Your Daily WTF

Omar Bongo

Re: Your Daily WTF

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:06 am

That would presuppose that one existed...

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Didn't want to go the WW I ceremony because of rain.

What an embarrassment.

#snowflake
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I don't know who's madder at him, Europe or the fire victims.

And I don't remember any thoughts or prayers for the shooting victims.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:36 pm

OMG! Then he blamed Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania for the war in Yugoslavia. SMFFFH

God, I miss Bush.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Wabash wrote:Didn't want to go the WW I ceremony because of rain.

What an embarrassment.

#snowflake

Water shall not land upon his golden locks.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:04 pm

California Professional Firefighters President Brian K. Rice issued the following response to the president's threat.

"The president’s message attacking California and threatening to withhold aid to the victims of the cataclysmic fires is Ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to those who are suffering as well as the men and women on the front lines.

"At a time when our every effort should be focused on vanquishing the destructive fires and helping the victims, the president has chosen instead to issue an uninformed political threat aimed squarely at the innocent victims of these cataclysmic fires.

"At this moment, thousands of our brother and sister firefighters are putting their lives on the line to protect the lives and property of thousands. Some of them are doing so even as their own homes lay in ruins. In my view, this shameful attack on California is an attack on all our courageous men and women on the front lines.

"The president’s assertion that California’s forest management policies are to blame for catastrophic wildfire is dangerously wrong. Wildfires are sparked and spread not only in forested areas but in populated areas and open fields fueled by parched vegetation, high winds, low humidity and geography. Moreover, nearly 60 percent of California forests are under federal management, and another two-thirds under private control. It is the federal government that has chosen to divert resources away from forest management, not California.

"Natural disasters are not “red” or “blue” – they destroy regardless of party. Right now, families are in mourning, thousands have lost homes, and a quarter-million Americans have been forced to flee. At this desperate time, we would encourage the president to offer support in word and deed, instead of recrimination and blame."

http://www.cpf.org/go/cpf/news-and-even ... -response/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

And on the Marine Corps' 243rd birthday he tweeted... a picture of himself.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Priorities. :thumbsup:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:03 pm

'66 Shelby OC/GT350? That deserves a helicopter lift out of there :D

Looks like they're just moving it out of the way so they can get a firetruck over to the fire...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Mansions can be replaced.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:17 pm

I didn't know where else to put this post, so I put it here.

I make it a point every day to read the Letters section of the L.A. Times. Every month or two a letter will strike me as being particularly insightful and articulate. One of those appeared yesterday.

We've been trying for three years and tens of thousands of words to explain Trumpism and his appeal to his followers. I think one letter writer nailed it in just a few paragraphs when he wrote:

In American politics we think we have a Trump problem, but President Trump is a mere blemish on the face of the real monster.

The cancer that is destroying us from within is a rural America that is being left behind. The economies, education systems and overall health of those outside the cities and suburbs are on the decline, and their best and brightest are fleeing in droves.

Republicans propose no real solutions for these people, but they are able to identify with them and convince them that they feel their pain. The fact that these voters support Trump is just a symptom of their desperation. They prefer to be led by a charismatic con artist on the right rather than by those on the left who sneer at them.

If progressive Democrats cannot figure out how to speak to these voters and create a compelling, hopeful narrative, we will only be empowering the next authoritarians who follow in the current president's footsteps.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post The cancer that is destroying us from within is a rural America that is being left behind. The economies, education systems and overall health of those outside the cities and suburbs are on the decline, and their best and brightest are fleeing in droves.

So what does the author suggest? I call this the phony crisis of white people. Some time ago I read about what I call the crisis among under educated white men and their lowering life expectancy and increasing drug addiction and how this is a serious problem that must be addressed. The author summed it up that they needed to be given back their dignity. That was the problem. Their forced indolence led them to despair and then to depression and drug addiction and then to an early death. These men (and women) were victims of globalization and automation and society needs to act.

Society has already provided a remedy for this reality. I recommend the advice that generations of black and brown people have been given – Lift yourself up by your own bootstraps. Black and brown people, robbed of their dignity, denied opportunity and condemned by systemic racism to lives of poverty and despair have been lectured by generations of smug white people that they just needed to work harder and stop wasting their money on frivolous purchases (like expensive guns and over equipped pickup trucks) and instead model behaviors of middle class thrift and rectitude.

Life expectancy statistics have always been asterisked with the disclosure that longevity among blacks and Hispanics is lower than whites. This difference has never provoked any handwringing. Never elicited a call to action that this was a crisis to be addressed immediately. It was simply reality, the way of the world.

If there was ever a poster child for white privilege, this phony crisis about the need to restore the dignity of white people is it.

#goodforthegoose…
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Was the letter signed John Q. Public? I've been saying that since Hillary made her "deplorable" comment.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Wabash, you seem to have stopped reading before the letter writer referred to the people as "voters". Indolent minorities don't vote; indolent white people do.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I think that is changing. BTW, indolent white people are outnumbered.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 pm

This is truly unbelievable. I post a letter from the L.A Times in which a reader says, "They prefer to be led by a charismatic con artist on the right rather than by those on the left who sneer at them." And about an hour later, along comes the most unthinking leftwing nutjob on this forum to sneer at them. Has there ever been another poster who so often proves a point he doesn't want to prove? Unfreakingbelievable.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:16 pm

You're welcome.

Like I said. The author never suggests a solution.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I'd like to add that

1) Trump is a lifelong Democrat who decided to run as a Republican because the path to the nomination was easier. I'm not sure you can assign sneering or empathy wholesale to either party

2) The deplorable remark was actually an ill-advised jab at xenophobic and outright racist Trump supporters, not rural voters. But cigar store-Indian Hillary was unable to counter the spin pushed by the right wing media echo chamber and the perception became "fact".

3) Progressive Democrats are and have been speaking to those voters, did you miss the entire 2016 Democratic nomination battle? The real question is if the Democrats can find a way to incorporate them more fully into the party before 2020. That's a huge if...
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Wabash wrote:Source of the post Like I said. The author never suggests a solution.

Sure he did. You just didn't read that far.

"...speak to these voters and create a compelling, hopeful narrative...."

Return to “National”