WHO puts processed meat in tobacco list of bad stuff

Parrotpaul

WHO puts processed meat in tobacco list of bad stuff

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:18 am

It is not a great day for processed meats and red meat. The World Health Organization says the stuff is as risky to our health as are cigarettes. Thoughts?

The World Health Organization has deemed that processed meats — such as bacon, sausages and hot dogs — cause cancer.

In addition, the WHO says red meats including beef, pork, veal and lamb are "probably carcinogenic" to people.

A group of 22 scientists reviewed the evidence linking red meat and processed meat consumption to cancer, and concluded that eating processed meats regularly increases the risk of colorectal cancer. Their evidence review is explained in an article published in The Lancet.

The conclusion puts processed meats in the same category of cancer risk as tobacco smoking and asbestos. This does not mean that they are equally dangerous, says the International Agency for Research on Cancer — the agency within the WHO that sets the classifications. And it's important to note that even things such as aloe vera are on the list of possible carcinogens.

<SNIP>

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... r-says-who

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: WHO puts processed meat in tobacco list of bad stuff

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Whatever. Vegetarians die, too. Foreign Babe doesn't especially like beef, so we only eat it every couple weeks, anyway. Just don't take her puerco away.

I wouldn't be too comfortable if I were a chicken, though.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:13 pm

The bride is also a vegetarian, and for a decade and a half I didn't eat much red meat at all... of late I am finding myself buying huge packages of burger at Costco every so often and hitting In and Out a little more... screw it... something's going to get me, and I'm much closer to the end than the beginning... I've even considered smoking again...I loved smoking cigarettes, but I doubt that will happen until I reach 85-90...should I make it that long. :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:35 pm

I had a Double Double a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple years and I didn't much like it. It was very salty, but that could have just been the one i got. I don't remember them being that bad.

The FB detests burgers so I don't get them that often. Give her a burger and she'll disassemble it and eat the "salad," the meat and the bun separately. And then she'll invariably complain about the "bread" and I'll try to explain that it isn't exactly supposed to be, like, "bread" really.... Oh never mind. Next time we get pizza. :-"

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Pizza always works...Costco take home cheese pizza. Also the place out by you in Upland...San Biagio's is excellent. Map....https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... =1&tbm=lcl

I hear ya on In and Out...I find myself going into Players on Moulton for a fine burger every so often.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:11 am

Interesting discussion on KPCC Just now. Should processed meats have warning labels? Will you have to be 18 to buy a hot dog? Will your burger habit make your insurance rates go up? Will you have to go outside to eat salami?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:18 am

John Q. Public wrote:I had a Double Double a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple years and I didn't much like it. It was very salty, but that could have just been the one i got. I don't remember them being that bad.

Totally agree on that one. I have found they were heavily salted the last two times I went. So I have stopped for awhile. If I'm going to a chain restaurant of that type I prefer the burgers at Five Guys or The Habit.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 am

Parrotpaul wrote:... screw it... something's going to get me....

I gave up cigars about a decade ago. Don't miss them. But I still enjoy single malt. Right now my favorite is made right here in the U.S. of A.

Stranahans Nice flavor. 94 proof, so be careful.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Water, air, and sex is "probably carcinogenic". I'll wait until they make sure.... :lol:
I've seen these idiots go through this crap since I was a kid... Remember chlorophyll?? Gonna cure you and make you smell great until it was bad.. The Thanksgiving without cranberries?? Ooops. Eggs, which now are good for you... You probably get the drift...
Anything in moderation... My grandfather had a pipe in his mouth most of his life, died from falling off the roof at 94 trying to patch a leak... My Aunt never smoked in her life, but died of lung cancer at 40.. Never was exposed to second hand smoke...
Bring on the steaks, ham, bacon, sausage, etc. I quit eating that over processed gristle they call hamburger years ago.. Figured McD's and the rest processed any food value and taste right out of it.. Probably why they had to add salt or MSG to make you think you ate something. John's FB has the right idea, eat the "salad" throw the rest way... :wink:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Return to “Food and Beverages”