Fullerton JC 85- Santa Ana JC 0

broman

Fullerton JC 85- Santa Ana JC 0

Postby broman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Good ole' days OC JC's featured players from local high schools that people actually followed in the "local" newspaper. Fullerton has a roster of full kids from Texas, Alabama, and Louisiana. Does anybody even care anymore?

broman

Re: Fullerton JC 85- Santa Ana JC 0

Postby broman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Maybe an overreaction, Golden West and Riverside played Fullerton tough, but strong out of state presence on all three teams.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 am

It's college football GEEZ

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Just like HS's, JC football is no longer representative of the community at-large. GW and OCC used to share the Sunset, GG and other local leagues/communities. And the other OC JC's the same. Always a bit of cross-over but pretty consistent. All had kids from states that had no JC football, FL, TX, Hawaii, Mass., and others. Now I look at rosters and the local kids are in the minority and there is no consistency of community or "home-grown" players. And I would venture a guess that there is equally much transience between year one and two... infinitely more than 20 years ago when almost all kids stayed put for 2 years.
I had the privilege of playing in the last ever "Turkey Bowl" that saw GW play OCC every Thanksgiving Day for many years. It was a great tradition with great crowds no matter the records of the teams. It was a family and community event the likes of which will never be seen again in OC JC Football. Too bad.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Shackelford vs. Tucker?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Yep... Saw Coach Shack the other day... still works out on campus at crack of dawn. One of a kind and a big reason I started coaching. He taught me more about life than football. The way it's suppose to be.
Don't get him started on the state of HS and JC football... He doesn't mince words.
His eldest is AD at Irvine Valley, doing great things with their STUDENT ATHLETES.
JC athletics are such a, now, hidden gem. Tons of talent in all sports.
Kids now (at least FB players) all want to go a 4 year right out of HS and JC is a dirty word. Crazy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't play at OCC or GWC, you ain't a scholarship athlete, and still may not be if you do. Yet many who think they are, can't sniff a snap at the local JC. Local JC football and the talent is on par with, or exceed, many D2 programs. They're loaded with non-qualifier legit D1 athletes and bounce-back legit D1,1AA athletes.
Exponentially more opportunities to get an athletic scholarship out of JC than HS as well. But parents keep forking out money to send their kid across country to a school they paid a recruiting service to lead them to... and they're back in a semester headed to... their local JC.
End of the JC diatribe.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

broman

Postby broman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Somebody decided to push back....

Fullerton College has suspended football coach Tim Byrnes, who has led the team to back-to-back state and national championships, while the community college investigates two potential violations in the Hornets football program.

According to a Fullerton College press release the school self-reported two potential violations related to CCCAA constitution by-law 2.11 that covers “subsidizing, inducements and special privileges” of student-athletes
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/25/f ... iolations/

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:08 am

My money is on By Law 2.11.2(C)--arranging, soliciting, or securing housing for athletes. Just a guess, but with all those out of area athletes that seems the most likely.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

ColSixPack

Postby ColSixPack » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:54 am

Supposedly the FBI is investigating. IF that is true, then I would think that it is a financial aid issue. Fullerton had an assistant coach a number of years ago that had gotten into trouble over at Riverside for falsifying transcript, and probably financial aid. Might be tied to him, or maybe Fullerton is where he learned the practice....who knows, but the same place I heard this from was the same place I heard about the OCC thing a month before it was announced.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 am

Was just reading about Caleb Johnson LB at Fullerton a Vista M. kid whom is now being recruited by the Longhorns and Razorbacks after a de-commit from Iowa State. No doubt these big NCAA D1 schools look to JUCO's to fill in roster holes.

Looking at Fullertons roster a lot of La Habra players listed and a few Los Als as well.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am

Ya, posters beat me to it when I read the article about it - I'm thinking this is why FullertonJC
has been so good over the past many years, they bring in a lot of out of state players, probably
by greasing the wheel a bit for the players coming in, in state and out of state.

I noticed the Saddleback JC FB program is down this year (usually highly state/national ranked) when
their basketball team took a hit recently regarding the same situation as Fullerton JC, maybe?

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Hmm, looks like the Fullerton college football program got caught and has to forfeit eight games so
far this season, now we know why the program has been so good all these years, wonder
if they will have to forfeit all the national and state championships they have won over
the previous years? The HC was placed on administrative leave months ago, whatever
happen to him, anyone?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm

I believe they had to forfeit last year's league title. I don't know who finished 2nd last year.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

ColSixPack

Postby ColSixPack » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

Prof, Saddleback was second. Played them tough in the regular season, but lost in a game in which one of the Fullerton kids broke his ankle. I saw that foot laying 180 degrees from where it should've been pointing.....just nasty. Saddleback drew Fullerton first round of the playoffs. It was another tough game, but a loss again.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:42 am

Ouch. Theismann revisited. :shock:

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 pm

IMO. End sports at JC. Use the money to educate local kids and old people who want to take some classes.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Return to “College”