Stir the pot

Daforno

Stir the pot

Post by Daforno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Eric Sondheimer, says MD gets a kid from Sacramento and drops the line "at least 7 transfers in!!!"

What's your point?

The kid simply got on a plane to John Wayne airport took an Uber and showed up at the admissions office??

How about some background, how did the kid get down here? did the family come also? job transfer possibly?

watchersince68

Re: Stir the pot

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Maybe he was at the state championship game in Sacramento against DLS and liked what he saw.

sugarcoat

Post by sugarcoat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Maybe faith-based education offered at Mater Dei is best for the students.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm

There needs to be push back. Stop playing these teams.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Even better... or wtf is going on at Arcadia.... really Arcadia? I know last year some LA kids went over there but what is this new destination that is Arcadia High School.... sheesh Monrovia is pissed now!
Sond_Transfers.png
Sond_Transfers.png (26.91 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Last edited by SK80 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Careful Professor Servite goes the transfer circuit you may not have anybody to play.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:30 pm

How much more does he have to report other than 6'3" 300 pounds, He wants to be on TV ? Red is his favorite color? He heard Rollo speeches?

MD expanding recruiting to Nor Cal, soon national footprint.

Arcadia coach taking advantage of being only show in town...SG Valley kids keep drifting in

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:45 pm

I've enjoyed Eric Sondheimer's articles and respected him as a reporter for well over 20 years...but no more. He has slowly made the transformation from being a talented, dedicated journalist to a biased whiner with an ax to grind, and ever since the Daniels family refused to share with him their plans to leave high school early, he has had nothing but negative things to say about the school. A professional journalist should be able to put his bruised feelings aside, but he seems to lack that ability. He provides a minute-by-minute account of any transfers into Mater Dei, yet completely ignores schools like the one in San Juan Capistrano that have taken in twice as many. High school sports readers deserve better, and I'm very disappointed in the guy.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 pm

#AttentionSeekers

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I hope the big kid from Sacramento told his parents that he was transferring, can you imagine when he didn't come out to breakfast their surprise?
I've been checking and I haven't heard an amber alert for the kid, so maybe the parents were aware he left.
Shame a kid just walks away from his family to play football.
I wonder what the family is going to do on game day, let's see driving from Sacramento to LA at least 7 hours, THEN LA traffic add another 2 hours, kickoff at 7pm they will have to leave Sacramento at 9am and may just make it!

Domingo

Post by Domingo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Serious question. Does Bruce take his program in this direction if Jason Negro and Bosco hadn't done so first? I want to believe the answer is no. If Bosco had not changed So Cal HS Football forever, my personal belief is that we're still watching "Mater Dei" kids playing football for Mater Dei. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Not sure what Bosco has to do with MD making their own choices. Are you asking if Rollo is a follower?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm

watchersince68 wrote:QR_BBPOSTCareful Professor Servite goes the transfer circuit you may not have anybody to play.
I'd consider that worthwhile, if it led to rules changes, or brings about changes that would get ALL schools to just stop it.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Domingo wrote:QR_BBPOST If Bosco had not changed So Cal HS Football forever, my personal belief is that we're still watching "Mater Dei" kids playing football for Mater Dei. Maybe I'm wrong.
Bosco was the first to take advantage of the weaker transfer rules, but, as I've said before, the Mater Dei/Diocesan lawsuit caused the rule changes.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm

MDDad wrote:I've enjoyed Eric Sondheimer's articles and respected him as a reporter for well over 20 years...but no more. He has slowly made the transformation from being a talented, dedicated journalist to a biased whiner with an ax to grind, and ever since the Daniels family refused to share with him their plans to leave high school early, he has had nothing but negative things to say about the school. A professional journalist should be able to put his bruised feelings aside, but he seems to lack that ability. He provides a minute-by-minute account of any transfers into Mater Dei, yet completely ignores schools like the one in San Juan Capistrano that have taken in twice as many. High school sports readers deserve better, and I'm very disappointed in the guy.
. Let me see if I got this right. A writer who has covered high school sports for 20 years and has always criticized the transfer game doesn’t like what MD has become and you are mad at him? Sorry, at least he’s being consistent, it’s MD that’s changed.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Exactly! Sondheimer's been critical of MD long before Daniels ever appeared on Bristol and Edinger. So that's not it. I seem to recall he was very critical of Bosco back when their top 7 basketball players were all transfers too. And it can't be an anti-Catholic thing because J Serra, as MDDad pointed out has NOT been criticized.

I do know that he was very critical of the Mater Dei/Diocesan lawsuit, and let's face it, Mater Dei has taken the art of building all-star teams in multiple sports to a new level with this 2018 football team. A lot of other schools may deserve criticism for doing the same thing, but just not as well as MD does, and perhaps a little more under the radar.

But MD only gets the big name 4* and 5* transfers, and you just can't hush that up (although all the MD posters try their darndest).

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm

There are probably a number of transfers to MD we only here about the ones who make an impact.

I don't know this kids circumstance so I'll assume for the sake of discussion.

Family member gets transferred
Kid can flat out play
Possibly D1 level potential
Where do you want him to go Woodbridge?
If the kid has D1 potential the family has heard of MD, they show up at the admissions office

BOOM welcome to MD, what is MD supposed to do? Say we are too good already, lets level the playing field, try somewhere else we are full.
I don't know of any elite school that would turn this kid away!

Buck

Post by Buck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm

MD recruiting and MD Dad spinning
Attachments
66FD5E82-1E81-4DC6-AD55-80B95DDA097F.jpeg

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm

There are 1,313 High Schools in California ( from the State of California web site Dept of Education )

MD drove by all of them on their search for "this" kid. All the way to Sacramento, get real they didn't recruit this kid they came, remember "build it and they will come"

Md has built it now they are coming, better get used to it!

Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 pm

A few comments on Eric.

First and foremost he's an LA City Section guy. He graduated from an LA City Section school and that's where his heart is. This is why he'll always have at least one LA Cith Section team in his Southland Top 25 regardless of how bad the section is.

Eric used to be compensated by the LA Times partly, but if the numbers were significant, very lucratively, on the number of Twitter followers he had and the number of tweets he posted. Not sure if that's still true but I have to think it's still true. Have you ever wondered why he tweets 24/7 and tweets with vague details or about irrelevant stuff like the Lakers?

Where most respectable reporters know the old adage - newsworthy material will shortly or eventually find the media, Eric seemingly goes out of his way to identify and make news. Since there is minimal news and notes generated in the LA City Section he tends to like the flavor of the month (today it's MD, yesteryear it was SJB, Serra, SM, MV, Amat, LB Poly, Hart, etc.) and wants to stir the pot to, I suppose, stay relevant. Whereas the OCR and SGVT focus on schools and teams Eric doesn't and instead is fascinated by hype, transfers, coaching changes and individual transcendent players. High school sports doesn't want or need investigative reporting. Focus on teams and scores. Thanks. :-)

Eric likes rumors (who doesn't?) and reads the leading blogs, but rather than vet the information he runs across he tends to take major leaps with sound bites and suggestions that are often taken out of context and are from questionable sources. He took a falsehood that was deliberately planted on a previously popular HS football website to comically test if he'd take the erroneous bait and guess what? Yep, he ran with it.

Eric has been known to go fishing for information by posting tweets with vague claims like "I'm nearing news relative to a big Orange County high school. More to come." in the hopes of generating comments on blogs that might actually clue him in to something to write about. Something. Anything. Folks, it's fake news.