Anti-State Sanctuary Movement

Omar Bongo

Re: Anti-State Sanctuary Movement

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am

Jerry Brown's reaction to today's dog & pony show at the White House:

“Trump is lying on immigration, lying about crime and lying about the laws of California. Flying in a dozen Republican politicians to flatter him and praise his reckless policies changes nothing. We, the citizens of the fifth-largest economy in the world, are not impressed.”

=D> =D> =D>

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 am

Ridgecrest City Council votes to oppose sanctuary state, immigration laws

The Ridgecrest City Council on Wednesday voted to support the U.S. in its lawsuit against the state of California challenging state laws AB 450, AB 103, and SB 54. The resolution also states support of “the Constitution and the Rule of Law” and approval of the friends of the court brief filed by the Immigration Reform Law Institute in the lawsuit. A friends of the court brief is a way of indicating support without actually joining the suit.

The gesture is largely a symbolic one.

According to City Attorney Lloyd Pilchen, the deadline has passed to join the friends of the court brief so this is not an immediate possibility. In addition, council has indicated no desire to actually join the federal lawsuit against California for fear of being sued.

The decision was reached after a lengthy and emotionally intense public comment period involving tears, shouting, and the occasional bout of derisive laughter.

http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/201805 ... ation-laws
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 am

Amador Supes Vote To Oppose Sanctuary State Status...Again!

Amador County’s response to the State of California’s status as a so-called “Sanctuary State” was the subject of an often heated discussion before the Board of Supervisors yesterday.

Public comments on the issue were dominated by immigration opponents, who called for supervisors to denounce state law and who were highly critical of undocumented immigrants, calling them dangers to society, a drain on resources and in one case, carriers of decease. On a motion by Supervisor Richard Forster, the board voted to restate their opposition to SB 54, a position that the board had voted for last year, and to submit an amicus, or “friend of the court” brief in support of the Federal Justice Department’s court challenge to the sanctuary law. The motion passed with four votes in favor and Supervisor Frank Axe abstaining.

http://www.kvgcradio.com/local-daily-he ... atus-again
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu May 17, 2018 2:27 am

Add Highland and San Jacinto to the growing list of cities opposing sanctuary state laws. This is like a brushfire. It's moving so fast I am having trouble keeping up with it.

Highland's vote was 3-2 on May 9th. “Since SB54 has a direct effect on the safety of our citizens, I do believe the city should go on record by writing a letter to the governor and others expressing our opposition,” McCallon said.

The letter also will be sent to Attorney General Xavier Becerra, San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors Chairman Robert Lovingood and congressional and state legislative representatives.

https://www.highlandnews.net/news/highl ... 7527d.html

The [San Jacinto] City Council voted 3-1 Tuesday night, May 1, to approve a resolution against the law, which provides protections for undocumented immigrants. Crystal Ruiz, Andrew Kotyuk and Russ Utz voted in favor. Alonso Ledezma was against. Scott Miller was absent.

The majority also voted to file an amicus brief as part of the U.S. Justice Department’s lawsuit

Other Inland cities that have passed resolutions or joined the lawsuit are Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, Yucaipa and Upland. Riverside and Hemet plan to look into the issue soon.

https://www.pe.com/2018/05/01/san-jacin ... state-law/

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post The sum total of the number of people up in arms in those 35 local jurisdictions could probably hold their rally in a high school gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9BeGNnCqw

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 am

This is why the anti-immigration movement is racist. Pure and simple.

From the Chicago Tribune.

Immigration agents arrest 114 at Ohio landscaper

More than 100 workers at an Ohio gardening and landscaping company were arrested Tuesday when about 200 federal officers descended on the business and carried out one of the largest workplace immigration raids in recent years.

The operation was part of the White House's increasing focus on businesses that hire people in the country illegally amid a broad range of immigration crackdowns under President Donald Trump that include stepped-up deportations, targeting of sanctuary cities and zero-tolerance border policies.

Over 100 immigrants arrested but no charges against the company's owners. Why is that?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am

Because they hadn't reviewed the records they seized.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:32 pm

The Professor seems to have missed this one - today a Republican federal judge took Jeff Sessions to the woodshed:

"A federal judge has once again rebuked the administration's efforts to pressure so-called sanctuary cities, going further than any to date in using a recent Supreme Court decision to rule an existing federal law unconstitutional.

The ruling Wednesday from Judge Michael Baylson, a George W. Bush appointee, thus far applies only to his district in the Philadelphia area, but it could lay the groundwork for even more rulings that further limit what the administration can do to punish sanctuary cities -- a key priority of the administration."

Maybe someday this administration will consider reasonable compromise and work out procedures that actually solve problems instead of tough posturing and pandering to the base by unilaterally imposing knee-jerk dictums that won't stand up to judicial review...or maybe not

https://us.cnn.com/2018/06/06/politics/ ... index.html
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

A U.S. judge on Thursday rejected a request by the Trump administration to block two California laws that protect immigrants in the country illegally...

Judge John Mendez refused to block a law requiring the state to review detention facilities where immigrants are held and another that prevents local law enforcement from providing release dates and personal information on jail inmates.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/0 ... wsuit.html
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:37 pm

And...ruled in Trump's favor on the third law. All are temporary rulings, as this will end up in the SCOTUS.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm

I'll take two out of three from a republican-appointed judge every time =D>

And good luck on the SC ruling that the federal government can obstruct state law
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Good luck on imagining that the SCOTUS hasn't ever heard of the Supremacy Clause.

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution (Article VI, Clause 2) establishes that the Constitution, federal laws made pursuant to it, and treaties made under its authority, constitute the supreme law of the land.[1] It provides that state courts are bound by the supreme law; in case of conflict between federal and state law, the federal law must be applied. Even state constitutions are subordinate to federal law. - Wikipedia

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I'm surprised he blocked the one requiring a warrant to search private areas of businesses. I thought it made the most sense. Shows how much I know, I guess.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Good luck on imagining that the SCOTUS hasn't ever heard of the Supremacy Clause.

You've heard of it, but do you know how it works? What federal law is the CA state law conflicting with?
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:51 am

Okay, I see what the problem with that law is. It requires the business not to let the Migras in without a warrant rather than allowing them not to. Pretty crazy, actually.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post What federal law is the CA state law conflicting with?

Simple...It interferes with the enforcement of immigration law, which is the sole responsibility of the federal government.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Not cooperating != interfering.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:56 pm

It doesn't protect law officers from being forced to cooperate, but rather forces them NOT to cooperate. Here's a hypothetical situation. Officer Muldoon wants to inform ICE that a criminal alien will be released on Monday, so that ICE can pick him up and deport him. But Governor Moonbeam's law has threatened him if he does. Without that law, the illegal gets picked up and deported. With that law he doesn't. I'd say that means that law is interfering with the ability of the federal government to perform their constitutionally approved functions, which is, of course what it's intended to do.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:19 pm

If Officer Muldoon wants to work for ICE, let him get a job with ICE. His not reporting an alien doesn't prevent ICE from doing its job any more than Piggly Wiggly not providing carry-out service prevents you from getting your groceries to your car. And notice that I said "alien" and not "criminal alien". The law makes an exception for criminal aliens. The law protects busboys picked up for parking ticket warrants but not the roving bands of MS-13 members Donald wants us to think are camped out on our lawns.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm

That doesn't change the fact that without the sanctuary state law, the bad guy gets deported. The existence of that law stops that from happening. Therefore that law is interfering with the federal government's performance of its constitutionally approved functions.

I've stated my position. I'll give you the last word because I have no interest in arguing.

Return to “California”