Tonight's Speech

Vilepagan

Tonight's Speech

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 am

President trump is supposed to give a speech tonight, although there's no word as to whether the major broadcast networks will carry it, it should be interesting nonetheless.

Trump will be trying to sell his idea for a wall, but how will he do that? He'll have to drum up a crisis on the border where one doesn't exist, and convince people to pay billions to stop it.

It seems likely this will be a prepared speech, and not one of his off-the-cuff word salads, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Re: Tonight's Speech

Postby Wabash » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 am

Yet another reason to be happy about cutting the cable.

Best decision I've made as it relates to TV.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

I wonder what the ratings will be. Personally, I'll wait and read about it.

Interesting that he's doing an "address to the people" on this. And I wonder if the Democrats will get equal time. Maybe a good reason for the networks not to carry it when they could be showing "Wheel of Fortune" or something. And I wonder if it will be like Netanyahu's "major announcement" yesterday that was only a bitchfest about the corruption investigations - that prompted at least one of the Israeli networks to pack up their cameras and leave.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 am

If we've reached the point where the major news networks charged with keeping the American public informed can decide which presidents' speeches they will televise and which they won't due to political differences, we are in deeper **** than I thought.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Interesting that he's doing an "address to the people" on this. And I wonder if the Democrats will get equal time. Maybe a good reason for the networks not to carry it when they could be showing "Wheel of Fortune" or something.

Yeah, an "address to the people" could just blow up in his face.

Apparently the broadcast networks decided to air the speech and yes, the democrats will get equal time, but I doubt the network exec's are happy about all that ad revenue they lost.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 am

MDDad wrote:Source of the post If we've reached the point where the major news networks charged with keeping the American public informed can decide which presidents' speeches they will televise and which they won't due to political differences, we are in deeper **** than I thought.

Of course that's the only reason not to air trump's speech right MDDad?

Do you think the networks are required to air the president any time the president feels like saying something or should it matter what he wishes to say?

On the political question...Are the networks required to air trump's political rallies? No...so why air this speech if all he's going to do is try to rally political support?

If the networks job is to "inform" the public, are they required to help spread misinformation?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 am

Do you think the networks are required to air the president any time the president feels like saying something or should it matter what he wishes to say?

I think when an American president addresses the American people, the networks should feel an obligation to air his speech. If they censor him based on what they think he's going to say, or based on the fact that they politically disagree with him, we are in deep ****.

On the political question...Are the networks required to air trump's political rallies?

No, but they've proven they will not turn down the ratings of airing one.

so why air this speech if all he's going to do is try to rally political support?

To some degree, almost every presidential speech is for the purpose of rallying political support or convincing the public of his side. So why air any of them?

If the networks job is to "inform" the public, are they required to help spread misinformation?

The networks' job is to present reality. One way to do that is to allow people to see for themselves who and what every president really is, rather than just offer opinions on who the networks think he is.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 am

MDDad wrote:Source of the post I think when an American president addresses the American people, the networks should feel an obligation to air his speech.

I agree, but I also think that the president has an obligation to only address the public when he has something responsible and non-political to say. I don't think our current president cares about such things.

No, but they've proven they will not turn down the ratings of airing one.

Really? Have his political rallies been aired by the broadcast networks?

To some degree, almost every presidential speech is for the purpose of rallying political support or convincing the public of his side. So why air any of them?

I have to disagree with you here. I can't think of another time when the president demanded air time to convince the people there's a 'crisis' that isn't. Typically presidents only break into prime time when there's a news event that has national import, like The Challenger explosion, or the death of Bin Laden.

The network' job is to present reality. One way to do that is to allow people to see for themselves who and what every president really is, rather than just offer opinions on who the networks think he is.

In the case of trump this would require a lot of post-speech fact-checking.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am

I know things are "different" with Trump, but the networks' obligation assumes that what the president would be talking about isn't a wild exaggeration, at best. I'm going to go with "tough call" on this one. Or maybe run it, let the Democrats have their rebuttal, and then maybe have a rebuttal from a sane Republican - if he isn't completely booked.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am

Professor at Georgetown Law -

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 am

Just wondering aloud here, but if Donald declares a national emergency where there isn't one, and assuming that would be impeachable, could Pence be considered complicit? :-k

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:02 am

The pre-panic, panic from lefty. :roll:

Let's see what the BP, local LEOs and the people living on the border say about it and not CNN talking heads living in NYC.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

Channel 34's coverage might be interesting. Foreign Babe says Mexico is hiring a psychiatrist to analyze the speech.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 am

Maybe a preview? An email tweeted by George Conway in two images:

ImageImage

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 pm

I missed the third image. It's a telethon!

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm

So not only is it a National Emergency, but it's an opportunity to solicit campaign funds?

Seriously, if he turns this into a campaign rally he's going to have a lot of pissed off network exec's on his hands.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:27 pm

I'm getting this feeling the Democrats' rebuttal is going to be "WT Everloving F was that???" I'm almost tempted to watch now.

Credo ut intelligam

Postby Credo ut intelligam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Just wondering aloud here, but if Donald declares a national emergency where there isn't one, and assuming that would be impeachable, could Pence be considered complicit? :-k

Just wondering aloud here, but if someone crosses the border illegally at an unsecured area, after the Democrats opposed funding for the border wall, and that same person then commits a murder, could Schumer and Pelosi be considered complicit?

The panic level is rising on the left....

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post Just wondering aloud here...

The answer is no, the question was silly.

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Source of the post The panic level is rising on the left....

Not to mention where it must be in the Oval Office to get trump to commit to this speech at all.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:43 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Just wondering aloud here, but if Donald declares a national emergency where there isn't one, and assuming that would be impeachable, could Pence be considered complicit? :-k

The democrats said the same thing about President Lincoln and his VP in 1861.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Return to “Immigration”