Sports and Politics

Bick

Sports and Politics

Postby Bick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:56 am

If ever there was an oil and water pair, it's sports/entertainment and politics.

Seems most examples of those two being mixed together ends up very poorly. Regardless of which side you believe in, those NFL players protesting has caused a large number of fans to turn away. Players refusing to attend the White House visit when Obama was president thru now Trump dis-inviting teams, further politicizes a tradition that had nothing to do with politics. I recall looking forward to watching the Academy Awards for years up until about 10-20 years ago when politics became a larger part of the awards.

While some here will dispute whether some ancillary activity is a political issue, what's not debatable is that it has nothing to do with the reason people chose to watch in the first place, or the traditions associated with that sports / entertainment event.

Fordama

Re: Sports and Politics

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

Trump was the one who involved the White House in the controversy.

And rarely has there been more than two or three players not go to the White House to be honored. And never, that I can remember, has a President inserted himself into a serious player issue like this one has.

And if that SOB thinks patriotism is so important, he should at least learn the words to God Bless America and National Anthem before he pops off about how other people should be forced to act patriotically.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:06 pm

How do you know he doesn't. Because he stopped moving his lips? Maybe he got choked up with emotion. Maybe he got distracted by the two kneelers that showed up. You don't know.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm

He was singing the abridged version.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post How do you know he doesn't. Because he stopped moving his lips? Maybe he got choked up with emotion. Maybe he got distracted by the two kneelers that showed up. You don't know.

Thanks for the laugh, professor. :lol:
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

Professor Fate wrote:How do you know he doesn't. Because he stopped moving his lips? Maybe he got choked up with emotion. Maybe he got distracted by the two kneelers that showed up. You don't know.

Hahaha....

I think Cooper was talking to you as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhv6nbXwnwE
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am

Professor Fate wrote:How do you know he doesn't. Because he stopped moving his lips? Maybe he got choked up with emotion. Maybe he got distracted by the two kneelers that showed up. You don't know.

It's come to this? Really?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Trump could just come right out and declare "It's true, I did collude with the Russians to help me win the election" and his supporters would say he's not really saying he actually colluded with the Russians to help him win the election
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Exactly. Or the peepee tapes could be real--they wouldn't care. Maybe it would start a fad?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “National”