2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

SK80

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Postby SK80 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 pm

And where are these parents and boosters spouting they are rolling Sunset? Would like to hear their take as I can not think of a one that feels we are moving to another PCL. PCL aside, I do not base my opines previously ever on beating any one of those schools but the pre-league and playoff teams faced each year. I know many will continue the lack of respect because of the PCL in which CDM was stuck but that is being short sighted and dismissive.

I'll state it again, as I have more times than need be, but here it is again..., In no way have I stated CDM is rolling anybody in Sunset. I have made my point extremely clear that it is CDM stepping up in "league class". And I continue to put in my comments CDM is now in a league in which they belong and on a much more even keel in talent. I have also stated that outside the South Coast League the Sunset may be the best public in OC.

And FAN, Is this exactly a buttercup schedule for a small public school...?

Open Scrimmage against TESORO,
@ JSERRA
PALOS VERDES
EL TORO
@ LAKEWOOD
@ SAN CLEMENTE
@ EDISON
FOUNTAIN VALLEY
@ LOS ALAMITOS
NEWPORT HARBOR
HUNTINGTON BEACH

Mind you, the 4 toughest games are also all on the road.....

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

TheFan wrote:Source of the post it is not the ole' Sunset but might be the best public football league in OC this year.

Great to see but The members of the South Coast League may beg to differ...

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon May 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Pretty sure Fan forgot to exclude the SCL. the top 2 teams in that league actually WOULD moonwalk thru the sunset, and the 3rd place team would be competitive.

Haven't found any CDM guy saying they'd waltz thru the league either. I doubt anyone over there is silly enough to confuse any of the D9-11 teams in the pcl with the lower half sunset teams.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 am

I'd say 1 team would "moonwalk". The other would play 3 tough games that could go either way.
Last edited by TomDrake on Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 am

Last Year I think the SCL was better than the Sunset due to MV, with CDM now in the league and Marina out..it is closer.
Lets see how it goes, if MV is up (semi's), SCL is better, but the gap has tighten. Yes CDM folks are pretty confident, it will be fun to see it plays out. I spent most of my life on the CDM side of the bay...

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:09 am

BTW SK, your schedule is a tough one, no one below your division would schedule CDM, but not always the best given today's play off formula. One must be 5-5 for a WC berth, plus getting beat up before league is always a concern.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am

CDM could very well get beat up before league! CDM played JSerra tough last season. However this season looks like it will be even tougher as JSerra has just loaded up with outside talent. When O' Shea signed this deal he was looking at a CDM team on the rise, needing tougher competition and picked on a weaker Trinity school to challenge. However with the light speed evolution that has taken place in transfers, recruits and the entire dynamics of HS Football one could say it blew up in his face. Surely there was no way to see how fast a team like JSerra could stack the deck in such a short period.

That said, Palos Verdes is always a tough out. They play physical.

I think CDM rebounds against ET and Lakewood then faces a very stiff test against a bigger public with an outstanding program. Ortiz and his San Clemente squad. On the road. #-o

Then we have league with a huge game after the SC road game against Edison. On the road! Welcome party to Sunset! This will be a hostile environment and a statement game for Edison. You gotta believe that program will want to put a stop to any notion there is another title contender outside Ed and Los Al. Los Al will have a say as well as they host CDM and get a home game to boot. So looking at this schedule about every card is stacked against CDM. Their 4 toughest games are all on the road.

CDM's league home games are left against the lower tier of the Sunset League. FV, NH, HB. I do not see any of these teams having much of a chance unless the Sea Kings are depleted or incur major injuries to key players. I will say however the Battle of the Bay is like USC-UCLA. No matter the records it always ends up closer than you expect. Its an emotional game and stranger things have happened. I will also add that CDM in the past had some scrappy games against the Oilers back some years ago.

CDM's best players are all coming in as underclassmen, presently sophomores. This Jr. season could be a learning curve to set up what looks to be a stellar Sr. class in 2020. I have no doubt that you will see one of the top passing teams in the OC, how the Sea Kings round out the offense with a running game is yet to be seen. Still too early for me to say or report what I see on the "D" side of the ball. Well coached and tenacious is a given, size usually an issue.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 am

Real football talk...THANK GOD!

Tom - you're probably right. Was still thinking about the Sears led Tritons.

Fan - you might be on to something. With CDM now in the mix, that gap should be a lot closer, but the nod would still go to the SCL even if you put up top 5 in the Sunset v. SCL teams calpreps ratings.

I would bet your left arm that Ed, LA, CDM will be auto-qualifiers come playoff time, so the real purpose of pre-league becomes being healthy, and making your team more competitive in that order. The most physical of CDM pre-season is JSerra. They flipped that switch last year w/ their new HC. Beyond that, PV wasn't all that physical in '16, and Lakewood rolled over and played dead midway thru the 2nd Qtr last year in our game w/ them. They were a little chippy in the prior year though.

SK - Edison, Los Al, CDM will have to play their best to beat each other, and at least at this juncture, those games will come down to a handful of plays either way for the win. That's exciting stuff from this seat.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 am

Looks like Newport still looking for DL,LB and DB coaches. Spring ball is well underway.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 am

agree Bick, you may see some W's on a better day and some L's on a lesser day... or should we say "night" as in Friday Night!

As for the SCL vs Sunset I think the benefit always will go to the SCL as long as MV stays at where they had been for the foreseeable future. We will see ho SC fairs post Darnold/Sears years. If you were to look at more as a combined idea how about an All Star squad made from each league? Could a ED, LA, CDM squad challenge a MV, SC squad? (No offense to the others in each respected league surely there are some players that could make a league All First Team.)

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 am

The difference between MV and CDM, Los Al, San Clemente, Edison, & Tesoro (they are right there with the other four - they beat Los Al last year) is that MV tends to get an overall different group of linemen. The other 4 schools don't get those guys on a regular basis. They are all right there at the skill positions, but not in the trenches. The years that CDM, Los Al, San Clemente, Edison, & Tesoro have a really good year are when they have the big guys up front who can play. Mission Viejo seems to always have them.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 am

Drake, good post I agree up front has been the delta for MV. Edison and Los Al seem to be getting smaller. Edison has lost some of its Poly connection. Los Al always in the past had two or three 6'3 , 280 to 300 pounders. It does not matter as much as it used to since O line is allowed to hold if they keep their hands inside and or the white hat is just flat lazy and wants to go home and lets everything go. The later just drives me crazy when linemen are allowed to grab the back of a d linemen jersey and it is considered good blocking, different topic but a bad change in the game in my opinion, makes football too one dimensional, just like NBA basketball which is pick and roll and pop to a three...some call it progress...

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am

On the OL stuff, the new read option offenses seem to favor the faster guys more so than the road graders of years gone by. Now if you can be big AND fast...you're a D1 guy.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Agreed... MV never really had to fully adopt the read option because they've had the talent up front. They've been able to go under center and hand the the ball off to a downhill runner. That's a big advantage in today's game.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Bick, any coach in OC would take those past big guys Los Al had......really. Fenton probably walking around campus saying where in the heck are they...calling Barnes asking what's up ....It is shocking how much smaller Los Al has become.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 pm

There were big guys on the team last year, but some of the smaller guys just beat them out. Put up 38 pts / game and won league. Went back to 2001 and couldn't find a Los Al team that put up more points per game.

Seemed to work out OK.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am

I would take Sale, Redmond,Wysocki, Zottneck to name a few over stats and in street fight all day long...when has Los Al had that kind of size and D! talent upfront ? I saw an undersize HB team whip up on Los Al a few years ago, I understand football..
It does not change the fact that the last couple Los Al teams for some reason is smaller in stature, don't mistake that for not being a good offense. Edison is not as big as they used to be too.
Last edited by TheFan on Mon May 21, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm

anything to do with if you are great, fast, big you end up at a private and good, fast, not as big you stay at a public? :eh?:

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm

SK, interesting thing is based on what I saw at the Linemen Comp in CM, not too many Sunset linemen are finding there way to the Trinity League, as in the past. JSerra, MD, and OL were very multi cultural.... MD did have one HB kid (smallest linemen) that started up front last year, and another the year before, plus part time guy. In short I think line play is not what it used to be in the Sunset and the biggest difference over the 8 years, hence no team is D1. Edison is not getting the Poly kids like in the past, Los Al is smaller than in the past. HB, NP and FV all are smaller upfront than they used to be. Teams lift now more than ever, just a numbers deal I guess. In the past couple years I can think of some 1AA linemen, but no three or four star players. Los Al and Newport always had a big guy or two getting recruited hard.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

This year's Los Al team is smaller up front than the past 2 years.

Return to “High School”