "I want things my way and I want them now" mentality and lack the fortitude to TRULY go against the grain for fear of social repercussions as a whole. Let's use a term that's been around a while that is also non-binary. "Whiny little sh*ts".

I had a GREAT Thanksgiving, and perhaps was a tad overserved, but I stand by my post.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Rod sterling wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:08 pm and lack the fortitude to TRULY go against the grain for fear of social repercussions as a whole
Okay, I'll bite. Care to explain or give an example?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Rod sterling

Post by Rod sterling »

Example could be as simple as something as supporting a politician/writer/film maker that a dominant group does not approve of. True story, obviously is more complex. I’ll leave it there, for now, Omar. But feel free to dm me and I’d be happy to respectfully converse