FV and MD Prep
Anyone hear anything about Newport ?
Edison ?
Los Al ?
CDM ?

Futurefriardad

Re: Scrimmages This week

Postby Futurefriardad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 am

Any update on Servite or OLu scrimmage opponents?? And what dates?

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:00 am

Los Al does not scrimmage until next week on the 17th at Yorba Linda. Los Al does not play their first game until the 24th against Vista Murrieta.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 am

TESORO will be @ CDM on 8/10 at Davidson Field in Newport Beach. =D>

Frosh 3 PM
JV 5 PM
Varsity 7 PM

Let's get this season on! :whew:

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am

Olu will have its scrimmage on the 10th at Downey High School at 5PM

BOOFIE714

Postby BOOFIE714 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

@Tustin High
JV 415PM
Varsity 715pm

Tustin
Beckman
Foothill
Segerstrom

Playingtime

Postby Playingtime » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Santa Margarita at home this Thursday (7pm) vs Millikan

Luca

Postby Luca » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Norco at Jserra at 7pm August 10

SuperMonster

Postby SuperMonster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

SK80 wrote:TESORO will be @ CDM on 8/10 at Davidson Field in Newport Beach. =D>

Frosh 3 PM
JV 5 PM
Varsity 7 PM

Let's get this season on! :whew:

SK80...they changed it. JV and Vars will both go at 7pm. They're going to split the field.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 am

Thanx SuperMonsta'..., I'll check that out and I think it makes sense... more time for Happy Hour before the Tesoro Tangle" !!
Last edited by SK80 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperMonster

Postby SuperMonster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 pm

:cheers:

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm

La Cave :thumbsup:

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm

What happened to the other "scrimmage" thread...? :eh?:

Anyway, quick take from Davidson Field tonight,

CDM puts up 5 TD's and Tesoro 3. CDM scored through the air as expected. CDM "O" line was about even in size to Tesoro however looked smaller on the "D" line than Tesoro's "O" and "D" lines. Again somewhat expected as CDM usually is not one of the bigger physical teams being at the D4 level.

Tesoro played Edison to a 1 point game (loss) in which they led big, then missed multiple PAT's and finally in the end went for the two point conversion and failed. Edison 48-47 wins it. This was a good team to scrimmage as the Titans seem an even match to the top Sunset teams. CDM came out with a slight edge tonight.

ocfootball

Postby ocfootball » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 pm

And Tesoro beat LA in the last non league game......because LA was prepping to win league.....and won league,,,, good trade

my take from CDM/Tes-Soro scrimmage,,,,CDM is small on both sides of the ball other than TE and Humphreys...CDM cant run the ball(but can get the first on third and moderate with Humphries with a pivot route because he is a deep threat)....CDM QB struggled early in non 7v7 environment but settled later on....throw it up to Humphries..... RB was ok, never pushed ball vertically, just east-west, never popping a big run.....CDM abandoned run early and stuck with 7v7 game,,,

Tesoro cant throw ball beyond 15 yards..... but they can get down hill quick with RB #72(?) behind Bank on third and shorts and in the goal line area....surprised Tesoro manned up on Humphries alot,,,, Tes-Soro pretty successful, not that CB was locking him down,,, played just good enough....

All in all, it was pretty even, different strengths..... would be a tight ball game...special teams and turnovers

however the real highlight was the JV melee with no refs nor coach with a damn whistle.... there were more CDM JV fans in the stands than varsity fans(future is bright SK80?),,,what gives?

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:57 am

Tesoro is the perfect scrimmage team to start the season for a school like CDM whom stepping up the ranks now will face JSerra, San Clemente, Edison and Los Alamitos. There is no question as a football program CDM is facing obstacles and limitations in all these games or challenges. They don't recruit or play kids from a large geography and they pull from a student body half the size as their opponents. With one of the states best Athletic programs across the board, football has been and for the foreseeable future be a challenge for the school.

Tesoro being in the South Coast League was a good barometer as I think they have the edge against the Sunset. MV, SC, Capo, Tesoro and ET is as formidable a public grouping as there is on the gridiron. Tesoro we should be able to agree last season was on par or dead equal in talent and ability when they played both Edison and Los Alamitos. I see Tesoro which is that leagues third best team as good as the Sunsets best.

As for @OCF takeaways, yes CDM size is a perennial issue and nothing new to the program. It's rare this program walks onto any field and dwarfs its opponents. I thought the offense matched up well or as good as it gets however the defense was even smaller than I had anticipated. CDM success again will depend on its ability to outscore opponents not necessarily stop them. You will see Humphreys playing a lot of "D" during the season he is actually being recruited for his play on that side of the ball as well. This has been the history of the team, best players end up playing both sides there just is never enough numbers to create the depth to play at the top "team" level of OCHSF.

Garbers will be key, how he navigates, grows and leads this offense. Without General Booty now he obviously must stay healthy as the passing game is their strength and the run game will not bail them out. Remember this is an offense with only 3 returning starters, they are young and I have stated before 2019 will be their year.

The TD throw/catch to Humphreys was on a different level.

Special teams, my take is CDM does not look like they will have the kicking game the have had over the past few years.

The JV MELEE! I was not going to bring that up but since you did.... wow! So a Tesoro kid (I don't know their players on JV and CDM wore practice jerseys) is just sitting old school style on top of a CDM player wailing closed fist shots like a an MMA fighter and another CDM player sees this and comes running out of nowhere full speed and just flattens the dude, chaos ensues! Once the fireworks burned out the coaches had a midfield powwow. I hope all involved get sat down. The Tesoro kid was way out of line that has no place in the sport.

All in all, its a scrimmage, some good things probably more bad things to fix, thats high school football for most programs. A long way to go, I remember Chase Garbers Junior year he wasn't even the starter behind Peter Bush. A lot can change in the next two seasons.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am

Took the trip over to MD last night, I got there a little late because Rollo text me to bring snacks.
Turns out I did not need to worry if I bought enough since 8 players appeared to be missing from the scrimmage, glad it worked out. I digress sorry.

I thought for FV this was not the greatest idea, but I bet MD was desperate to find a team so I am sure Rollo hit up Nolan to scrimmage.

MD, QB was far more impressive than expected, I saw him as a frosh. He throws a nice ball. He showed some leadership by breaking up a little linemen lock up on scuffle. Mc Coy might be an NFL player, the RB runs very very hard. Despite being down 8 guys no shortage of studs. FV looked like they had not done any tackling drills this fall, their tackling was horrible, part of the reason is the MD kids are good and tough to practice for and other reasons were because they put their heads down, and never wrapped and rolled them like an alligator. I am sure FV will be working on that topic, to FV's credit they did give MD a look and I am sure MD players were happy to be going against someone else. MD did dominate so MD Fans don't get excited.

FV, skills, WR and QB played very nervous first part of the scrimmage. Both O and D fronts did not back down from MD. I thought the FV line play was their best highlight for FV.When FV went on O (1 versus 1) and the first two passes were dropped due to nerves. The kids did settle down to some degree and FV was able to make first downs on MD but never scored.
FV is bigger and stronger than last year, they don't look like the same team, even their WRs and RBs. I guess they found the weight room key. The D8 versus #1 team in the nation delta up front was not remotely close to as bad as I expected. FV did not run the ball much but when they did their RB ran hard and took it to a couple D1 kids,..next series MD defenders made sure the RB was not taking to them. FV QB played better as he shook off the nerves, Nolan had a good idea of rolling him out later in the scrimmage and I would bet he might be the most improved kid week to week. All in all FV is clearly better than last year. This scrimmage was a positive for FV.

MD got some work and FV saw what they need to fix....Zone Read, tackling, tackling, tackling, tackling, tackling, using hands to catch the ball, what is a cushion, etc..

On a technical side note

BTW MD fans, your DBs are great but the referees were being nice by only making a couple defensive holding calls. Clearly the DBs were taught to go "hands on", I wonder how crazy the rest of the Trinity league will go if your corners are continue to do so...should be fun to track....Good Luck

leftyRosenthal

Postby leftyRosenthal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Since those “8” will be out next week as well, the freshman they are starting at DB for now can hold their own. McCoy and Harper are studs, they are two of the most consistently hardworking and productive guys on offense. At WR they are giving a few younger guys a chance. Should be interesting next week against Amat. They probably will not be at full strength with the entire team until Vegas.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 am

Talked with a friend who was at the Capo Valley / San Juan Hills scrimmage and it seems capo scored at will ( 7 or 8 times) and SJH scored once and just could not get anything going consistently.

It was hard to tell if it was capo that was just much more ready to play or was it sjh may have a very long 10 week season ahead of them.

Capo could throw over the top at any point in time to score. Was it the QB and receivers were that much better or just no DBs that knew how to cover?

Capos QB looked polished always putting the ball where he needed to put it. Running game for capo looked good but he would not put the stamp of great to it at this point.

thefrog

Postby thefrog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm going to take a guess and believe SJH just looking toward bigger fish

Frith runs a great program, SJH gonna be in good shape this week

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Capo's skill kids are really top notch. Manning at QB has been a phenomenal athlete for 3 years now (3 cif finals in 3 different sports in just 2 years!) and has some great targets to throw to.

Return to “High School”