Manafort Trial

Wabash

Re: Manafort Trial

Postby Wabash » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 am

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post Based on what? Every news outlet following the trial has a different take. What's the basis for your claim that he'll 'walk"?

There are numerous conservative websites claiming the prosecution is getting its ass kicked. QAnon being one of them.

Here is another. Click at your own risk.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clickbait

broman

Postby broman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 am

Gates and Manafort were indicted together. Gates admitted his guilt, Manafort is having his day in court. Anyway, that is at least one more criminal that was involved in the Trump campaign. My speculation is the Manafort case is the message to those in Trumps orbit to come clean.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

Come clean and accept whatever plea arrangement they're offered. Or not, since Donald's going to pardon all of them, anyway. But IF Manafort's found guilty, the witness tampering pretty much assures that the judge won't show him any leniency on his sentence. On paper.

But I'd think that it would be in Donald's interest to encourage any future indictees to go as quietly as possible, pardons or not.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Or not, since Donald's going to pardon all of them, anyway.

It seems likely that this is what Manafort's counting on, but I wonder what the political fallout would be if trump pardoned Manafort.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Red

Postby Red » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I think on my own. How funny, all the liberals have is, you listen to Hannity or Fox news. Mark my word, Manafort walks.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed the off-topic part

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Manafort's trial, guys. Red's post at least mentioned it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Ok, well then let me mention that this is only Manafort's first trial. He has another trial coming up in D.C.

I think people will find that one a lot more interesting.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:22 am

It is noteworthy that the jury is examining the facts and law very carefully. One of the questions the jury sent to the judge is whether an American who owns less than 50% of a foreign account and does not have signature authority over the account but who does have disbursement power is required to file an FBAR report with the Treasury Dept. Manafort had such an account and he didn't file the FBAR. The judge told the jury that yes, he should have filed the FBAR, so it looks like Manafort will be found guilty on this count, at the very least.

In the unlikely event that Manafort skates on all 18 counts, he's hardly out of the wood. Court filings from Thursday reveal that for his second trial, set to begin Sept. 17 in Washington D.C., the prosecution has just a tad bit more evidence. And the second trial focuses on different crimes than the first one (money laundering and illegal foreign lobbying vs. tax evasion and bank fraud), the evidence is almost entirely new. Manafort's attorneys will certainly earn their money. Whether they actually get it is another matter.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman

Postby broman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:56 am

Manafort whole defense has been Gates did it or he didn't know better.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 am

Red wrote:I think on my own. How funny, all the liberals have is, you listen to Hannity or Fox news. Mark my word, Manafort walks.

If Manafort is found not guilty or the jury is deadlocked Mueller will be fired.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:39 am

As has been pointed out. Manafort has more than one trial to worry about.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am

Tommy Tar wrote:Source of the post If Manafort is found not guilty or the jury is deadlocked Mueller will be fired.

Who will fire him and why?

broman

Postby broman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 am

Tommy Tar wrote:If Manafort is found not guilty or the jury is deadlocked Mueller will be fired.

Why? Mueller exposed plenty of illegal actions by Manafort and Gates who were charged together. Gates made a deal, Manafort's fate is in the hands of the jury.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Mueller was picked to investigate any Russia/Trump meddling in the 2016 elections. This case has nothing to do with that. This is a tax and bank fraud trial and should have been handed over the the IRS who prosecute these cases all the time. The prosecution team Mueller put together have little or no experience in tax law or how to explain it to a jury. That's way the jury sent a note to the judge on day 1 with all the questions about the laws.

Mueller was trying to get Gates to flip on Trump but he has nothing. Then Mueller cut a deal with Gates to put the squeeze on Manafort but he has nothing or not talking. This trial has nothing to do with Russia or President Trump but is being sold on the MSM as it is.

If Manafort is guilty of fraud I hope he's sent to prison but IMO a guilty verdict will be sold as Russian rigged the 2016 election.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Tommy, with all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.

The indictment of Manafort was a direct result of the Muller investigation into the Trump campaign. He was the campaign manager if you recall.

Muller's team is fully versed and experienced in prosecuting tax/bank fraud cases. Juries send notes out all the time.

Your speculation about Gates and Manafort turning or not turning on Trump is just that, speculation.

I have no idea what you mean by "sold as Russian rigged the 2016 election." If Manafort is found guilty, it will be only for the charges that he is facing.

Mueller (AKA Bobby Three-Sticks), in his final report, will give us the lowdown on whether or not Trump was involved. We already know Russia rigged the 2016 election.

Red

Postby Red » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Mueller is a criminal is his on right. The fox watching the chicken coop. He should have never been appointed. He is a witness as is Rosenstein.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Red

Postby Red » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

crayegg, with all due respect, he was Trump's campaign for 10 months and was indicted for some he supposedly had done 15 years ago and has nada to do with Russian Collusion. It appears to me all of the Russian collusion was with Hillary and the DNC. At least know what you are talking about before scolding a good man.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Red

Postby Red » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:55 pm

crayegg, your last sentence was quite intriguing. Care to elaborate how the Russians rigged the election? I'll wait until you tune in to CNN for the answer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red

Postby Red » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 pm

My bet is....hung jury. Normal Americans aren't that stupid and are not impressed with a criminal, Mueller.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:Source of the post Mueller was picked to investigate any Russia/Trump meddling in the 2016 elections. This case has nothing to do with that. This is a tax and bank fraud trial and should have been handed over the the IRS who prosecute these cases all the time.

This case is well within Mueller's Special Orders.

Here are Mueller's official orders. Pay attention to subsections (ii), (iii), and part (c) in particular:

(a) Robert S. Mueller III is appointed t() serve as Specia] Counsel for the United States
Department of Justice.

(b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confinned by then-FBI
Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination bet ween the Russian government and individuals
associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

(c) If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is
authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

The soundbites you cite are rightwing talking points from sources counting on you not knowing the full scope of Mueller's authority.

Return to “National”