Aliso Niguel - Racist?

SuperMonster

Aliso Niguel - Racist?

Postby SuperMonster » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm

I saw an interesting tweet that led me to this FB post by Santa Ana's principal:

I don't know if the link will work but basically, it was "Red, White, and Blue Night" at the game and allegedly there were signs at the student section saying things like "We love white" and "build the wall." Also chanting "USA, USA" after a couple of Aliso Niguel touchdowns. Anyone at the game see this stuff?

SK80

Re: Aliso Niguel - Racist?

Postby SK80 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Who is Jeff Bishop?

SuperMonster

Postby SuperMonster » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm

He's the principal of Santa Ana High School

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 pm

So did they forfeit or not? MaxPreps is still saying both.

Santa Ana's taken racist grief for the last 30 years. I'm surprised it's still happening. But then again I'm not.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 am

Pump the brakes. In an OC Register article, the principal admitted he didn’t see any signs himself. In his Facebook post, he also claimed the students were racist for wearing red, white and blue with USA signs. Huh, come again there guy? That’s now racist in this country? This kind of absurd accusation about patriotism being racist calls his credibility into question.

In the comments what appears to be his overly emotional and highly assumptive FB post, a few Aliso parents said they didn’t see anything racist. What the Aliso principal took down we’re two signs - one that said “Aliso will Trump Santa Ana” and another that said something about Obama. That’s political, not racist. And it was on both sides.

So far no one has seen the signs first hand. One lady in the Facebook posts claims she saw pictures her son took that showed racist signs and that she’d post them after she returned from work. She didn’t do so. Many then asked her to, including Steve Fryer so he could include them in his story, but she still never did.

What seems to be true as it was confirmed by a few different people first hand in the posts, is that a few Aliso kids were making derogatory comments as Santa Ana’s players left the field. If true, that is unacceptable and those kids should be held accountable.

I’m amazed how so many people make knee jerk assumptions without any proof or getting the actual facts straight. Read those Facebook comments. Sad example of how our society has digressed with this group warfare mentality.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 am

John Q. Public wrote:So did they forfeit or not? MaxPreps is still saying both.

Santa Ana's taken racist grief for the last 30 years. I'm surprised it's still happening. But then again I'm not.

Forfeit a game for a student who allegedly put up a “Build the Wall” sign?

If the USA chant was truly in reference to Santa Ana, which is wrong, would that warrant a forfeit?

Aliso has a diverse team and a diverse coaching staff. Is it their fault a few kids may have went too far?

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am

There were two reasons for the increased show of Patriotism this week at high school football games across the country. The first was the upcoming anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. At the game I attended the principal lead an opening prayer remembering the victims of 9/11 attacks and victims’ families. The second reason was the release of the anti military and anti law enforcement ad from Nike.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:48 am

BBB wrote:Source of the post I’m amazed how so many people make knee jerk assumptions without any proof or getting the actual facts straight. Read those Facebook comments. Sad example of how our society has digressed with this group warfare mentality.

Are you suggesting there wasn't any racism, or are you suggesting the amount of racism that occurred is being exaggerated?

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 am

BuckW wrote:Source of the postanti military and anti law enforcement ad from Nike.

GTFO of here with that BS.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:56 am

Buck saw a different version of the ad than the rest of us. Not that that has anything to do with High School Sports.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:58 am

joefutbol wrote:Are you suggesting there wasn't any racism, or are you suggesting the amount of racism that occurred is being exaggerated?

I’m saying there are serious accusations of racism being made based on inconsistent, third hand accounts that haven’t yet been confirmed per the article, Facebook post and the corresponding comments.

Some people went so far as to call Aliso students racist for wearing red, white and blue. That’s absurd. It highlights the overly sensitive, rush to judgment mentality of our society these days.

The only exception is apparently some Aliso kid(s) who said it sucks to be Mexican as the players exited the field.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:05 am

John Q. Public wrote:Buck saw a different version of the ad than the rest of us. Not that that has anything to do with High School Sports.

In your version, did Kaepernick give up his wealth and fame? I mean it did say “sacrifice everything,” right? That couldn’t mean he sacrificed only his opportunity to add to his already immense wealth, increased status and visibility, could it? Very different meaning of “sacrifice EVERYTHING” LIKE YOUR LEGS, for instance. Massive juxtaposition between Kapernick and the others in the add. Simply a publicity stunt by Nike.

thefrog

Postby thefrog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:05 am

It's a sad day when Red, White, and Blue is considered racist...

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 am

BBB wrote:Source of the post I’m saying there are serious accusations of racism being made based on inconsistent, third hand accounts that haven’t yet been confirmed per the article, Facebook post and the corresponding comments.

I agree. But it doesn't look good.

BBB wrote:Source of the post Some people went so far as to call Aliso students racist for wearing red, white and blue. That’s absurd. It highlights the overly sensitive, rush to judgment mentality of our society these days.

I read a lot of facebook posts and comments on the article and didn't see that anywhere.

BBB wrote:Source of the post The only exception is apparently some Aliso kid(s) who said it sucks to be Mexican as the players exited the field.

I guess that depends on intent. Were they saying it "sucks to be Mexican because Mexicans suck," or it "sucks to be Mexican because of the racism you just encountered"?

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 am

thefrog wrote:Source of the post It's a sad day when Red, White, and Blue is considered racist...

The colors aren't racist, it's the people using those colors to cloak their racism as patriotism who are racist.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 am

I'll take the Principal's word over other second hand accounts. I have a friend who taught and coached at Santa Ana for years, and like another poster said, this crap has been going on for a long time.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am

The last two posts were moved to the thread about that subject.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24700&p=583434#p583464

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:17 pm

I find it ironic that Santa Ana High Schools football uniforms are red, white, and blue.
Santa Ana's colors have always been Red and White and some years back they added
blue. I know Jeff Bishop and don't think he was over reacting but as principal of Santa Ana
High he certainly would stand up in being a positive role model and not wanting to see
his students hurt by "racists" slurs.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Do other schools get that? This is California, ferchrissakes! Santa Ana's hardly the only heavily Hispanic school but they seem to draw more racist taunts than any of the rest.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:21 pm

joefutbol wrote:Source of the post
The colors aren't racist, it's the people using those colors to cloak their racism as patriotism who are racist.

OMG. Omar has finally gotten to you, so that you see racism everywhere. ](*,) But I'll concede that one of the reported chants was uncool.

This game theme was "Red White and Blue night." Just like Servite's theme was "USA theme."
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Return to “High School”