The Blue Wave looks like it was an ankle slapper

John Q. Public
Site Admin

The Blue Wave looks like it was an ankle slapper

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:56 am

21.8% turnout. Josh Newman lost his seat (60%-40%) in the most cynical political stunt in recent memory. No idea if any of them were outright winners (this system is very confusing), but Nunes, McCarthy, McClintock and Ling Ling Chang (State Senate) won their districts handily and Rohrabacher not so handily, but he got the highest total. And in my own 39th District, like many others, a Democrat was the leader but Republican votes outnumbered Democratic votes.

And in the Governor's race, John Cox (Donald's pick) got 26% compared to Newsom's 33%. Pretty impressive for California.

Not much of a wave.

Raw votes here: https://vote.sos.ca.gov/

Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Re: The Blue Wave looks like it was an ankle slapper

Postby ShiftyMutt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

Democrats just don’t vote. If they voted they’d actually win.

I also read that independents now out number republicans in Calif. That’s says a lot. I think people generally want balance, not left or right.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am

In the governor's race, Newsome did get 33%. But other Democrats garnered a total of 38%, and I don't see a lot of those drifting over to a Trump candidate later.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 am

ShiftyMutt wrote:Source of the post I think people generally want balance, not left or right.

Exactly. State-level Democrats don't seem to get that and I think it's going to catch up with them, maybe in November. The state Democratic Party wouldn't endorse Feinstein and went with the more liberal De Leon. Feinstein won 44% to 11% and was the only candidate I saw who won every county. That wasn't just an incumbent advantage.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 am

The OC Registrar said that turnout was higher than any in recent memory (37.6%). By about 10 points.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 am

The state said it was around 24%. Maybe there's a lag. Either way, the Democratic vote wasn't what it was hyped as. And Pat Bates showed that there's no correlation between a district voting for Hillary and it voting Democratic again.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 am

The OC Registrar's number is specific to OC.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

1. Many people sit the primaries out and just vote in the general

2. Trump wasn't on the ballot

3. It's waaaaaaaaaay early to make any predictions about November

4. This turnout numbers are just pitiful...can't even bother to vote by mail?
Maybe they should only allow those who voted in the primary to vote in the general...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Dems in CA usually participate at a higher number in the general than the primary. The race with the largest statewide turnout (the contest for governor), Democratic candidates combined have won 61 percent of the vote, versus 38 percent for the GOP. It’s near certain that gap will grow, and it is entirely possible that it will grow enough to put some of the races cited as GOP-leaning into 50/50 territory, or even narrowly in favor of the Democrats.

Californians like absentee and vote by mail. There was almost 200K votes in OC that still needed counting.

I agree the recall campaign was both bogus and shameless opportunism. I'm betting Sen. Chang gets zero bills out of committee. Or they get hijacked if they are any good.

I wouldn't be popping champagne corks just yet.

It's getting to the point where "Dems in Disarray" is becoming as ubiquitous as organ players in sports venues playing Sweet Caroline.

The general rule in California is that one would expect the primary turnout to be more Republican-leaning than the general election. The reason is the same reason why one might expect that in other parts of the country: The Republican electorate is older and whiter, two demographic factors that generally predict more reliable voter turnout.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 am

We do have the repeal of the California gas tax on the November ballot. After a long lot hot summer of super high gas prices and crazy electricity prices people may want a change.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Return to “California”