Uncertainty anyone?

Vilepagan

Re: Uncertainty anyone?

Postby Vilepagan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 am

Bick wrote:Source of the post Please don't tell me you believe this crap like Wabash does.

Bick, if you wish to make an argument make one, but merely calling a cited article "crap" isn't making an argument.

To answer your rude question, I cited the article to show the volatility of the market, and the fall in consumer confidence in December, both facts which seem not to be in dispute, so yeah, I believe this "crap".

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 am

Apologies. Decades of listening to financial pundits each and every day cite some "market sentiment" as the reason for movement in the stock market on any given day has led me to conclude it's complete BS. Real money managers concur with me, and vice versa.

Hate to see people buy into it.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 am

If Trump were concerned about the market he should have picked someone other than Powell.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm

MAGAnomics rolls on. I'm sure the hyenas will soon rush in to tell us how this is actually a sign of Trump's idiocy and his coming implosion. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Stocks surge after blowout jobs report, Powell’s comments
Stocks surged following a report that the U.S. economy added far more jobs than expected in December and comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell suggesting the central bank would be flexible about future monetary policy moves.

The S&P 500 (^GSPC) rose 3.43%, or 84.05 points, as of market close, led by advances in technology stocks. Gains in tech shares also contributed to steep advances for the Nasdaq (^IXIC), which climbed 4.26%, or 275.35 points. The industrials-heavy Dow (^DJI) climbed 3.28%, or 746.81 points, on signals of potential progress toward a trade deal between the U.S. and China.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday morning that the U.S. economy added 312,000 jobs in December, far exceeding expectations of 184,000. Average hourly earnings also rose, increasing 0.4% over last month and 3.2% over last year. The unemployment rate ticked up to 3.9% in December from 3.7% in November, which was due to an increase in labor force participation.

Mark Hamrick, Bankrate.com senior economic analyst, said the U.S. labor market was in a “hiring heat wave” in December.

“There’s a lot to choose from regarding positive developments amid all of the uncertainty, volatility and worries elsewhere in the economy and the broader environment,” he said of the report.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stocks-r ... 41900.html

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Dems were getting blamed after the market declined starting in November. Yet they are not getting blamed for the last two days.

As Omar pointed out on another thread. Four more days like today and we will be back to where we were three months ago.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

As others have pointed out, the daily Stock Market fluctuations don't give us the best sense of economic health. The jobs report is the big news.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Which I could say is the result of Dems winning big in November.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post the daily Stock Market fluctuations don't give us the best sense of economic health

...but fluctuating monthly jobs reports do?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:48 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post "There’s a lot to choose from regarding positive developments amid all of the uncertainty, volatility and worries elsewhere in the economy and the broader environment,” he said of the report.

Well put.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 am

Wabash wrote:Which I could say is the result of Dems winning big in November.

Yes, Wabash, that really makes sense. The same party that loves to pile more business regulations on top of more business regulations just won control of the House, and that's why employers hired 312,000 people in December.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am

I would agree. That is why they were hired.

Those unemployment numbers are about to take a hit considering the 800,000 federal employees that are not being paid during this bogus shutdown.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:16 am

...If it goes longer than 20 working days.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Holy smoke, my statement came in yesterday! I wondered if it factored in the 750 points this past Friday?
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Any thoughts about the 5000 point loss from October to December?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Return to “The Economy”