Los Angeles Times TOP 25 Pre-Season 2018

SK80

Los Angeles Times TOP 25 Pre-Season 2018

Postby SK80 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Well look whom is number #1 in the southland..... if I am MD I like this pick by the writers as at this point I think I would rather by the #2, gives my team focus and hunger!

St. John Bosco is No. 1 in The Times' preseason top 25 rankings

900.jpeg
Junior quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei leads No. 1 St. John Bosco. (Patrick T. Fallon / For The Times)

With 14 returning starters and more than 45 players back on varsity, St. John Bosco is ranked No. 1 in The Times’ preseason high school football rankings. The Braves open their new stadium on Friday night.

1. ST. JOHN BOSCO. It is size and strength up front that make the Braves the team to beat.

2. SANTA ANA MATER DEI. An exceptional secondary and strong skill position players, led by wide receiver Bru McCoy.

3. CORONA CENTENNIAL.
This is no joke — the Huskies will rely on defense.

4. ORANGE LUTHERAN. With quarterback Ryan Hilinski and wide receiver Kyle Ford and many others, beware.

5. UPLAND. The team to beat in Division II with all its athletes and experience.

6. MISSION VIEJO. Quarterback Joey Yellen is a perfect fit for new coach Chad Johnson.

7. JSERRA. Lots of transfers will get their shot to make an impact.

8. BISHOP AMAT. The Lancers are always good when they can run the ball effectively.

9. NARBONNE. By season end, the Gauchos will be one of the best teams in Southland.

10. GARDENA SERRA. Quarterback Doug Brumfield is ready to be turned loose.

11. OAKS CHRISTIAN. Running back Zach Charbonnet leads a veteran team.

12. CHAMINADE. They have a tough schedule, but the Eagles welcome the challenge.

13. MURRIETA VALLEY. The motto is in quarterback Hank Bachmeier we trust.

14. CORONA DEL MAR. Lots of talented juniors will handle the move to Sunset League.

15. LONG BEACH POLY. New coach, new strategy, new enthusiasm.

16. NORCO. Versatile Nick Lasher is back.

17. WESTLAKE. Gearing up to be a top team led by its skill-position players.

18. CALABASAS. Quarterback Jaden Casey and receivers Johnny Wilson and Mycah Pittman are outstanding.

19. ST. FRANCIS. Quarterback Darius Perrantes has lots of weapons to choose from.

20. SANTA MARGARITA. Sophomore quarterback Peter Costelli is the real deal.

21. CAJON. Quarterback Jayden Daniels and receiver Darren Jones are back to cause havoc.

22. VALENCIA. The team to beat in the Foothill League.

23. SIERRA CANYON. A young team with potential and lots of weapons.

24. LA HABRA. New stadium, same explosive offense.

25. LOYOLA. A strong kicking game and healthy quarterback will make the Cubs successful.

Other teams to watch: Cathedral, San Fernando, Edison, Servite, Arcadia, Tesoro, San Clemente, Rancho Cucamonga, Lawndale, Vista Murrieta.

Bick

Re: Los Angeles Times TOP 25 Pre-Season 2018

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 pm

My God...Looks like Sondheimer spent waaaayyyy too much time watching passing league tournaments.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm

BA and Poly too high. Narbonne too low.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm

No disrespect to CDM as they didn't rank themselves, but I don't think they'd beat anyone below them, including the teams to watch, with the exception of Arcadia.

St Francis loses to every team ranked below them as well.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I am not far off your statement but there are a few over ranked below CDM as well that they could play and compete with.... I will say what I have been reporting all summer..., the so called "experts" who have been watching summer play and talking to scouts etc are all over CDM as if they are a D1 team all of a sudden. In one way accolades to be in the conversation and really that is how good they have looked this summer. They have literally been one of the best 7v7 teams all summer as well as some players showing up all the big boys at major camps, i.e. USC and UCLA.

That said CDM is a D4 team, again bravo for even being on this list..... =D>

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:37 pm

“They have literally been one of the best 7v7 teams all summer....“ Hmmm. What tournaments did CdM play in let alone win? MD, Bosco, Mission, OLu, La Habra, Valencia, OC, Calabasas and Chaminade all played in and did well in most of the big tournaments. Didn’t see CdM in any of them. It’s actually disappointing because I’m sure they would have done well.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Bick wrote:No disrespect to CDM as they didn't rank themselves, but I don't think they'd beat anyone below them, including the teams to watch, with the exception of Arcadia.

St Francis loses to every team ranked below them as well.

Man Bick I respect your opinion but I just don’t see how you’d rate CdM that low. They’d beat Cathedral, Arcadia, St. Francis, Westlake, Sierra Canyon, Vista Murrieta (I’m not sold on them) and likely Edison. There are others on there I’d give them a good chance to beat as well. Some I’d suspect they could beat (like San Fernando, just don’t know much about them other than they’re in the weak City Section).

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 am

IMO, one of the great things about this year is that there just seems to be far more ranked teams playing other ranked that are close to them in the rankings then any other in the past years. There are just so many good if not great games to watch this year each week.

The shaking out of who is in what place in the rankings will be a lot of fun to watch and debate with so many teams playing each other in the preseason.

I also think this top 25 list was just throwing darts at names after you get past the very top which could have a few of those teams just trading places but still being at the top. So many of these teams are just ranked way to high or some far to low to make this list look like some REAL analysis went into it.

I guess it is good though to give some of these teams some love and print before the games have started and the REAL results start bringing some of the readership back to earth so to speak

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 am

just one set of games out of the many to watch and unfold, is the Upland- La Habra sets (these two teams could face each other in the playoffs also) , They play each other this week, then Upland takes a week off and LH plays REV, with Upland playing REV the next week, LH plays Mission Viejo next with Upland again following LH and playing MV 2 weeks later.

There is the grouping of MV SM and Olu, all close in the rankings and MV plays both of them in the preseason. ( these teams could very well play again in the playoffs)

OLu playing Corona Centennial in their 2nd game, then Vista Murrieta, and two weeks later Mission Viejo, ( all playoff caliber opponents to start the year off) and then starting league play the next week with SM.

JSerra will win most likely their first games with CDM, Calabasas ( giving those two teams a good look at what it is to play D1 football) and then Bishop Amat.

BA starting the year with MD, then an up and coming Paramount, then JSerra, Rancho Cucamonga, Cathedral, then league opener with Chaminade.

Oaks Christian starts with Chaminade, Edison, Alemany and Vista Murrieta with none of these games are for sure wins.

Edison playing Tesoro, Oaks Christian, San Clemente before the much anticipated first game in league with CDM

CDM starting with JSerra, Palos Verdes, ET, Lakewood and then SC before Edison.

Norco Playing Servite, RC, Vista Murrieta, then REV before league starts.

Los Al starting the year with Vista Murrieta and then LB Poly,

Just so many good to great games this year.

All this and I could just go on without even talking about the great games that are with the other Trinity teams.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am

BBB wrote:Source of the post Man Bick I respect your opinion but I just don’t see how you’d rate CdM that low. They’d beat Cathedral, Arcadia, St. Francis, Westlake, Sierra Canyon, Vista Murrieta (I’m not sold on them) and likely Edison. There are others on there I’d give them a good chance to beat as well. Some I’d suspect they could beat (like San Fernando, just don’t know much about them other than they’re in the weak City Section).

Can't tell if you're joking, but I believe last year's team will prove to be stronger than this year's team based on what I've read here and elsewhere. This year's team seems to be one dimensional passing with a pocket QB, and a suspect defense. Great for 7v7, but not real football. I think those other teams are all pretty physical up front and have a fairly balanced attack. At the higher end of teams, they've all got at least one guy who can get after the QB pretty well. If you've got a weaker line and no real running game, the QB will get abused. It won't matter if Antonio Brown is out there running routes if the QB has no time. That's where I'm coming from on this.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:27 am

SK80 wrote:Source of the post In one way accolades to be in the conversation and really that is how good they have looked this summer. They have literally been one of the best 7v7 teams all summer as well as some players showing up all the big boys at major camps, i.e. USC and UCLA.

That said CDM is a D4 team, again bravo for even being on this list

Clearly you've got a couple guys we'll be watching on Saturdays, but I saw the same thing at HB a few years ago as well with Jimmons and another beast whose name escapes me. I think they both were USC commits, but it didn't stop HB from finishing 4th or 5th in the Sunset.

Not saying CDM won't win league - they very well could. But if they truly are one dimensional, and can't run or stop the run, I'm not seeing it.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

Bick you have all valid points and an observation that could play out, like I stated it is going to be hard at this point to judge exactly where this CDM team is as they have these big guys getting a lot of attention yet the rest of the team is mostly JR's just coming into their own, that is if they actually do or at least to level that is Sunset competitive. It's a no brainer that a couple guys can not carry the entire team if you want to be considered one of the best public schools in OCHSF. Right now a lot of the prognosticators have them doing so but as you and others have said here, "Not so fast". And even though I am excited about the big guns we have I have also kept pretty true to the notion it is "CDM the Team" that is stepping up and that it will be a challenge.

What I see after the JSerra game will be more indicative of where the Sea Kings are as a "team". I see a big learning curve for them with this stepped up schedule and all the big contests on the road.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 am

IMHO, Rankings mean nothing until about 1/2 way through the season for high school and college. Then the sleepers and frauds are exposed. ;-)

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am

You know SK80, I must really have no clue about this stuff. Cal-Hi has CDM ranked #24 in the state...ahead of a lot of really good D1 teams.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

Hey @Bick..., I have been screaming for years that CDM never gets the rankings they serve because every year in PCL they win by 70 and slide down the ranks every week. Now they have a Sunset schedule and all the numbers change... so it is really meaningless as there are just too many schools to judge.

I am going to say that they have 3 or 4 losses this year and if they hold that to 1 or 2 maybe they deserved that rankings. What I have been seeing if anyone else actually has is a summer league squad turning heads and some big offensive players getting national spot light. I think most of these ranking are using that as if the entire team is at that level. No disrespect to those players at CDM that have yet to be able to prove themselves but they will be hard pressed to to stay in the state Top 25 and the latest #14 in the LA Times poll.

Again nobody would like to be proven wrong more than I :wink:

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

I think it's cool you're getting the recognition...seriously. I root for all Sunset teams pre-season, and in the playoffs.

Beat JSerra!

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 am

The preseason rankings have to make some assumptions on this years teams based on last year or years before. As I had pointed out on another thread that while Servite who just s last year was not thought to have a very good team ( based on Trinity league standards) still beat playoff bound Norco 35-21, Roosevelt 52-24, Villa Park 47-14. Also D4 Roosy played D2 Norco the week before the playoffs in league and lost 83-42.

Even though all those teams fans that played Servite, would have said they should be ranked higher then Servite at the end of the year ( if they had not played Servite) because how can you have a 9-1 or 8-2 (or if they had not played a Servite type team that is 10-0) team behind a team like Servite that could be 5-5 or 4-6 based on who they played a much tougher higher level schedule over all. Some fans just dont get it until they have to play and beat some of these upper division teams.

We hear it every year that lower level teams think because they are beating teams at their level that will translate to wins over higher level teams that may not have such a good win/loss record. Even though those losses are against higher level of competition then they will play.

Another example is Downey that lost to SM 56-0 but is still a very good team at their level of play.

I think it makes it hard to know which teams really can "play up" in competitive level ( like the Norco's and La Habra's who will be in the game and can win against some Div 1 opponents but still cant get over the Trinity league hill) and those teams who are great at their own lower level of play but not ready yet to take on the next level up consistently.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 am

SK, The other part of now playing in the Sunset is that there is no real "break" in having to be prepared each week in league like there was in the PCL. Yes we all feel that CDM is ready to play in the Sunset but besides having to show themselves against Edison and Los Al, they have to show up and be ready to play their "A" game against FV, HB, and NH or those games can slip away easily.

It is just like we talk about having to play the Trinity gauntlet each week in your own leagues level. There is no real break and you just cant take a week off or the upset is coming. This year it will be for the CDM team to have to be physically ready to play all the games in league because this is not the PCL.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I think it's interesting to compare Sondheimer's "passing league" rankings to Calpreps preseason rankings (in red below). Some of the discrepancies are huge, topped by Eric putting Arcadia at #30 and Calpreps having them at #150.

1. ST. JOHN BOSCO. It is size and strength up front that make the Braves the team to beat. 1

2. SANTA ANA MATER DEI. An exceptional secondary and strong skill position players, led by wide receiver Bru McCoy. 2

3. CORONA CENTENNIAL. This is no joke — the Huskies will rely on defense. 6

4. ORANGE LUTHERAN. With quarterback Ryan Hilinski and wide receiver Kyle Ford and many others, beware. 3

5. UPLAND. The team to beat in Division II with all its athletes and experience. 7

6. MISSION VIEJO. Quarterback Joey Yellen is a perfect fit for new coach Chad Johnson. 5

7. JSERRA. Lots of transfers will get their shot to make an impact. 12

8. BISHOP AMAT. The Lancers are always good when they can run the ball effectively. 15

9. NARBONNE. By season end, the Gauchos will be one of the best teams in Southland. 6

10. GARDENA SERRA. Quarterback Doug Brumfield is ready to be turned loose. 11

11. OAKS CHRISTIAN. Running back Zach Charbonnet leads a veteran team. 4

12. CHAMINADE. They have a tough schedule, but the Eagles welcome the challenge. 9

13. MURRIETA VALLEY. The motto is in quarterback Hank Bachmeier we trust. 16

14. CORONA DEL MAR. Lots of talented juniors will handle the move to Sunset League. 37

15. LONG BEACH POLY. New coach, new strategy, new enthusiasm. 23

16. NORCO. Versatile Nick Lasher is back. 20

17. WESTLAKE. Gearing up to be a top team led by its skill-position players. 43

18. CALABASAS. Quarterback Jaden Casey and receivers Johnny Wilson and Mycah Pittman are outstanding. 10

19. ST. FRANCIS. Quarterback Darius Perrantes has lots of weapons to choose from. 33

20. SANTA MARGARITA. Sophomore quarterback Peter Costelli is the real deal. 14

21. CAJON. Quarterback Jayden Daniels and receiver Darren Jones are back to cause havoc. 8

22. VALENCIA. The team to beat in the Foothill League. 18

23. SIERRA CANYON. A young team with potential and lots of weapons. 28

24. LA HABRA. New stadium, same explosive offense. 39

25. LOYOLA. A strong kicking game and healthy quarterback will make the Cubs successful. 46

Other teams to watch: Cathedral 31, San Fernando 65, Edison 57, Servite 13, Arcadia 150, Tesoro 54, San Clemente 17, Rancho Cucamonga 21, Lawndale 36, Vista Murrieta 26.

BBB

Postby BBB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35 am

If we’re being fair about this, does Cal Preps capture big swings (good or bad) in year over year talent levels?

Using Servite as an example, last year’s team was weak by Trinity standards but, as 2002tony points out repeatedly, they really weren’t as bad as some might think.

However, given the mass exodus of all of their top players and the unusually low level of talent in the past two freshman classes, this might be one of the weakest Servite teams in a really, really long time. It doesn’t appear Cal Preps takes that into consideration when they rank Servite 13th. Now I might be wrong, but I’ve yet to see a logical post that lays out specifics to the contrary. And certainly this is all mindless speculation since we’re about to see for ourselves once they start playing the games.

So any preseason rankings is silly from an accuracy perspective once you get past the top two D1 teams. But they’re sure fun to debate when you’re looking for ANY distraction to deal with badly wanting Friday to be here already!

Return to “High School”