The Angry Left Is Turning Me Into A Trump Supporter

Professor Fate

The Angry Left Is Turning Me Into A Trump Supporter

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm

by Bethany MandelJune 12, 2018
uring the election, the deluge of hate that came my way when I expressed my disapproval of then-candidate Donald Trump was so violent that I purchased a gun.

But these days, the vitriol is coming from the other side.

...Expressing anything resembling support for the Trump administration has become nothing short of a taboo. And these backlashes... do raise the question, should Americans really be publicly shamed and bullied into apologizing for stating that they support the President of the United States? There is more than a chance that this could spectacularly backfire.

During the primary season and general election, I was a vocal conservative against Trump. I could not fathom how anyone could possibly support such an oaf, such a bully, for President.

But I’m starting to understand.

Before the election, The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf published a dialogue he had with a 22-year old Trump supporter living and working in Silicon Valley. How could such a man possibly support then-candidate Trump, was the question Friedersdorf put to him. “For me personally, it’s resistance against what San Francisco has been, and what I see the country becoming, in the form of ultra-PC culture,” the Trump supporter told him. “That’s where it’s almost impossible to have polite or constructive political discussion. Disagreement gets you labeled fascist, racist, bigoted, etc.”

This backlash against political correctness is what got Donald Trump elected.

Read more: https://forward.com/opinion/402998/the- ... supporter/

There's a line in the article about comparing Trump's immigration policy to Nazis. It reminded my of what Dennis Miller said turned him away from the Democrats...namely that every argument included bandying the word Nazi around incessantly and calling George W Bush a Nazi.

Do people ever learn from history? (I suppose not, the way statues of historical figures are being taken down). Anyway, this sort of thing is the same thing liberal Jonathan Pie told us about in the video JQP posted, and which I have referred to several times.

BTW, Jonathan Pie...is his middle initial Q by any chance?

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Re: The Angry Left Is Turning Me Into A Trump Supporter

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Conservatives control the entire federal government yet claim victim status.

I would ask.

What is PC stopping them from doing?

Other than being a-holes?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 pm

It appears to me that the author is defining "PC" as saying only what the "PC" crowd will allow. By definition, that means saying anything else can not be permitted. It must be prevented, shouted down, silenced by shaming, insulting, and even by all types of bullying including violence.
Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

The Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, finds that 71% Americans believe that political correctness has silenced important discussions our society needs to have. The consequences are personal—58% of Americans believe the political climate prevents them from sharing their own political beliefs.

Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-ameri ... ve-58-have
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Like what discussions are being stifled?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Unless they precisely defined "political correctness," all that says is 71% of Americans are looking for somebody to blame.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Wabash, I don't believe the article answers that question, so I imagine different people have different ideas on that. Do you think maybe that you should ask Luca, MDDad, Red, Kramer, and SLK230?

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 am

Do you imagine that you have an answer to that question?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Do people ever learn from history?

Do you?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:52 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Do you think maybe that you should ask Luca, MDDad, Red, Kramer, and SLK230?

What is PC stopping YOU from doing?

The others have pretty much snowflaked out.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:12 am

Given her past writing, I'm not buying into the idea that she is "now" turning into a Trump supporter.

But at this point what would one expect.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 am

Watch a 5 minutes of a Trump rally and tell me it's the left that's angry... :roll:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post “For me personally, it’s resistance against what San Francisco has been, and what I see the country becoming, in the form of ultra-PC culture,” the Trump supporter told him. “That’s where it’s almost impossible to have polite or constructive political discussion. Disagreement gets you labeled fascist, racist, bigoted, etc.”

So his argument is he was tired of being labelled a racist so he voted for trump?

If that's your argument professor I can't say it moves me. That argument lacks logic.

It's as impressive an argument as if he'd have said he was tired of being called stupid so he did something really dumb to prove them wrong.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am

Wabash wrote:Source of the post What is PC stopping YOU from doing?

I assume you don't mean TRYING to stop me, but rather ACTUALLY stopping me. If so, the answer is nothing, save virtually outlawing a word or two.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am

So what is the problem with PC?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am

It's an attempt to control free speech, obviously.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 am

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post If that's your argument professor I can't say it moves me.
I guess I'll just have to get by without you being moved. The anti-PC thing was only one part of my decision to vote for Trump.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 am

Professor Fate wrote:It's an attempt to control free speech, obviously.

I call it being held accountable.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post The anti-PC thing was only one part of my decision to vote for Trump.

No doubt. I hope your other reasons made more sense, but I'll give you some credit in that trump has no common decency so the PC label certainly doesn't apply to him.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Trump is flummoxed enough by just plain old Correctness :lol:

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post It's an attempt to control free speech, obviously.

You can still say anything you want. There is nothing about PC stopping you.

I'm curious. What speech do you believe is being stifled?

Return to “National”