‘I Am a Tariff Man’ - WSJ Editorial

Wabash

Re: ‘I Am a Tariff Man’ - WSJ Editorial

Postby Wabash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Couldn't tell you if any of my friends shorted their stocks.

Why would I talk about something that boring?

Love Trading Places.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm

It's the difference between being accountable for a position you're taking, and just running your mouth without consequence.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Not really. I believe Trump's fiscal policy is causing the market retreating. That doesn't mean I (or anyone I know) am obligated to change anything related to our portfolios.
Last edited by Wabash on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm

So the Fed raised rates, as expected, and the market tanked again. Could it be that Powell's pushing back against the tariffs? I don't think they would have done it in a down market under normal circumstances.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Could it be that Powell's pushing back against the tariffs? I don't think they would have done it in a down market under normal circumstances.

I'm starting to agree with some of you that Trump can't seem to pick good people. Raising the rates when the market is dropping makes no sense.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Trump can't seem to pick good people.

What was your first clue?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post I'm starting to agree with some of you that Trump can't seem to pick good people. Raising the rates when the market is dropping makes no sense.

The rates were artificially kept low for a real long time - like 10 years - in response to the 2008 financial crisis. I think they need to get back to a more normalized state, but really can't speak with any authority on this.

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm

As for Trump's cabinet turnover, it's not all that surprising given he wasn't qualified to begin with about how the gov't works. Not really sure what the real impact is.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Raising rates back to normal has been the plan since Bernanke was in charge. Except, ordinarily, they would have postponed this one because of overall market conditions - and talk of recession. One thing can boost most all of the markets and that's to stop the tariff nonsense. I can't help but wonder if Powell is trying to call Donald's bluff on that.

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Bick wrote:Source of the post Market historically retreats about 50% of the run-up. I've been in short term treasuries / CD's for about a year now.

Start doing your homework to go long at around 22,000. Lot's of high quality companies will be on sale.

Wabash wrote:Source of the post Even better when someone claiming expertise doesn't see it for the reality that it is.

Does this conversation sound familiar to you?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Not really. I stated my reasoning for not being in equities. Lack of control is the biggest one. After watching CEO's get rewarded AFTER the companies failed is all the reason I need to stay out of the market completely.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 am

You were making claims about what was causing the market to move one way or another. I said BS - you don't have the first idea what the reason is.

Wabash wrote:Source of the post I think tariffs are only part of why the market is down.

The real problem is Trump and the tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. They are now almost exactly a year old.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:04 am

I have a lot of company who agrees with me. And I have history.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 am

I missed this, too. Seems Tariff Man has no clue how tariffs work.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue May 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm sure it is only a coincidence that the retaliatory tariffs from China and the EU are targeted to affect those areas that voted for Trump.

#winning
Attachments
20190427_GDC411_0.png

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri May 10, 2019 7:10 am

Donald repeated four times this morning that *China* is the one paying his tariffs and that they bring money into the United States. The guy has no clue how tariffs work or who pays them.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat May 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Is this really the message they want to put out?

costing consumers.jpg

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 pm

CNBC is reporting that Trump's tariffs are not only a defacto tax. But the largest tax increase in decades.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu May 16, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: troll removed

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:12 pm

The stable genius' trade policy in one short rule violation.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

Fake president imposes fake tariffs on Mexico then retracts fake tariffs to boast of solving a fake problem he created!

Return to “The Economy”