Congrats Costa Mesa HS!

TommyTrojan

Congrats Costa Mesa HS!

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Off the beaten path perhaps but a cool item of note: Costa Mesa HS which opened in 1958 won its first ever boys basketball title this week. Added a girls basketball and girls water polo title to that as well. Pretty awesome winter sports season.

cruiser

Re: Congrats Costa Mesa HS!

Postby cruiser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:20 pm

I've always wondered why Costa Mesa HS does not have a better overall sports program.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:19 am

Well done Costa Mesa! Congrats.

SMCHSDominance

Postby SMCHSDominance » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:23 am

Nice post. Congrats to Costa Mesa. Why can't they get a better football coach? Ideal location. Do the Chargers still use their facility?

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:16 am

They had a good coach this last season. Lack of support from the schools administration goes a long way.

SMCHSDominance

Postby SMCHSDominance » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:26 am

Does administration support winter sports? Admin knows football is the bread winner. Did they stop the good coach from being good?

Bollweevil

Postby Bollweevil » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 am

Football needs a little more Admin support than winters sports. The number of athletes, the cost of running the program, the number of assistant coaches needed and probably five more things. A little different animal.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 am

...from what I know, they had maybe 20 on the frosh team this past year while the varsity team
maybe had 30 players or so on it. It seems the program changes Head coaches every two years,
apparently there is a major difference in philosophy with past head coaches and the administration.

The school is in a good middle to upper middle class area, just seems strange why they
don't have a decent FB program year in and year out.

SMCHSDominance

Postby SMCHSDominance » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 am

Bollweevil wrote:Football needs a little more Admin support than winters sports. The number of athletes, the cost of running the program, the number of assistant coaches needed and probably five more things. A little different animal.

That's common knowledge and common sense. So why is it administrations fault when this supposed past football "good coach" was far opposite of good? In 30 years, I haven't noticed a worse season for any school. Does any responsibility fall on the coach? The school is in a great location. Local NFL team uses the school. There's a built-in junior high. Administration cannot be the scapegoat for whatever happened this past football season. There is bad, then there is inexplicably pathetic.

Another congratulations to Costa Mesa's winter sports. A well deserved positive post. The winter coaches earned the title "good." CM football should contact SM's Fisher. That's a good coach.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Keep in mind the school only has 1200 HS kids. Even when you have a good group of athletes, depth is always going to be an issue. Throw in the historical challenges of being in a district where you could opt to go to CdM or Newport and it becomes a bit easier to see why success hasn't been easy. I don't think it has the socio-economics that some of you think (2/3rds of the students qualify as low income)

Fond memories of that old gym. Cool pictures on social media showing the teams and the Bell trophy for beating Estancia.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:02 pm

I read somewhere years back that CM is inverted regarding single family residences and apartment
buildings, where as most cities have a 60% to 40% ratio, CM is the only city in the OC with a 60% ratio
of apartment buildings to 40% ratio of single family residences and Tommy Trojan is right, lots of
apartments around the area of Costa Mesa High - I can see where that comes into play, I hear the
soccer teams are always good....

Estancia HS has the same problem - they get the Mesa Verde and bluff area kids but a lot of them
either start their frosh year at Newport Harbor/CDM or go to a private school.
(A LOT of apartments around Estancia HS)

Moosington

Postby Moosington » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:13 pm

A lot of kids/parents also take advantage of the extremely gentle transfer rules into HB school district and cruise down to Edison.

Exocet 98

Postby Exocet 98 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Irvine has a higher apartment to SFR ratio than CM. :mrgreen:

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:46 pm

..is it still fairly simple to start your frosh year at Harbor or CDM if there is room and you live
in Costa Mesa? And, yes; a lot of the CM bluff area kids go to Edison,I am told...

The NMUSD is funded by CM/NB property taxes and not by state funded daily student attendance as most school districts are - one of the few in the state, I think...

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Irvine, NM and Laguna Beach in OC are all Basic Aid (property tax based funding vs state tax money). Not many areas have enough of a base to go that route.

Newps

Postby Newps » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Congrats to Mesa winter sports!!!

FYI, Cdm/Newport Harbor, and apartments are not Estancia and Mesa’s problems with sports programs. HB Unified has open borders and most of Costa Mesa and Estancia’s best athletes cross the Hamilton or Adam’s river channel to Edison, not Cdm/Harbor. Mesa Verde has many affluent families who live in multi-million dollar homes and their children start elementary school in HB. Hawes Elementary (Edison feeder) has 300 CM kids in a 750 school enrollment. We have HB friends who go to Hawes and gave me these #’s.

Another example, Edison’s best basketball player this year, Headington, lives in North Costa Mesa (CMHS home school). Most of CM and Estancia’s best athletes don’t stay home and either cross the river to Edison or do choose Cdm/Newport. This is the main issue for both Costa Mesa schools. Yes, there are lots of good athletes, however, they leave for other opportunities.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Wow, good info; I wasn't aware that many CM kids went to the HB Unified school(s)
I think Edison HS is actually closer or the same distance; for most of the CM bluff area kids to attend,
instead of Estancia HS. (would be interesting to find out how many CM kids attend Edison HS)

SMCHSDominance

Postby SMCHSDominance » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks for the info Newps. Sounds like Estancia and Costa Mesa have the same players from local apartments and elementary schools. On October 26 MaxPreps reported football score: Estancia 75 Costa Mesa 0.
Why can't Costa Mesa get a better football coach? Can't blame admin for "lack of support." Blame them for lack of hiring a good coach.

Newps

Postby Newps » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 am

Cruiser, my family is right there with the others! I was born and raised in Newport and attended Cdm but as a young family we cannot afford to live in Cdm/Newport. We chose to buy a house in CM and send our kids to an elementary school that feeds NH for many reasons. CMHS is our home school and Killybrooke Elementary is down the street from our house. My wife is now the PTA president of the elementary school we attend and my kids play lots of sports. My son will either go to Cdm or NH his Frosh year. There are many kids in my neighborhood who go to Cdm or Edison and they all play sports and are good athletes. Headington is my neighbor and he will be up for Sunset Hoops League MVP. Another kid is a Soph and on Cdm’s varsity basketball and baseball teams.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 am

Newps, thanks for the info, I've always wondered why CMHS and Estancia HS don't have better overall
athletic programs being in the areas they are in, have also wondered why the NMUSD keeps both
CMHS and Estancia HS open when both only have 1200 students or so at either school(s) that were
built for 2000-2500 students,seems like a waste of taxpayer money to me - there is probably other
agenda going on with the powers at be, oh well...

Return to “High School”