Bosco vs Mater Dei

Notorious

Re: Bosco vs Mater Dei

Postby Notorious » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Red wrote:Yes indeed JQP. Fact is, nobody was screaming about it when Olu "bought" players.

Yeah I definitely didn’t spend my high school and college years defending against that on this specific website no less.

Oh wait I did, and specifically against you. Not sure why you dragged that carcass of an argument into this thread though.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Anyone who says that Catholic parochial school kids aren't an integral part of the Mater Dei football program is clearly ignoring this evidence. Ten of them even got on to the field.
https://1.cdn.edl.io/SDUwPu387pqeguBrvI ... V0OUck.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0023.JPG

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Give them time, Credo. CIF cheerleading is a competitive sport as of 2017. The ringers will be coming to MD soon enough.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

americanhero

Postby americanhero » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Saw the thread and the number of pages and got excited that there may actually be a football conversation taking place. Should have known better.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Most of these guys post like a guy who flips the playing board over when it becomes clear he can't win
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

jb914

Postby jb914 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Boundaries for private schools! If they aren't limited by religion anymore, then they need to be limited by geographical boundaries, like everybody else.

So, I know some kids that go to Loyola that live in Orange County. In your utopian fantasy land would that be allowed, Professor?

The only time I've ever heard of a Catholic HS limiting enrollment by religion is in this thread. I went to an all-boys Catholic HS and we had many non-Catholic's of all faiths. The only way you could tell was during mass when they didn't take communion. We also had kids from all over the area. and this was in the early 80's in a southern state.

Fist bump to BoscoBrave for his comments, spot on about how his son learned about the Catholic faith and to respect others faiths.

and to BBB yes the parking structure is well underway. MD will need it to have ample parking for the new state of the art Performing Arts building and additional classrooms that will be added with the project to increase enrollment. :thumbsup:

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm

MDDad, I answered your question. I don’t care who MD brings in to play football. Like you apparently, I could care less about the religious aspect as long as they can help the team. Athiest? Who cares if you can run a 4.5 forty! Cool by us, right?

What I find interesting is you still haven’t answered my question and offered up a football recruit that MD has flipped to Catholicism. My guess is you don’t have even a single one. Your entire administration and football staff could care less too. So tell your little pack of hyenas to quit using this disingenuous argument.

And my bad - I thought everyone enjoyed midgets and clowns. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

Omar - didn’t realize you were a midget and/or a clown. I was not trying to make it personal as you said. It’s whats on the inside that matters little guy...

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 pm

jb914 wrote:and to BBB yes the parking structure is well underway. MD will need it to have ample parking for the new state of the art Performing Arts building and additional classrooms that will be added with the project to increase enrollment. :thumbsup:

I wish you would have told cruiser about the performing arts building and additional classrooms so he could have posted about these positive developments rather than his constant harping about a three story parking structure like it was the be all end all.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 pm

BigBosco wrote:...Has it not been a long standing priority of the Catholicism to convert and add more faithful to the ranks?

Allowing and even encouraging non Catholics to attend is entirely consistent with that historical mission.

I know my son, played offensive line at Bosco graduated with an understanding of faith and respect for the catholic religion. He graduated as a better person with stronger morals and a sense of what is important. He started high school with no faith and no understanding of Catholicism.

And yes, he attended Bosco purely for football purposes initially. But, his learning and growth as a person far exceeded football knowledge.

LOL BigBoi, name a single Bosco player who converted to Catholicism? Even your kid didn’t convert. The hypocrisy in this disengenuous argument runs deep. But let’s keep pretending that Bosco and MD are motivated by that “historical mission” when they recruit football players. What a joke.

And nice job raising your kid with no respect for other religions (let alone with no faith or understanding of Christianity) and instead having his school do your job for you.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Long Beach used to have Poly(s)
'till they went to the land of the free (tuition)
And the home of the (Bosco) Braves

And yet another alternate helmet and uniform for the boys from Bellflower. What is that, seven different sets now? And this a high school program? I'm not sure if the Phil Knight Oregon Ducks--or the Dallas Cowboys--have this much shiny bling. And $330 season tickets for the new $7.2M stadium. I mean, who wouldn't want to fork over $55 to see the Braves roll over Paramount H.S. by 12 TDs? When are the personal seat licenses going to debut?

Not surprisingly, all this will surely attract more superstar athletes. Other schools will likely follow suit, chasing after the golden ring. Many will call this "smart marketing" or the "new reality." I call it sad.

Thank you, Jason Negro.

Get your tix soon!
https://gofan.co/app/events/season/419

BigBosco

Postby BigBosco » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:12 pm

BBB response to losing an argument is insulting and childish.

BBB's paraphrased response: "I'm angry! And you're a liar! And a bad parent!"

Me thinks you still need some parenting BBB.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm

BigBoi, how can I lose an argument when I merely point out what you yourself implied? And nowhere am I angry or call you a liar.

If I do need more parenting, I certainly know not to turn to you based on your very own admission of how you fell short in that responsibility.

Put simply, Bosco doesn’t recruit football players with the “mission” to convert them to Catholicism. Let’s just be less hypocritical about that point.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 am

BBB wrote:What I find interesting is you still haven’t answered my question and offered up a football recruit that MD has flipped to Catholicism. My guess is you don’t have even a single one. Your entire administration and football staff could care less too. So tell your little pack of hyenas to quit using this disingenuous argument.

You're right, I don't know of a single "football recruit that MD has flipped to Catholicism". I also don't know of any other student who has converted, just as I don't know what those families had for dinner last night or what the parents' sexual practices are. Those are private things neither I nor you would be likely to know. More importantly, it's not the mission of Mater Dei or any other Catholic high school I know of to "flip" people to Catholicism, so it's not surprising that such "flips" are probably pretty rare. But a clever fellow like you probably already knew that.

If your only complaint against the school and its football program is that some supporters here believe that football players (or any other student) are "brought in" for altruistic religious reasons, well, I'm not one of them. As for the rest of the "hyenas", you'll have to address them individually.

leftyRosenthal

Postby leftyRosenthal » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 pm

Domingo wrote:Are you freaking kidding me?!? Is this true? That's unbelievable! I know Trent McDuffie is the only starter at Bosco that attended a local Catholic school. I'm still waiting for someone to provide a list of local Parochial kids that will start for Mater Dei.

Starting:
Salazar - Nose Tackle
Gibson - OLine

Not sure if starting:
Elsenpeter - Punter/brother graduated last year

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:36 pm

This old argument again? :lol:

Hyena Out
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm

and for a private school, MD gets tons of applications, many students I believe don't even get a chance to attend or enroll at MD due to the capacity of students, too many on the waiting list.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

The current status enrollment of MD students, I believe from last school year shows (the stats
person screwed up the enrollment stats a bit but you can figure it out), 74% are catholics,
basically 1 in 4 students are non-catholic, as I posted before in five years or so,this ratio will probably
be closer to 1 in 3 non-catholics attending MD, only 50% come from catholic feeder elementary
school now days (and I think that will be lower in the years to come) while 50% come from other private schools and public schools, caucasian students now make up less than 30% of the entire student population , a truly diverse religious private school. Times change.

Yes, in many years, there is a waiting list for incoming frosh,that is why MD is projecting to
increase it's enrollment to 2500 students in the next few years, 55% of MD students receive
some kind of financial aid to attend MD - apparently parents seem to think MD is a good fit
for their children even with all the negative comments about MD on this message board!

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 am

So, who was the player that was outed?

BBB

Postby BBB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 am

cruiser wrote:...apparently parents seem to think MD is a good fit for their children even with all the negative comments about MD on this message board!

If you live in Floral Park, or another similar neighborhoods, you don’t really have a choice...

HolyTrinityBlankman

Postby HolyTrinityBlankman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 am

For some dumb reason, I actually thought this thread would be about two HSFB teams. :lol:

Return to “High School”