Illinois Counties Declare ‘Sanctuary’ Status for Gun Owners

Professor Fate

Illinois Counties Declare ‘Sanctuary’ Status for Gun Owners

Postby Professor Fate » Sun May 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Several rural Illinois counties have taken a stand for gun rights by co-opting a word that conservatives associate with a liberal policy to skirt the law: sanctuary.

At least five counties recently passed resolutions declaring themselves sanctuary counties for gun owners — a reference to so-called sanctuary cities such as Chicago that don’t cooperate with aspects of federal immigration enforcement.

The resolutions are meant to put the Democratic-controlled Legislature on notice that if it passes a host of gun bills, including new age restrictions for certain weapons, a bump stock ban and size limit for gun magazines, the counties might bar their employees from enforcing the new laws.

...Not lost on them is that lawmakers from Chicago were instrumental in turning Illinois into what they derisively call a “sanctuary state” by passing recent legislation that prohibits local law enforcement from arresting or detaining people based solely on their immigration status. Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner signed it into law.

“They are trying to make a point that they really resent how the city of Chicago treats the rest of the state and how they’re treated as gun owners,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association.

...Dave Workman, of the Bellevue, Washington-based Second Amendment Foundation, sees something more.

“It’s like a warning shot across somebody’s bow,” said Workman, who knows of one other place, Oregon’s Deschutes County, that is looking at doing something similar to the Illinois counties.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/illin ... li=BBnb7Kz

The article points out the irony of Democrats complaining about them saying, "I don’t agree with the law, so I won’t enforce it.”

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Illinois Counties Declare ‘Sanctuary’ Status for Gun Owners

Postby John Q. Public » Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 am

So... rural Illinois has such a problem with undocumented car wash personnel that they're going to turn their heads on machine guns and pipe bombs.

Got it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Mon May 07, 2018 3:03 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post The resolutions are meant to put the Democratic-controlled Legislature on notice....

...Not lost on them is that lawmakers from Chicago were instrumental in turning Illinois into what they derisively call a “sanctuary state” by passing recent legislation that prohibits local law enforcement from arresting or detaining people based solely on their immigration status.

Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner signed it into law.

The article points out the irony of Democrats complaining about them saying, "I don’t agree with the law, so I won’t enforce it.”

Does the article point out the irony of them complaining it was done by Democrats when a Republican governor signed the thing? Seems like one of those "bi-partisan" efforts to me.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 am

Or the irony of these being gun owners in rural Illinois, where any illegals they might run into are likely the backbone of their local economy.

Also, what the law bars isn't just holding illegals for ICE, but actually picking them up for ICE. It prevents local police from doing pretty much what Sheriff Joe ended up going to jail for.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Return to “National”