MaxPreps Rankings

not4u13

MaxPreps Rankings

Postby not4u13 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 am

I was taking a look at the MaxPreps rankings out pure curiosity. I mean, I don't think there is much meaning behind ranking school teams nationally since there are so many variables state-to-state and these are, after all, high school kids.

But something really struck me as odd.

http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/football/xcellent25.htm

MaxPreps has two different ranking systems. Both have Mater Dei at the top, but the second has St. John Bosco as number 3, while the first has them at number 10. I also noticed the first table has Allen Eagles (TX) as ranked number 4 while the second has them at 24.

Why such a wide disparity? I mean, it's odd that there is both some consistency at one and two and such wide disparity after that.

Both rankings were last update more than a week ago so there would likely be some shuffling after the games this past few days.

What does the wisdom of this crowd think?

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SK80

Re: MaxPreps Rankings

Postby SK80 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 am

Good question, simple answer. At the bottom of the rankings you will see a link.... http://www.maxpreps.com/news/X4MCEfnBEe ... s-work.htm
One of the ranking uses only computer stats, the other is "human" or sports writers and analysis is added.

For what it is I like Maxpreps... there is so much to analyze being there are so many schools playing out there.... a good source of information, schedules, rosters, box scores etc...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 am

Computer Rankings

We do not poll coaches, sportswriters, or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size, and comments on message boards are not considered in the MaxPreps Computer Rankings.

The system utilizes the huge number of game results stored in the MaxPreps database. Generally, the more a team wins the higher the ranking, but the system takes into account quality wins (against other highly ranked opponents) and strength of schedule.

MaxPreps Xcellent 25

This is our human poll. Our writers' determine who will be in this poll. They use many factors to determine the Top 25. Some examples include, strength of schedule, talent, quality wins, returning starters, and connecting with local media from around the country.

I wonder which is more accurate. And, if they don't consider prior season history, school size, comments on message boards or humans, what would they have to go on until most of the season has been played?

And how could they hope to be at all accurate without the valuable information people like Cockroach and Burrito Supreme provide? :mrgreen:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 am

We all can agree not all in polling/ranking systems do we find perfection. We have all just seen this yet again in the NCAA final 4 selection. Let's do it by computers and then throw in the human element at the last minute and become more subjective.

You see the same thing here at Maxpreps. The computer or stat leaning poll has 6 top 25 CA. teams. The human/subjective obviously takes a broader national view. The depth and super leagues in California create a SOS advantage even in a loss. The MP Xcllnt 25 sees past that and has some schools from states whom have lesser depth or SOS possibilities. Could those schools be as good as some in the other top 25? Possibly. Seems some writers, voters think so.

Good discussion not4u13 :thumbsup: Unfortunately we won't see an intrastate game to prove anything otherwise. We do know that a MD win at state makes them and will have them remain #1 in the land.

Greenwave

Postby Greenwave » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

This is a funny thing where by when Bosco won its national championship in 2013, it won the Computer poll but Booker t Washington won the Human Poll Xcellent25 so Maxpreps shows up to both schools giving out 2 National Championship throphys. Same thing with the USAtoday poll, I believe that was split as well

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post I wonder which is more accurate. And, if they don't consider prior season history, school size, comments on message boards or humans, what would they have to go on until most of the season has been played?

This is why there are two polls. Early in the season there are few numbers to crunch, so from the human poll you can get an idea about the relative strength of teams through word of mouth and chatter regarding transfers, injuries etc. As the season progresses and stats pour in, the computer poll compares actual results and becomes more valuable.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 am

Human poll. Football is a pretty complex game. Ultimate team sport. Many variables. How can a purely subjective human pool be accurate when there are 14,000 plus high school football teams across the US? The "top" teams have no common opponent to judge by. Some teams travel across state lines for early season play, but that's pretty rare and it's so early in the season it really doesn't mean much.

I'm intrigued by this process. Mater Dei is now ranked number one. (12/12 rankings) No question in my mind. The very dominating Allen Eagles is 20, below Mission Viejo at 19. Katy TX is ranked number 4 but just got beat by Lake Travis (92 in National Rank, 23 in Xcellent rank) this past weekend. Lake Travis will now play Allen for 6A state championship.

I don't know why I just noticed that USA Today has it's own HS football rankings too. They also list Mater Dei as number 1. Seems to be a national consensus on number 1 and number 2, but below that, it gets really squirrely.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

The Old Gym

Postby The Old Gym » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:17 am

I will ride with this Mater Dei team against anyone, any place, any time.

You can have your pills and argue the pros and cons. You can bitch and whine for competitive equity and for Servite and for Mission Viejo and blah blah blah blah.

I’m sure no matter what your kids compete in you’ll find excuses.

This team was one poorly prepared for game away from being 29-0 and back to back national champions.

Bang on them no matter what they do how they do it when they do it or where they do it. These young men where excellent from day one.

Return to “High School”