End of an Era

Newps

End of an Era

Postby Newps » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Newport’s Jeff Brinkley resigns. Look for Scott Meyer to show lots of interest. Tenured guy in the school district and out at Servite. Newport needs new blood lines. Lots of his “guys” on staff. All former players. Time to clean house. Meyer would not be a bad option but Cdm is rolling.

Cdm96

Re: End of an Era

Postby Cdm96 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Rumors are that both Scott Meyer from Servite and Jason Negro from Bosco will go after the Newport Harbor job, especially with Chad Johnson going to Mission. Should be interesting to see how that plays out. Either one would be a great hire.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 pm

If Negro bounces from SJB that would be bad news for the Braves...I'm thinking Meyer has the inside track...NHHS Football HC is a great position & program.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Why would boscos coach leave for Newport harbor. He has one of the best teams in the nationa...

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Why would Negra leave Bosco? He would take a huge pay cut. If he was leaving wouldn't he have just went to MV. He has sometime in the Saddleback Valley Unified at least. Even MV would be a bitgood pay cut I assume

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Does Negro have a family? How old is he? CalSTRS is connected to any public school system in the state
for pension benefits. The elite private school head coaches get paid very well but a lot of the
income they get,they have to put into a 401K for their golden years and it can go broke eventually,
while public school employees get a set pension for LIFE with automatic increases every year and
it will NEVER go broke as the taxpayer is on the hook if it ever does.

Did Brinkley have to teach any classes other then a PE classes here and there? Plus, the Newport
Harbor boosters have the bucks if they like what the HC is doing for the team!

And - on a side note,I'm thinking maybe that is why the Bosco OC went back to a public
school team and school, the retirement benefits from the state teachers pension system
is hard to beat. It's a sweet deal. and- besides the money, you get other benefits also, fyi

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

This was inevitable.... watching NH getting shellacked was way too much for that school and those parents to watch. Would be a pisser for an ex-cdm coach to go to NH! Can't imagine a SJB coach going however. If so would he take all the Sunset kids and have them at NH... --:--

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Good points, SK80, I tend to agree it would take a lot ( I won't go into it) for the Bosco HC
to take the Harbor job and I really don't see it happening but stranger things have happen
and yes if he did,I could see sunset league kids somehow ending up at Harbor but Meyer
seems to be in the perfect position to take the spot.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 pm

If he needs a job but I will now have to call him Newport Harbor Tar Traitor!

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 pm

None of us know the motivations of Jason Negro. From a football perspective it may not make sense to go from one of the best programs in the country to an average local high school. But who knows what he wants personally? I believe he has a daughter at Edison so maybe he lives closer to Newport. There could be a lot of other personal things at play here too. I like Negro and think he is a great coach. He will no doubt do well wherever he coaches.

Newps

Postby Newps » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Brinkley only taught PE, which Meyer would do as well. Boosters do have $ and Meyer is in the public school pension system. He taught history while coaching at Cdm so he has teaching tenure in the district. I have some good info and don’t be shocked if this happens. My buddy who is well connected told me last Friday that Brinkley would be stepping down and Meyer would get hired. I thought no way but one has already happened and the same day Meyer “resigned” or forcibly left Servite. No way Negro leaves SJB, Meyer is the clear cut front runner.
Last edited by Newps on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 pm

May Negro no longer wants the pressure of recruit football and wants to go back to an easier family life. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Coach Brinkley has been an institution at Harbor for over 3 decades. His teams have always been tough, disciplined, and well-coached. We are losing another local legend to retirement. I will guarantee that many of his former players have looked up to Coach Brinkley as much more than a football coach.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 pm

As far as the vacancy goes, I highly doubt Negro is too interested. I’m sure if he wanted to make a change to a public school he would’ve taken a shot at Edison last year, or even MV this year since he’s already taught and coached in that district.

BoscoBandWagon

Postby BoscoBandWagon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 pm

cdm96 negro thanks you for the raise you just got him. =D>

But in all seriousness, they idea of him leaving now is silly.
New stadium (that he personally fundraised the money) is in the process of being built.
He has a national recognized program, elite level talent (with more coming in), top QB in the 2020 class, full-time football only secretary, tons of support from the school and only job on campus is head football coach.

You think he is ready to leave that to be back in the classroom to coach a below average team :bonk:

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:58 am

Another sad day in orange county high school football. Coach Brinkley was one of the last standing pillars that was winning , doing things the right way era. His comment, "times have changed". I'm sure we all know what that means, TRANSFERS, RECRUITING, NO LOYALTY OR RESPECT. Coach and his long time assistants brought a winning enviornment, without recruiting. When you know how to coach and coach up your local kids, you play good consistant football.
He was also most proud of the fact that alot of his student athletes became doctors and lawyers. Call it old school, but
once again, a guy who could probably forget more than some will ever know. It would make good sense that Meyer heads to Newport, and coach against his ol buddy and team, turning the Sunset upside down. New era?
I cannot see Negro leaving the Bosco gig, unless things get so bad over there that he leaves like RE-AL mitchell did?
They return alot, but you never know these days. once again probably another reason coaches are retiring.
Is Bruce next?? He is the last man standing in a group of coaches that have weathered many storms.
time will tell.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:09 am

Our beloved Coach Rollinson will probably only leave on a gurney...If you have ever known or played for him you would know how much he loves coaching at his alma mater...We are truly blessed...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 am

If meyers goes to Newport, look for either Garbers or Booty at CDM, to head the Newport way, bringing some other kids with them. The rivalry will get real good!

Newps

Postby Newps » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:56 am

HTL,

I could see Garbers going to Newport. He was a ball boy for Meyer when he was younger and his parents know him from Chase’s days. As for many others leaving, highly unlikely. Booty will keep Humphry’s among others close to him. Newport does have a stud QB in Sam Berela who will be a SR in the fall. If he had any pieces around him they could do great things with him.

Also, from what I’ve heard the breakup between Meyer/O’Shea/Hettig didn’t go so well when Meyer left for Servite. This could make the rivalry even better. I just don’t see kids leaving to play for Meyer. Hettig and O’Shea we’re both his coordinators at Cdm and there’s a reason they stayed at Cdm.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:35 am

The "REASON" Newps is that CDM Football cared to be great. I credit Meyer with being part of that but it comes from the community. Newport gave up, Newport is not the school it once was.... it seems fractured and no longer focused. Maybe it goes up to the AD. I'm not knocking or picking on my rival school it's just that I have watched them for decades. The energy, mojo, vision, programs and community are now at CDM.

Return to “High School”