2018 NFHS Football Rule Changes

Zebra

2018 NFHS Football Rule Changes

Postby Zebra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 am

The 2018 HS Football Rule changes and POA's

http://nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/football-rules-changes-2018/

1-5-4, 1-5-5, 3-5-10e (NEW) 3-6-2, 9-9: Improperly equipped player shall be replaced for at least one down.

Rationale: Prior to the game, the head coach is responsible for verifying that the players are legally equipped and will not use illegal equipment. The penalty for a player who is not properly equipped has changed from a distance penalty against the team to removal of that player for at least one down. The penalty provisions for any use of illegal equipment remain unchanged and result in an unsportsmanlike conduct foul charged to the head coach.

2-32-16a: Defenseless player provisions for passer clarified.

Rationale: The committee clarified that defenseless player provisions do not apply to a passer until a legal forward pass is thrown. The passer continues to be a defenseless player until the pass ends or the passer moves to participate in the play.

6-1-3b PENALTY, 6-1-4 PENALTY: Signal change for free kick infractions.

Rationale: The signal for free kick infractions, other than encroachment of the neutral zone, has been changed from signal 18 to signal 19.

6-1-9b (NEW), 6-1-9b PENALTY (NEW), 10-4-2 NOTE (NEW), 10-5-1j (NEW): New penalty option adopted for fouls by kicking team.

Rationale: In an effort to reduce re-kicks, further minimize risk and ensure that appropriate penalties are in place for all fouls, the committee has added an option for fouls committed by the kicking team during free and scrimmage kicks. The change would allow the receiving team all of the previous options as well as accepting the distance penalty at the end of the down.

SIX-PLAYER FOOTBALL (RULE 3): Length of time between periods revised.

Rationale: The timing rule between periods and intermission for six player football has been standardized to match the current NFHS 8-, 9- and 11-player football rules.

2018 EDITORIAL CHANGES

1-3-7; 3-4-2c; 7-2-5b(1) EXCEPTION; 9-5-1h; 10-4-7; PENALTY SUMMARY; NFHS OFFICIAL FOOTBALL SIGNALS; INDEX.

2018 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1.Proper Wearing and Use of Required Equipment
2.Blindside Blocks and Defenseless Player
3.Application of Personal Fouls and Unsportsmanlike Conduct
4.Time Management

Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Bick

Re: 2018 NFHS Football Rule Changes

Postby Bick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 am

Hey Zebra - haven't seen your takes in a while.

Here's one you need to make happen...end the mercy rule running clock. Equip each team with a white flag and let THEM decide when they've had enough, and don't want to get their kids some time under the lights.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:57 am

I don't know...getting your ass kicked is part of life, coping skills are valuable and good plays are good plays! Regular play, 48 minutes...but get rid of running clock rule...it is demoralizing.

Might be a call ahead of time... OK Bruce/Jason yoR gunna smoke us, how bout you go 2's after you run some plays... :mrgreen:

Zebra

Postby Zebra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I go dark during the season due to Association by-laws since I am not an official spokesperson for them. I do and can give insight on questions in IM's and they are just my opinions. I'll never question a call but I could possibly explain what's going on as far as a ruling. Just don't like to answer in the clear 'cause there's always that Yahoo dude that knows a referee and "he says" or thinks he knows the rules better or wants to whine about a play that happened last week, last year or his Junior year in 1973. ](*,)

As far as the rules, I just enforce em .. don't like some of them but that's above my pay grade. :2cents:

If ANYONE is so inclined to get into the officiating business, feel free to contact me and I'll put you in touch with our assignor. We are desperately in need of officials and the number goes down ever year. :cheers:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Playthegame wrote:Source of the post I don't know...getting your ass kicked is part of life, coping skills are valuable and good plays are good plays! Regular play, 48 minutes...but get rid of running clock rule...it is demoralizing.

Not much worse than a "mercy" rule in competitive sports. In football, it robs 2nd & 3rd string kids who worked their tails off from getting the opportunity to play much as the clock just races on.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Agree 100%

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 pm

PTG, agreed!

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Zebs- say hi to Frank and Forest for me...just tell Forest I was one of his room mates...

Return to “High School”