2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Bick

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Postby Bick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:48 pm

SJ Hills came in 4th in their league, got bounced in the D4 playoffs in the 2nd round, and got moved up to D2 this year. It's mainly a league thing.

There's a pretty big gap between the Sunset and the PCL strength wise. You'll likely do well in D4 playoffs this year -semis at the low end. Pretty sure you'll at least be D3 if not D2.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:37 pm

obviously depends how well they do do in pre league games, league as well as playoffs...., looks like Grace Betheran has some real legit kids and a private program climbing the ranks... CDM got stopped by one go those two seasons ago in Sierra Canyon.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Your league plays a critical role in the equation for divisions. That weak Pacific League helped keep CdM in D4. The Sunset will help push CdM up. It is a two year lookback, so next year might only be D3. But by the end of the second year, between the strength of the Sunset League, the CdM coach’s willingness to schedule strong teams outside of league, and the continued success many of us are confident you will have, you guys will be a D2 team by then if not sooner. I’m sure you’d agree it’s where you really belong.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Adjusted D2 Synopsis

Division 2
7 league champs; 5 - 2nd place teams; 2 - 3rd; 2 - 4th; 1 5th; 1 6th
In the 2017 playoffs - 1 CIF champs, 1 runner up, 2 semis, 6 qtrs.

Rank/School / League / Place / Playoffs
1 Upland D2 Baseline LC Semi
2 Calabasas D2 Marmonte LC Qtr
3 Norco D2 Big VIII 2nd Qtr
4 Rancho Verde (+D3) Ivy LC Champ
5 Heritage D2 Ivy LC Semi
6 Alemany (-D1) Mission 6th DNQ
7 Cathedral D2 Angelus LC Qtr
8 St. Francis (+D3)Angelus 2nd Finals
9 La Habra D2 Freeway LC 1st
10 Westlake (+D3)Marmonte 2nd Qtr
11 Loyola (-D1) Mission 5th DNQ
12 Notre Dame D2 Mission 4th 1st
13 Los Al D2 Sunset LC 1st
14 Tesoro D2 South Coast 3rd 1st
15 Edison D2 Sunset 2nd Qtr
16 Redlands EV D2 Citrus Belt 3rd 1st
17 SJ Hills (++D4)Sea View 4th Qtr
18 Great Oak D2 Southwestern 2nd 1st

Alemany and Loyola drop from D1
Rancho Verde, St Francis and Westlake up from D3
SJ Hills up from D4

With the Mission League dropping to 6 teams, only 3 auto qualifiers this year. Likely the three D2 teams in the Mission finishing 4-6 and AL. I'm guessing 12 AQ teams in bold with the other 6 vying for 4 AL spots.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't think we need more divisions but when I look at most of them the to 2 or 3 always seem WAY above the rest. Upland, Calabasas and Norco seem like D1 teams IMHO.

Hey shouldn't this banter be in the new divisions thread....? :eh?:

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Sunset league / D2 /D3 is the title. I think this qualifies.

By including D2, it's a spot for the LH folks to chime in also. Plus, it's fun to see who we're looking at come playoff time.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:36 pm

SK80 wrote:2 or 3 always seem WAY above the rest. Upland, Calabasas and Norco seem like D1 teams IMHO.

The nice thing about this new divisional alignment system is that if teams like those three continue their current success, they will be in Division 1.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Ya you can see how if winning CIF is the goal some luck comes into play where and how you are placed.... if you have much success in your division yet keep coming up a game or two short you get bumped up into a higher division with less likelihood of getting the trophy.

So you better win it when the opportunity is there cuz your success as runner-up is going to hurt you.

Newps

Postby Newps » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 am

After the Tesoro scrimmage, the below is a take from a coach. I’m a huge Cdm supporter, but it sounds like the same issues will be the downfall of this years squad, lack of lineman and so so defense. This team will score points but will struggle with the big boys. I see a 6-4 season with wins against PV, ET, Lakewood, NH, FV and HB. FV/HB could play spoiler if the boys don’t show up on that given night. JSerra is going to steam roll us this week. The line play will be the difference. It appears Cdm is over-ranked because of the “big 3”. The problem is none of the big 3 are lineman.

Freshman scrimmage
offense ran ball well, moved at will.. qb missed 3 balls that would have been big gains... defense struggled, not a lot of kickass guys, sloppy tackling, seemed little scared

varsity scrimmage
is what we figured... garbers had pressure and sacked or made him throw off balance.. couldn’t run the ball...defense so so.. I sat with a parent who knows a lot about football and he said to me this could-be a long year...we just don’t have the guys up front to protect and create holes...

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am

Newps wrote:Source of the post After the Tesoro scrimmage, the below is a take from a coach. I’m a huge Cdm supporter, but it sounds like the same issues will be the downfall of this years squad, lack of lineman and so so defense. This team will score points but will struggle with the big boys. I see a 6-4 season with wins against PV, ET, Lakewood, NH, FV and HB. FV/HB could play spoiler if the boys don’t show up on that given night. JSerra is going to steam roll us this week. The line play will be the difference.

I'm thinking the main objective is to get out of the JSerra game injury free. Los Al lost 2 starting lineman for the season the first 2 plays of the game last year.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 am

MDDad wrote:Source of the post The nice thing about this new divisional alignment system is that if teams like those three continue their current success, they will be in Division 1.

It's got its flaws, but I think the divisional movement up and down is the best aspect of the new system. Teams in weak leagues no longer get to rack up CIF titles because of their league placement in lower divisions, and weaker teams in strong leagues now get a puncher's chance at making some noise in the playoffs.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am

Fox Sports schedule the first 3 weeks includes some D2 teams (Bold). La Habra on twice v. Upland (8/17) & Mission Viejo (8/31). Los Al v LB Poly (8/31)

Week 0 (Aug. 17)

Timpview (Utah) at St. John Bosco, 7p, Prep Zone
Westlake at Sierra Canyon, 7p, Prep Zone
Antelope Valley at Grace Brethren, 7p, Prep Zone
Upland at La Habra, 7p, Prep Zone
Chandler (AZ) at Centennial (Corona), 7:30p, Prime Ticket

Week 1 (Aug. 24)

JSerra at Calabasas, 7p, Prep Zone
Narbonne at Long Beach Poly, 7p, Prep Zone
Santa Margarita at Mission Viejo, 7p, Prep Zone
Chaminade at Paraclete, 7p, Prep Zone
Centennial (Corona) at Orange Lutheran, 7:30p, Prime Ticket

Week 2 (Aug. 31)

Vista Murrieta at Orange, 7p, Prep Zone
Mililani (HI) at St. John Bosco, 7p, Prep Zone
La Habra at Mission Viejo, 7p, Prep Zone
Long Beach Poly at Los Alamitos, 7p, Prep Zone
Cajon at Murrieta Valley, 7:30p, Prime Ticket

https://www.foxsports.com/west/story/ci ... ule-080818

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am

Newps wrote:After the Tesoro scrimmage, the below is a take from a coach. I’m a huge Cdm supporter, but it sounds like the same issues will be the downfall of this years squad, lack of lineman and so so defense. This team will score points but will struggle with the big boys. It appears Cdm is over-ranked because of the “big 3”. The problem is none of the big 3 are lineman.

I would also add the 7v7 performances, a lot of spotlight, deserved but this is now an entire team game. Sometimes scrimmages at the beginning of the season can expose a lot of weaknesses and the ones you state Newps are valid, remember in D4 and say the PCL not such a concern as the skill players can shine.

I'll also agree that the #6 rank is generous as I would have La Habra, San Clemente and Servite ahead of them. I just do not think a team with so many Sophomores now Juniors has enough going for it. I have stated many a time it's 2019 where they will really shine.

@Bick also agree with your take on the JSerra game, last season CDM really played as well as anyone could have predicted. But we had a Senior line in their and a mobile QB, now we have a QB whom has never started and is a Pro-Style pocket passer. JSerra's size and speed with be tough for the Sea Kings to handle. And you are exactly on point about keeping away from injuries.

@Newps again.., I thought with this schedule, all big games on road, young team, stepping up in league, a 7-3 season would have been an accomplishment. I know some here have clamored CDM should be in D2...., heck they are only ranked #3 in D4 as it stands now!

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

SK80 wrote:I don't think we need more divisions but when I look at most of them the to 2 or 3 always seem WAY above the rest. Upland, Calabasas and Norco seem like D1 teams IMHO.

Calabasas doesn’t have the offensive line or the defense. They’re very similar to CdM with a really good QB and some elite WRs.

Don’t we say this about Norco every year and they go out and underachieve each time? I would have thought last year’s team would be better than this year’s team. They were not a D1 team.

Upland was a 4th quarter injury to their QB away from beating OC in the semis. Upland was the best team in D2 last year up until that moment and looked like a D1 team. However, they lost a significant number of starters on both sides of the ball this year. They’re a program that can reload, and have a couple of really talented kids to build around, but until we see them play, there is no way of knowing for sure.

There are a lot of questions surrounding most of these D2 programs if you go down the list. OC last year is a great example of the kind of surprise that will likely happen again this year; they were not considered a preseason favorite and won the D2 title (with a LB playing QB).

This parity is the benefit of the divisional lineup we now have (sans D1). Should be a fun year to watch how it all unfolds.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:00 pm

SK80 wrote:I would also add the 7v7 performances, a lot of spotlight, deserved but this is now an entire team game. Sometimes scrimmages at the beginning of the season can expose a lot of weaknesses and the ones you state Newps are valid, remember in D4 and say the PCL not such a concern as the skill players can shine.

I'll also agree that the #6 rank is generous as I would have La Habra, San Clemente and Servite ahead of them. I just do not think a team with so many Sophomores now Juniors has enough going for it. I have stated many a time it's 2019 where they will really shine.

@Bick also agree with your take on the JSerra game, last season CDM really played as well as anyone could have predicted. But we had a Senior line in their and a mobile QB, now we have a QB whom has never started and is a Pro-Style pocket passer. JSerra's size and speed with be tough for the Sea Kings to handle. And you are exactly on point about keeping away from injuries.

@Newps again.., I thought with this schedule, all big games on road, young team, stepping up in league, a 7-3 season would have been an accomplishment. I know some here have clamored CDM should be in D2...., heck they are only ranked #3 in D4 as it stands now!

SK80 you confuse me. You come on here all year long and tout the awesomeness of the CdM program, the coaches, the players, how they’ve had successive elite frosh teams, favorites to win the Sunset, etc. You argued how unstoppable the passing game will be, even against teams with better fronts because of the quick passing game and your dominant size at TE and WR.

Now all of a sudden as the season approaches, you sound rather weak-kneed, insecure and lack any confidence. Kind of a reverse rope-a-dope. Calling you out in case you didn’t see it, but I’d expect you to show a little more faith in the Sea Kings!

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:24 pm

@BBB don't put words in mouth please, I have stated from the get go it is CDM stepping up, as they should, earned, proven against many a pre league and playoff teams in their respected division. NEVER have I said they WILL win Sunset. I have stated before I see it at as a 3 horse race. Where you are failing to read is what you want to inject..., because CDM has some really exceptional players I have brought that to this forum, I have heatedly brought the ideas of why the CAN win Sunset not WILL win Sunset. I have called it a 3 horse race from day one.

My faith or fandom never clouds reality and it is why we play these games. I think every school in the Sunset will learn a lot about where the programs are as WILL we.

Also note BBB my questioning what can happen against a Trinity school is not necessarily what will happen against the other privates.

By the way, CDM's program is awesome win or lose is where I stand, not because they are awesome they win everything...

@BBB, who is your team.. and what have you brought to the board supporting them or not..? Fair question?

For the record again,

Here is my OC TOP 10

1) MD
2) JSerra
3) OLU (2&3 coin flip)
4) MV
5) SM
6) SC
7) LH
8) Servite
9) CDM
10) LA (You can coin flip here as well with CDM, Edison, LA)

Considered VP and Capo close, either can crack 9 or 10.

I also posted in here I have picked Los Al as the Sunset favorite...

Insert here cheering for my team =D> mistaken as calling them favorites... :wink:

By the way, my reserved support of my team is joined by those at OCVarsity and the LA Times touting them more so than I. :thumbsup:

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:54 pm

For what it's worth SK80, you come off as a guy excited about his team. Never read you putting down another guy or another team. Always positive stuff. You've got a lot to be excited about, and I'm glad you're sharing some inside scoop. Like any fan, your takes are expected to be colored through the lens of bias toward your school. For those of us who take a stand with the team we support, we're exposed to criticism. But, it's better to stand for something and be wrong v. stand for nothing and be right...right?

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:58 pm

BBB wrote:Source of the post Calabasas doesn’t have the offensive line or the defense. They’re very similar to CdM with a really good QB and some elite WRs.

Going to be interesting to see if Coach Claiborne adds a measure of physicality to Calabasas given he was a former NFL LBer. I believe Coach Harlow did that at JSerra when he took over last year. Happens real quick.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Thnx Bick, I am..., is it that obvious? ROFL

I try and bring takes that represent my excitement, enthusiasm and any aspect that is positive whether for the team or a player. The sports program is without a doubt one of the best in state, as is our academics. So what is there not to like! I understand with enthusiasm and being outwardly forward with whom I support there comes a bunch of criticism buts thats all good. It is funny you mentioned that as I think some time back last year to get to know where many of the regulars stand I started a thread asking who supports whom? Whom played where? Whats your Alma Mater. If I remember correctly nobody came forth with an answer. --:--

Thanks for pointing out what I pride myself as a poster and a fan most, never disrespect your opponent, never put down a player or coach. And here as a guest on this board I adhere to the same. (Unless it's BBB :-P )

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Chill out SK80. I was simply pointing out that your very pro CdM attitude and positive CdM posts the rest of the time has recently sounded different. Maybe that is you being “realistic,” but you didn’t talk about the downside before and, therefore, it sounds like you’re less confident all of a sudden. No one questions your loyalty. You read way more into my post than what is really there.

Return to “High School”