"Youth Basketball", NBA ready to step in....

SK80

"Youth Basketball", NBA ready to step in....

Postby SK80 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am

"Youth Basketball" or more directly HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL is the new target or power grab for the NBA. I am not a fan of the "One and Done" rule that has taken over the NCAA. I understand its idea to help young people make a transition they may not be ready for but it has obviously been more of a band-aid that isn't really helping as we see of the scandals that have recently hit the NCAA.

These are just interesting times. Things are changing rapidly and I just have to say as always money will dictate yet again. Holding high school athletes away from the professional ranks simply opens up other professional operations that will allow them. Australia, Europe and China all get this and are creating landing places for some of the best talent the USA has... and the NBA DON'T LIKE THAT!

There are plenty of PROS, CONS, pluses and minuses in this debate so don't attack each other :slapfight: all over the damn thread please!

Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in

i.jpeg

NBA commissioner Adam Silver is re-evaluating the way the league looks at elite high school talent, multiple sources told ESPN. Michael Conroy/AP

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2261 ... again-espn

Read on and have a take... I can surely see the NBA and it''s G-League prospering here...... I like the farm systems in baseball and always thought there is so much talent that the small sized roster of an NBA team leaves so many players little chance to develop here in the USA. The LA Clippers this season are a great example of what a G-League could mean to a franchise. Obviously the NCAA is somewhat a loser here but do they want to continue with the underground back door shenanigans that goes along with professionalism and money. Seems like the head of the NCAA is ready to walk away from that fire and let college be college again.

frankieboy12

Re: "Youth Basketball", NBA ready to step in....

Postby frankieboy12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 am

The MLS Soccer Academy route would make sense for the NBA...Teams run academy practices starting at age 10, kids don't get to sign pro contracts until they are 16/17 and have option not to do so to protect college eligibility, if they do sign pro they get a certain amount of $$$ put in a bank account solely for college expenses. Each team is required to run a youth academy (the kids do not play HSBB but could play other NBA teams youth teams). European soccer/basketball runs on a similar system.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Academies are great if you only want your kid to have a jr. high school education. Unless, of course, they come with fully accredited educational programs. My godson was recruited by the MLS Academy and his parents, who are both professional type people, said "Not a chance."
Don't look at me, I just work here.

frankieboy12

Postby frankieboy12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm

LA Galaxy actually run a fully accredited HS for it's academy players on the campus of Cal State Dominguez Hills. A number of their players have gone from there to D-1 scholarship rather than turn pro.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08 am

It will become somewhat of the European model where sports academies or schools will actually be "trade schools".

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 am

Which is fine, as long as the academies (or the states they're in) recognize their responsibility to give the kids a decent education while they're there. If they don't, they have the potential to turn out some really rich, really dumb professional athletes. Europeans love their futbol stars but they don't see them as especially great thinkers. There is something to be said about the current model of at least exposing them to higher education.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

The real difference in that "Trade Schools" which is something students are guided to so they can learn a real life long trade where as football for example just is not that. Football skills will not carry on throughout your working life.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am

I guess as long as the leagues are behind the academies they might even do a better job of preparing them for their "retirement" or for life if they don't make the bigs. I have my doubts about any more IMG's, though. There's potential there to be turning out professional athletes whose highest level of education is damn near 8th grade.

Return to “High School”