Mission Viejo at Upland 9.14

Daforno

Re: Mission Viejo at Upland 9.14

Postby Daforno » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 am

Didn't Barnes and Forrest play at one time for MD?
Anybody know why they left?
Was it playing time?
Just curious

Upland really is BAD!!!

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 am

Barnes did play for MD last year. It was most likely for playing time but can’t say since I don’t know the kid. He is one of a number of players that left MD and are currently playing key roles on other teams.

Regarding the game last night, MV looked very good. Next week against OLu will be a big game.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 am

Daforno wrote:Upland really is BAD!!!
isnt funny how a really good team can make another good team not look so good.
With each team playing at mid season form you have Upland coming into the game with a lot of hype to just how good they are being ranked no. 1 in Div 2, 35th nationally to MV at 59, 10th in the state to MV at 11, 8th in the SS to MV at 9th.
Not sure just how “bad” upland is but MV didn’t look so bad at all. Lol

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:15 am

Akili Arnold is an amazing player. I’ve seen two MV games this year and he has been outstanding in both. He runs back punts for TDs, catches TD passes and plays great defense at safety. He must be the front runner for player of the year in OC.

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

Best player on the field last night was Justin Flowe and it’s not even close.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 am

Debatable IMHO, points and pics wise...Arnold’s team won and it wasn’t even close...Flowe is a beast straight up but AA scores more and does more damage with big plays, pics. 6 TD and 320+- yrds against Olu qtr final last year...

#Rematch

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am

OutOfState wrote:Best player on the field last night was Justin Flowe and it’s not even close.

Flowe was the best college prospect on the field. Arnold is the most productive and valuable player I've ever seen at MV. If there is a more productive HS player in So. CA I haven't seen him. He scores on pass receptions interception returns and punt returns plays all downs in both side of the ball. If they played him at RB he could improve the running attach like he had to last year. It was also a coming out party for sophs Mavin and #25 at RB.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am

I thought Justin Flowe played great early but disappeared when his team fell behind. I like to see players who’s motor keeps running no matter the score. I’m not a Mission Viejo fan by any means but Arnold is the best high school player I’ve seen all year.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am

Bick

He is just as impressive every game. Last night was just another amazing game for him. Amazing he only has 2 offers BC and Utah Statel I think .

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:07 pm

OutofState, I will agree with the earlier two post that Justin may be the best college prospect but he was not the best player on the field last night and here is just a few reasons IMO that also matter.

if Justin would have left me with the feeling he was the best player I would have expected him
A) to have multiple sacks to disrupt the passing game and at this moment I cant remember if Yellen was sacked once. Yellen had time to throw all night and he had been sacked in all games except the liberty game. SO I had expected to see more from all those blitzing linebackers and their sacks that I have heard so much about leading up to this game. That said Justin had no impact here.
B ) I would have wanted to see the MV ground game NOT to have their best running game of the year so far and how Justin would have led the Upland defense in shutting down MV running game. ( like some other defenses have done) That didnt happen either.

None of those things happen. Justin is a D1 stud, but he left no real impact on this game.

On the other hand with Arnold, He was a factor in the pass game catching passes and breaking tackles to get into the end zone. (as noted he had two of)
He did return a punt for a TD that he made happen as MV did not set up for a punt return they had lined up and went for the punt block, Arnold slipped what would have been a crushing hit to start his return, and then picked his way through the field the rest of the way slipping past other tackles and breaking through another tackle to make it into end zone.

On defense the receivers he was maned up on never caught a pass and he almost had another interception. He also assisted on making crucial tackles to keep the Upland running attack from making a first downs on those 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 plays.

One thing to note: Mission Viejo had no personal fouls last night. The smack talk in the opposing teams player's face that had been flagged so many times in previous games had stopped also.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Arnold was outstanding last night against UPLAND!!!

I'll be very interested in seeing him against CC/BOSCO/MD in that order

UPLAND/Trabuco Hills and Capo Valley don't count!

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:10 pm

daforno, thank you for your 2 cents worth, but that is all it is worth in this thread. No it was not Trabuco hills or Capo ( who is looking like a good lower Div team), and as you pointed out it is not against CC, Bosco, or MD in that order, but Upland at the time was the top rated Div 2 team the SS and the State and is ranked 35 in the nation, and most on here thought they should have been moved to D1 this year. So it is not like Upland is the equivalent of a Trabuco Hills team. (nor was Liberty, SM, La Habra, or Villa Park)

We have seen lots of players that could play on a MD Bosco or CC team that play for other teams. To say that a player of that caliber that happens to play on a different team and has a great game, does in no way diminish his effort or his accomplishment just because it was not against the said top 3.

So in this thread at least - IMO - it is your post - that does not count.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Stop being so sensitive, "if" MV gets to the quarters, he will get the chance to show his stuff against the big boys and "if" he is all that then I'll eat my words, but let's NOT ANOIT the kid just yet!

MV hasn't played anyone yet

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I'd be willing to bet that Akili Arnold could play and star on any of The Big Three teams. If you just change The Big Three to The Big Four, he already is.

We shouldn't make the common mistake of discounting a player's talent because of the team he plays for or the opposition he faces. If Tom Brady played in Div. 13, he'd still be Tom Brady.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

:notworthy: :cheers: :cool: :mex:

Daforno...I need some jello molds for the Holidays...

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 am

Other than the point of your head, does your post have a point???

Red

Postby Red » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 am

We shall see in the playoffs. Watched most of the game and watching Barnes jump around after making a tackle gave am a chuckle.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:55 am

We will really know more this Friday after the Olu game...Right now JS, Olu, MV are top 3 after the top 3...make sense?

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 pm

The QB from Upland is at the bottom of the totem pole compared to Yellen at MV.
That was the BIG difference between the two teams and Arnold was the best player
on the field on Friday night.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Playthegame wrote:We will really know more this Friday after the Olu game...Right now JS, Olu, MV are top 3 after the top 3...make sense?

I thought we were going to know a lot more after Upland on the road.. Whos defense is more likely to stop the others offense? Who is more likely to be able to run the ball? Who is more likely to win the toyrnover battle especially if OLU is going to throw the ball 30 or 40 times? Who has a better defense? Special teams? I think anyone honestly answering those questions can come to a pretty easy conclusion. Looks like MV has figures out its run game and we know the MV ran for 300 plus yards and that was with a bad passing night from Yellen. He will be much better this time

Return to “High School”