What is it about Mater Dei?

OutOfState

Re: What is it about Mater Dei?

Postby OutOfState » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 am

NotDonaldBren wrote:IMG at Mater Dei was immediately locked in by Fox Sports West when the K was signed.

JJ is gonna be smilin' ear to ear. CIF-SS's Big Game Brent/Keith Jackson.

Thank God its not being televised by Spectrum. They do the state championship games and I believe many people were unable to see the game on TV.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 pm

OutOfState wrote:Source of the post Thank God its not being televised by Spectrum. They do the state championship games and I believe many people were unable to see the game on TV.

Yeah I think the only major HS football events in California that Spectrum gets are the state title games, which makes no sense. I'd rather early/week 0 games (or something along those lines) are on Spectrum, not the most important, and final, games of the year. Hopefully there will be a different arrangement this December with the state bowl games returning to SoCal.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Rollo sure must have done something very impressive when he blew up the program after the 2011 season, bringing in Scott Prohaska was one of them, what else did he do that really made MD become a force to be reckoned with, start to dominate like they never have before during Rollo's previous past 20-plus seasons as HC?

Eddyr2

Postby Eddyr2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:36 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Source of the post what else did he do that really made MD become a force to be reckoned with, start to dominate like they never have before during Rollo's previous past 20-plus seasons as HC?

Must be the new dark gray uniforms...yep that’s it...

BBB

Postby BBB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Rollo sure must have done something very impressive when he blew up the program after the 2011 season, bringing in Scott Prohaska was one of them, what else did he do that really made MD become a force to be reckoned with, start to dominate like they never have before during Rollo's previous past 20-plus seasons as HC?

Brought in guys who recruited elite eight grade players from all over, and they did it like no one had done it before (doing a better job of it than the previous best in Bosco).

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:17 pm

possibility, I also heard that they started to do much more severe conditioning, as in, check about the players diet, which wasn't really checked on about before.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 pm

if I recall correctly, St. John the Baptist in Costa Mesa, has a long tradition of being one of the primary feeder schools to MD right? I think that's where Matt Leinart attended for elementary and middle school. Another I believe is St. Bonaventure of Huntington Beach.

TheFan

My non Football Observations of MD

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

1) Time to give up the Huddle Drill. I always thought it was a source of pride for MD. Now it is downright embarrassing to watch. Many of the D1 kids clearly did not care. A few in particular were out of step the entire time, a few were even mocking the process. Clearly the prep kids lack any 3 stipe pride. What was ironic? FV out of respect after shaking hands, took a knee to watch. I bet ex MD player and current FV coach Nolan was saying "What the Heck"...I have seen mighty mite teams do better huddle drills. Have Mercy and stop pretending rip those three stripes off your helmet Rollo.

2) I never heard more parents concerned about their kids stats, not how the team is going to be

3) Rollo and Ernie are getting up there...me too, but I am not a coach

4) Why does MD have a real nice digital score board, nice turf but crappy at grade bleachers, that only the back row can see over. I have been told several hundreds attend the lower division games. At least buy some elevated stands.
I guess the scoreboard is good for recruits, put their name up on it when touring campus.

5) Campus looked real nice, updating everything...parking structure is going to be great. I cant believe the residence next to it did not put up a fit.

6) When MD decided to become a prep school, everyone thought it would take a while before kids quit, well it did not take long to impact the program. I counted 65 kids dressed out for the scrimmage, Varsity and JV. FV had about 85+. Why program not winning? One parent admitted to me, long time MD families are not all on board with the Prep program.

2002tony

Re: My non Football Observations of MD

Postby 2002tony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Need to change the name on this thread. The only agenda point you brought up that was not football related was the campus and parking structure. I guess the bleacher and scoreboard part is not football related right up until you said it was for bringing in new recruits. So your NON Football Observations for the most part are still ALL football related.

"When MD decided to become a prep school, everyone thought it would take a while before kids quit", just who is EVERYONE? I didnt see any polls taken or petitions taken, certainly all the people who are involved with the program are part of the EVERYONE, and the school is growing, so the implication the "kids" will quit, is just taking a small sampling of something that might be a fact and twisting it to your own agenda - not EVERYONE's opinion or feelings.

Do you have the amount of kids who were out for football last year that chose not to play this year BECAUSE of the "Prep " perception that you have an agenda for?

"One parent" admitted to you - what? did you walk around asking EVERYONE and finally found one person that would remotely say something like that.

I am not a MD parent but I am just tired of this constant barrage of MD hatred in what seems to be spewed by you and a few others in every thread. Even if you are totally 100% correct, ok you said it at least 10 times already, get over it and move on because it is not going to change anything here. The constant negativity about one subject is starting to lose your point if not starting to cause others not to listen to you at all.

You have made some good football points and have had some good reflections on football topics, just this one topic is getting old. IMO

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 pm

LOL...Tony, you're sounding like a non-liberal who's tired of Trump bashing at every turn.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 pm

2002tony wrote:Need to change the name on this thread. The only agenda point you brought up that was not football related was the campus and parking structure. I guess the bleacher and scoreboard part is not football related right up until you said it was for bringing in new recruits. So your NON Football Observations for the most part are still ALL football related.

"When MD decided to become a prep school, everyone thought it would take a while before kids quit", just who is EVERYONE? I didnt see any polls taken or petitions taken, certainly all the people who are involved with the program are part of the EVERYONE, and the school is growing, so the implication the "kids" will quit, is just taking a small sampling of something that might be a fact and twisting it to your own agenda - not EVERYONE's opinion or feelings.

Do you have the amount of kids who were out for football last year that chose not to play this year BECAUSE of the "Prep " perception that you have an agenda for?

"One parent" admitted to you - what? did you walk around asking EVERYONE and finally found one person that would remotely say something like that.

I am not a MD parent but I am just tired of this constant barrage of MD hatred in what seems to be spewed by you and a few others in every thread. Even if you are totally 100% correct, ok you said it at least 10 times already, get over it and move on because it is not going to change anything here. The constant negativity about one subject is starting to lose your point if not starting to cause others not to listen to you at all.

You have made some good football points and have had some good reflections on football topics, just this one topic is getting old. IMO

Thanks 2002Tony.. you saved me time from making the same response. I don't need repeat it..

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Mr. Annoying, aka Tony...for a guy that is tired of a topic, you decided to say it in 100 words. LOL...just skip it over the post...notice I never respond to what you say because I don't give sh....
Sweetness, next to CTE and school districts not funding HS sports, I think MD and SJB have done great damage to the game I love, ..the MD lawsuit was a game changer, so deal with it.

So instead of responding just skip the topic, that is what I do.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:30 pm

So, TheFan, this is a message board,don't you want posters responding to your posts?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:31 pm

The Fan, thanks for the above post. I agree.

2002 Tony, You don't HAVE to read our posts.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Cruiser, correct.... except Bingo Bongo...his are funny sometimes

thefrog

Postby thefrog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Not sure why that Trinity League hate thread never took off

Red

Postby Red » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Non fan is Troy!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Domingo

Postby Domingo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I would give the kids a break on not having the Pride Drill down in the first week of August and not being crazy about doing it perfectly during a scrimmage. That said, of course it's not going to look the same as it did 10 years ago or when Nolan was doing it himself. Back then you had kids learning the drill since they stepped on campus as 9th graders. Seniors from Rancho Cucamonga could give a rat's azz about getting it right. They probably think it's stupid and silly. Same would go for the senior transfers at Servite and their Pride Drill. You think the senior transfer QB at Servite is excited about doing the Friar Pride routine??

I do agree that the culture has changed at Mater Dei and Bosco as it relates to the people (kids and parents) in the program and where their priorities are. Anytime you bring 20+ D1 kids into your program and 95% of those families have never attended a private school in their lives, your culture is drastically different and the end game for those families is different. Parents in these football programs used to come to MD and SJB to continue the investment they were making in the private and mostly Catholic education their children had received their entire lives. Now it's life long public school families that could never afford private schools and never even considered them, getting to go to MD and SJB for little to no cost for the SOLE purpose of playing football. These "I.E." families don't care about Mater Dei or St. John Bosco the school or anything they've ever stood for. They're there to play football and get noticed by as many colleges as possible. That's it! It is what it is. You may support it, you may not but it is what it is.

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm

The number of students attending MD in the future from Catholic Parish Elementary Schools
is diminishing. There are only four large parish schools left in the area in which most of the
students would attend---St. John the Baptist Costa Mesa, St. Bonaventure and St. Simon and Jude
both in Huntington Beach --Holy Family Cathedral, Orange---the rest of the parish schools
are single class classes. In fact St. Anthony Claret in Anaheim closed because of low enrollment.
Any new parishes established do not have a school. The only new Catholic Elementary school
that I recall is St. Francis---which does not belong to a single parish in Yorba Linda. Parents have'
the choice of sending their children to Servite, Rosary, Cornelia Connelly and in South OC to
Santa Margarita and J Serra. Of course students attending any of the Catholic Elementary schools
have the choice of attending any of the high schools no matter where located and of course
with many going on to the public schools. Tuition costs at the high schools have risen to now
they are more than the State Colleges. In fact students going to the local State Colleges--Long Beach
and Fullerton pay less than what their high school education cost.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Domingo wrote:Seniors from Rancho Cucamonga could give a rat's azz about getting it right. They probably think it's stupid and silly. Same would go for the senior transfers at Servite and their Pride Drill. You think the senior transfer QB at Servite is excited about doing the Friar Pride routine??

It's called the Hut Drill and, excited or not, I can guarantee that every Servite player--D1 or benchwarmer-- will give 100% effort or they will absolutely hear it from their coaches, teammates, and their teachers as well.

See you September 28.

Return to “High School”