Air scrubbing plant to capture CO2 and then sell it as plant food & soda fiz

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

Air scrubbing plant to capture CO2 and then sell it as plant food & soda fiz

Post by kramer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

From Digitaltrends

Switzerland’s new ‘air-scrubbing’ plant sucks CO2 out of the atmosphere

The first of its kind direct air capture (DAC) unit utilizes 18 Climeworks CO2 collectors on top of a waste utilization plant, KEZO, to filter CO2 from the atmosphere. This concentrated CO2 is then supplied to a greenhouse located just a 1/4 mile down the road where it is used [Fordama, pay attention here: -->] as fertilizer to grow tomatoes and cucumbers. The DAC itself is powered by low-grade waste heat generated by the KEZO complex.

Read the full story here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech ... perations/
The company wants to filter 1% of [dangerous and evil dirty pollution CO2] out of the air by 2025 with [just only] 250,000 of these plants.

They want to sell it "to customers in key markets, including: commercial agriculture, food and beverage industries, the energy sector and the automotive industry."

source:
http://www.climeworks.com/wp-content/up ... pening.pdf

The half-life of CO2 is something like 5 to 15 years. This seems like an idea that isn't going to work because it's pointless and to many plants are needed to make just a 1% difference.

What is the carbon footprint of mining and processing of the materials used to build these plants and then to construct them? Will they be using wind and solar powered cranes and bulldozers to build the plants?

And apparently, it looks like CO2 is a valuable commodity. Who knew?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Air scrubbing plant to capture CO2 and then sell it as plant food & soda fiz

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Quote box removed from the above because it isn't what the press release said.

Fake quote.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Air scrubbing plant to capture CO2 and then sell it as plant food & soda fiz

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Question for Kramer: There are three main elements in plant food - Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash. Which one are they magically transforming this carbon dioxide into?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 pm

If CO2 is plant food why do they need soil?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 am

John Q. Public wrote:Question for Kramer: There are three main elements in plant food - Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash. Which one are they magically transforming this carbon dioxide into?
Plants use the energy from the sun to convert CO2 (and water) into oxygen and sugar (this is referred to as "photosynthesis"). This sugar is food for the plants and the oxygen is released into the air when the plants break wind.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am

Water is food for plants, so I'm going to plant corn at the bottom of Lake Tahoe because there is enough water there.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:59 am

Omar Bongo wrote:If CO2 is plant food why do they need soil?
They need soil, water, sunlight, and CO2, along with naturally occurring elements such as nitrogen, phosphate and potash to grow. I'm not a plant expert by any means. But I do know that plants and trees grow better with more CO2.

Here's some excerpts from a 2013 article that I just found a few minutes ago that may be informative:
LONDON – Australian scientists have solved one piece of the climate puzzle. They have confirmed the long-debated fertilization effect.

Plants build their tissues by using photosynthesis to take carbon from the air around them. So more carbon dioxide should mean more vigorous plant growth – though until now this has been very difficult to prove.

. . .

The team averaged the greenness of each location over three year periods, and then grouped the greenness data from different locations according to known records of rainfall. They also looked at variations in foliage over a 20 year period. In the end, they teased out the carbon dioxide fertilization effect from all other influences and calculated that this could account for an 11 percent increase in global foliage since 1982.
This is what’s called negative feedback with at least some of the increasing levels of carbon dioxide being absorbed by extra plant growth. It could also be good news for biodiversity, and good news for food security: plants are the primary producers that feed all animals.

Read the entire story here:
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/stud ... rise-16094
Ha, just learned from this article that because of Exxon, BP, Shell, et al, ALL of the world's wild creatures are eating better which is better for biodiversity! This in addition just learning that CO2 is GOOD for the climate!

Thanks Exxon, BP, and Shell... :D
Think I'm going to do my part to make the climate better and feed wild animals by turning on more lights, driving more, and eating more beans...

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

Fordama wrote:Water is food for plants, so I'm going to plant corn at the bottom of Lake Tahoe because there is enough water there.
You sound like a frustrated liberal who keeps on losing... :D

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:23 am

Still no word on how they get N, P and/or K from a substance that doesn't contain any of them.

Let me know when they develop a process to convert CO2 to Au.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

The naturally occurring elements, N, P, and K, are added to the soil (fertilizer) if the soil doesn't have any of them.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 am

kramer wrote:You sound like a frustrated liberal who keeps on losing... :D
Is that supposed to be irony?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am

Very good, Kramer. Tomorrow's lesson - Respiration (and why it doesn't do you any good to try and eat Oxygen).

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:16 am

Fordama wrote:Is that supposed to be irony?
Not to me but probably could be construed that way if you're one of the millions of people who Jonathan Gruber referred to a few years ago...

Bakker

Post by Bakker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:08 am

If CO2 is plant food why do they need soil?