2018 H.S. Football "Strength of Schedule" <SOS>

SK80

2018 H.S. Football "Strength of Schedule" <SOS>

Postby SK80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:29 am

With some of the OC's high school football programs releasing their upcoming 2018 schedules I thought a good off season discussion thread would be whom is stepping up, what games look to be much or most anticipated and what leagues look to be the toughest.

We are all aware the Trinity is possibly the best in the country. The concentration of talent there is discussion around the nation. There are also a couple outstanding public school leagues in the South Coast and Sunset. Looking ahead I see matchups are being penciled in against each other. The leagues look even stronger this year with Capistrano Valley joining the South Coast and Corona del Mar the Sunset.

Getting my eyes and hands on the 2018 Sea King schedule I had to initially think the "strength of schedule" really meant "SOS"! If this isn't an aggressive move by Coach O'Shea I do not know what is. The thinking here has to be if you do not play a schedule and the teams that are tops in this county you will not only not keep your best players but not get any coming in. No question Coach O'Shea is not running away from the new reality that is open border athletics and to compete or beat them..., join them.

This could be one of the toughest public schedule in the OC.... @JSerra, @San Clemente @Edison @LosAlamitos #-o Having your 4 toughest fights on the road does not usually bode well. Kudos to the program, coaches and staff for rising to the occasion.

Can Capo or SC close the gap with MV? Is the Sunset a real toss-up with Edison, Los Al. and CDM? Wildcards? Spoilers? in either league?

2018CDMSchedule.png

ocfootball

Re: 2018 H.S. Football "Strength of Schedule" <SOS>

Postby ocfootball » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Edison schedule with 2017 final Cal-preps rating with added notes

edisonchargerfootball.com/varsity-schedule/

Aug 17 Tesoro (34.3) Will be well coached as usual
Aug 24 @Oaks Christian (62) Scary!
Aug 30 Canyon (@HB) (11.4) Ogas building it, needs to have the horses
Sept 7 @San Juan Hills (33.5) Return some talent but with new HC
BYE
Sept 20 San Clemente(@HB) (49.2) Reloading
Sept 27 CDM (@HB) (37) Talented but lost OL coach to Evil Empire
Oct 5 @Huntington Bch (10) Young team got a lot of experience last year
Oct 11 Newport Harbor (@HB) (4.5) Who knows
Oct 19 @Fountain Valley (@OCC) (10.5) Improving
Oct 26 @Los Alamitos(Vets) (34.5) Steady, with question marks,,,,Burpee League Champs!

Sunset League will be a toss-up for sure SK80,,,,,based on reading tea leaves of returning senior talent, I'd give CDM the crown on paper....but there is well stocked and well coached Edison and Los Al to get by, and not to mention much improved HB and FV teams that can trip up the big 3 on some random cold, windy Thursday night at Cap Shue.....
Attachments
RUNNINGOUT.jpg

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

LOL @ "scary"..... :shock: @OaksChristian kinda like @JSerra. Lets call that a draw!

Like I stated both Edison and CDM have stepped up to test themselves and respective teams against the South Coast's Ortiz and the Tritons. Over the last few years I have wanted CDM to take this step and the two teams I had picked to best test themselves by were two established storied programs in EDISON and SAN CLEMENTE. I didn't think they would schedule them both in the same year! :eh?: Throw yourself into the Sunset as well and add a Trinity..... LET's DO THIS!

I still believe there will be a big separation in the Sunset between the Big 3 mentioned and the rest. Like Ed. and Los Al, CDM has beaten these lower division teams in the neighborhood of 40-something to nothing by the half. Strange how CDM got the 3 weaker teams at home and the three best away. --:--

Thanx 4 the take and encouragement... I'll for now wear that paper crown :lol:

papercrown.png
papercrown.png (235.84 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm

That's a good test. Should have put La Habra on there too. Played Edison to a 1 point double OT Game, and beat SC in CIF finals. Los Al will continue to be good as Poly players will probably head that way?

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm

No disrespect to La Habra in the least as they are as good as any of those discussed and possibly even better. I suppose my commentary was league driven to some extent. Too bad the freeway has a log jam of weak teams now. Can BP ever make it back or was that an aberration that came and went!
Last edited by SK80 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Kind of a shame that Edison doesn't play MD anymore

Rollo and Dave White are great friends and Dave was one of the few publics that played MD every year

I realize he has retired, and the last couple of games between the 2 were blood baths, so maybe it died a natural death.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm

"Kind of a shame that Edison doesn't play MD anymore"

Very few OC publics will ever contest what private football has become in the OC. It is simply two different sports, league, dynamics, circumstance.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Daforno, both programs and schools wanted to continue the series. However, the final decision was left up to the new Edison head coach and he declined.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Very few OC publics will ever contest what private football has become in the OC.

If by "private football" you mean the Trinity League, then very few is enough. The OC Trinity schools like to schedule tougher competition :rockon:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Trenchdad

Postby Trenchdad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I think the Sunset League will be an interesting watch over the next couple years. CDM certainly adds strength in the immediate. We could see a balance of power begin to change as the luster of Barnes and White continues to fade, almost all the coaches 5/6 are “newer” to their programs and it adds an interesting dynamic as they all try to establish their own programs. Sunset boundary students has/have historically been a significant draw for the Trinity League Schools, gotta think some of these kids are finding themselves in 2/3 depth spots and could in the soon future be lured to their home public school by being a “1”. Hard to play at the next level with no film.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 am

Sk80
Wasn't referring to you , but CDM schedule. La Habra obviously had open spots, since they now will play calabasas and Diamond Ranch.
CDM had 90 kids on their frosh roster this past season, its un heard of for publics these days. I think the General Booty
Has sparked some interest.
Maybe in the future, we will get a CDM vs La Habra match up.
Edison loses a lot this year as does SC , so , perfect timing for CDM.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:52 am

Trench dad,
I totally agree, maybe kids will
Venture back home soon?
If you can get some tape out and get recruited..
But if you look at some of the top tier public,
MV
Los Al
Edison
La Habra
San Clemente being the exception
#onetownoneteam
These schools have kids from all over and are putting out private school vibes
At public school costs .
If you want to start, go to the 3rd tier schools,
Fullerton, Newport Harbor, Huntington Beach, Villa Park, Yorba Linda.
Etc... no disrespect, but those guys are usually doing it with local kids.

Trenchdad

Postby Trenchdad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 am

HTL,

No doubt some of these have undoubtedly been successful dispite the TL power surge over the years. Those first 3 you name in particular are all programs that were attained/sustained/maintained by legends.Johnson, White, Barnes. It will be interesting to see how these “new” coaches do over a few years, first couple years are freebies in my opinion. The real test is can they keep the momentum as they make it “their own program”, I am not doubting their credibility, I am just saying success isn’t going to be automatic. In some degree you can lump Tustin into the mix as they eventually went back to Miller (I don’t know whole back story there). X factor is Its tough to follow a legend. My overall point was it will be interesting to watch as power will shift to some degree

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 am

heard a rumor Servite will be getting 5-7 LA transfers...
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:41 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Very few OC publics will ever contest what private football has become in the OC.

If by "private football" you mean the Trinity League, then very few is enough. The OC Trinity schools like to schedule tougher competition :rockon:

Thanks yet again for basically rewording and confirming what I stated..... =D> You have such a salty and savvy way of doing that... \:D/

@HTL hold your horses there partner! I point out what a step up the CDM schedule is and you want to add or suggest the open spot on the LH schedule should have been CDM? Slow your roll! I will agree with the notion that should CDM fare well this upcoming season and continue to rise in the ranks a LH - CDM game could very well happen.

@TDad the power does shift over time no doubt. I do think we will see this play out with the mobility now of kids, some schools going "all in" on football while others giving up on their programs and the sport in general. Good coaching, commitment from the athletic program will be key to attract and build a great football team. Over the recent years the Trinity League has really set and perfected the model. It's up to the publics to get on board.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Very few OC publics will ever contest what private football has become in the OC.

What a more onic post...up until last year MD pre-league was suspect, league is league, no scheduling...and with the TL no big need to schedule strength other than one or two competitive contests to prep for league. Unless you have super team talent and are chasing the Naty... that leaves two teams who would schedule highly ranked opponents...Just a clown show...
Last edited by Playthegame on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 am

As far as San Clemente goes while onetownoneteam is factual...however Chase Rhetig, Sam Darnold and BCostello all came from different schools, but SC has done it with lots of homegrown over the years...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:45 am

@PTG "onic" .. --:-- were you thinking moronic or maybe sonic on the miss key.... ROFL

Agree, MD relying on any local publics at this point is fruitless, unless Rollo can talk La Mirada into another go 'round!
Last edited by SK80 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am

PTG be like PC ... did not mean sonic

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 pm

I thought there was a reason scheduling La Mirada back to back a couple of years ago ( Mike Moschetti bright offensive guy, young possible replacement down the road at MD )
BUT he goes and retires!!!
Now zero need to play La Mirada, so MD needs to fill it's schedule with other privates and play for the National title, plus who else is going to play them locally?

Return to “High School”