No more playing not true high schools

cruiser

No more playing not true high schools

Postby cruiser » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:28 pm

The CIF state council approves the state HS athletic rule that California high schools cannot
compete against other high schools that do not play in their own state's playoffs
beginning with the 2019-2020 school year.

Professor Fate

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Maybe Mater Dei should sue them.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Dumb rule. Why does the CIF even care who a team plays in the preseason? If teams want to play IMG, let them.

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 am

Perhaps we see IMG and other schools in the same boat sue the CIF instead. It would be interesting to hear the CIF’s argument for doing this. Are they afraid they they will come here and take our players away? I say more power to the kids that are good enough. It’s a very very small number. Off the top of my head I can think of Delgado from Bosco, Bol Bol to Finley Prep several kids to Oak Hill, and the Chaminade RB last year that went to IMG. I’m sure there are more. But what is wrong with that?
To me a larger, a much more important, implication is that it would prevent a similar ‘school’ being established here in Cali (or make less likely) since they wouldn’t be able to play any local completion.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 am

OutOfState gets it. This isn't about IMG so much as it's about any future IMG's starting up in California. Remember that we have a Secretary of Education who fully supports for-profit "schools," which would probably increase the likelihood of sports "trade schools" proliferating. Sounds to me like this is more about keeping the "high school" in high school sports than anything else.

I assume this would also block the "ordinary" out-of-state pre-season games?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:01 pm

This ruling has nothing to do with "potentially blocking the out of state preseason games". It was all about stopping IMG from a start up in CA. I believe its the kids choice to go to what ever school they want, but in this day and age everything is getting out of hand. But the preseason games between top HS programs won't be blocked.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Football will be a club sport in a few years and then the fun starts.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 pm

HSFB is a club sport at some schools aready, Tommy. These are not high school teams we are watching as the term is meant..........Luca

(I got the joke, Prof, even if no one else did.)

sugarcoat

Postby sugarcoat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

Reading the webpage IMG seems to be a very honest place. It is all about sports. Am I missing something? It is about sports. Other schools, public and especially Catholic should be so honest.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 am

by sugarcoat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am
Reading the webpage IMG seems to be a very honest place. It is all about sports. Am I missing something? It is about sports. Other schools, public and especially Catholic should be so honest.

Any specific Catholic High Schools you think are not being honest on their websites?

sugarcoat

Postby sugarcoat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 am

jb914 - it's not the web-site; it's the mission of the school, the purpose for their very existence. Read their mission statement, then consider where the emphasis or as another thread has it "priorities" (sic) lie.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Well said, Sugarcoat! Pretty much what I posted two months ago also:
by Professor Fate » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Simple, Mater Dei administrators should reflect on why the school was founded in the first place, and then ask themselves whether accepting a senior transfer from a public school, who only comes to Mater Dei because he wants a great coaching staff for four months, fits in with that reason for the school's founding.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Professor, the priorities thread he referred to is about Servite.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Mr. Grady

Postby Mr. Grady » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 pm

California's bureaucractic culture is notorious for legislating unwanted behavior out of private citizens and institutions through increasing regulation if shaming and ostracizing doesn't work. And now it's entering new territory into the world of legislating behavior out of private schools that aren't even in California.

The obvious goal here is prevention an IMG from setting up shop in California but another, and more annoying, reason is a symbolic stand for their federation brethern in Florida and elsewhere by effectively writing a amicus curiae that puts, what the CIF hopes, is pressure on high profile privates like IMG to become more compliant with the conventional cirriculum and recruiting rules in their local federations.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 pm

If anything, this sort of thing will push the all-out club format more than it will dissuade it. No one likes being told what to do. The CIF is cooking its own goose with each passing year.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Why does the CIF even care who a team plays in the preseason.

...effectively writing a amicus curiae that puts, what the CIF hopes, is pressure on high profile privates like IMG to become more compliant...

The CIF is cooking its own goose with each passing year.

I'm not sure why people continue to think of the CIF as some kind of independent legislature that makes it's own decisions and writes its own rules. It's not. It is the administrative and enforcement entity of the state's member high schools that it represents. All it's rules and decisions reflect the desires of those members.

sugarcoat

Postby sugarcoat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:19 am

Thank you but why single out Mater Dei? I’m not saying all Trinity League teams are guilty by association but... shouldn’t the Trinity League schools have some sort of High moral standard Ought not the Trinity League schools be schools not just teams that are looked up to because they rise above the rest? What they do have is money that allows them great freedom.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 am

MDDad wrote:I'm not sure why people continue to think of the CIF as some kind of independent legislature that makes it's own decisions and writes its own rules. It's not. It is the administrative and enforcement entity of the state's member high schools that it represents. All it's rules and decisions reflect the desires of those members.

Very well. Whatever legislative, rule-making, rule-governing body is responsible for the rules that the member schools within the CIF abides by, how's that? If the member schools are creating these rules and the CIF is merely approving/adopting them as the opening post suggests, then those same schools are cooking their own goose.

The point of the matter is whoever made this decision (and others like it) in the long run will speed up the era of full-on club football, with the top athletes playing for clubs over schools, and I'm not sure that's what they intended. Or maybe it is.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 am

sugarcoat wrote:Thank you but why single out Mater Dei? I’m not saying all Trinity League teams are guilty by association but... shouldn’t the Trinity League schools have some sort of High moral standard Ought not the Trinity League schools be schools not just teams that are looked up to because they rise above the rest? What they do have is money that allows them great freedom.

It would seem to me as Christian organizations, they have an even greater purpose and reason to accept any and all children into their schools/programs and encourage more to follow. Not to get all religious about it, but their school and program is a part of their ministry and outreach and one can never tell how God might be working through that, or how the child or family might be affected by the experience. Those who keep banging that "higher moral standard" drum need to back all the way down and just pray about it.

Return to “High School”