High school football in California is taking a hit...,

SK80

High school football in California is taking a hit...,

Postby SK80 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 am

High school football in California is taking a hit, even as Rams, Patriots produce stars from the Golden State
Traditional bastions of high school football are seeing participation in the sport decline. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/02/high-school-football-in-california-is-taking-a-hit-even-as-la-rams-patriots-produce-stars-from-the-golden-state/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-ocvarsity&utm_campaign=socialflow

"In this time span these 800 or so schools — large, small and spread throughout California’s ten CIF “sections,” or regions — saw a nearly 11 percent decline in football participation overall, from about 81,500 participants in 2011 to 72,600 students in 2017-18.

Those figures more or less concur with estimates by the state governing organization, which reported an approximate 13 percent statewide decline in football over the past decade. Across the country, participation has gone down roughly 5 percent since 2011, the national association reports."

More and more date is showing high school football is taking a hit in participation. And if you read on California is leading the way. There is no question that politics and campaigning against the sport is at the center of the equation.

Surely there are other contributing factors, one I personally conclude is that the building in uber teams as added to average student football player from hanging it up. There is less reason to knock heads, risk injury to compete in a larger field of "also rans" in a sport like football.

jb914

Re: High school football in California is taking a hit...,

Postby jb914 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 pm

Question: don't you think the decreased Jr High-level school teams has something to do with this? I notice this in many sports. Kids are now joining "club" teams, since their local grade school or jr high do not have teams. My kids school had flag football, not tackle.

"clubs" can cause the average kid to drop out since the clubs tend to focus on the elite and star athletes more, IMHO. I've noticed this in aquatics, softball, volleyball, etc.

Thoughts?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:26 pm

There is no question that politics and campaigning against the sport is at the center of the equation.

Please don't make this political, or anti-football. The only ones doing that are the ones using "politics" as a wedge between "real American football fans" and the "wild eyed Liberals" who are opposed to traumatic brain injuries - and aren't necessarily Liberal.

In February 2018, a pair of California state legislators introduced a bill that proposed a ban on tackling in youth football for kids younger than 12. Both of those legislators happened to be Democrats, which an activist for youth-sports safety named Kimberly Archie immediately realized would reinforce the existing political perceptions surrounding this issue. Namely, it would make it seem like there can be no middle ground: Either you believe in the sanctity of football, or you’re a radical liberal seeking to destroy it.

The funny thing, Archie says, is that she once campaigned for Sonny Bono when he ran for House of Representatives as a California Republican in the 1990s, and she was president of the Young Republicans when she was in college. (Her nickname, she says, was “Mrs. Limbaugh.”) Archie grew up as a cheerleader in Red Bluff, California, a rural and conservative town of roughly 14,000 people where football held an important place, like it does in many small communities across the United States. “Football was a big part of our town and how people viewed how other people were,” she says. “Football people were different than other people who were not jocks.”

https://www.theringer.com/features/2019 ... e-politics
A longer article that might be worth a read.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Please don't make it? Sorry train left that station and it already is...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Politicians have to make any laws covering head injuries aren't inherently political.

And there are a lot more things affecting participation than that and "uber teams." Those aren't even a factor in 99% of the country.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

You may have proved my point, California has suffered a 11% decline while the nation just 5%. That is more than DOUBLE.

By the way, legislators that drafted bills to ban youth football until high school are from a certain political persuasion. Or maybe if not this but from the same PC crowd that brings us "Toxic Masculinity". Again an idea from the same possibly "inherent" persuasion.

As I stated clearly there are many contributing factors but you can not just get away from the campaign that is anti-youth football. It gained much momentum, with some good reason and has had an impact on younger kids playing ball.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I removed the double post. Just more scrolling.

The lady I quoted said she was a Republican. It isn't inherently political. It's one of those issues that has supporters and detractors on both sides of the aisle. But... as usual, the people claiming it's about "destroying football" are also claiming that their opposition is just a bunch of liberal pansies, which isn't necessarily true.

Reminds me of the woman leading a group of people opposed to a big local development urging people to vote Republican in the last election because "Democrats are beholden to developers." Seems the Head Treehugger had her stereotypes completely backwards. But that's also not a partisan issue, just like the El Toro Wars, which had some of this board's extreme lefties and extreme righties marching arm in arm.

And you can probably add "kids these days!" to your list. They aren't an especially active bunch. Why get all sweaty when you can just play Madden?

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 am

I don't think politics has anything to do with the decline, and the super teams probably don't either. Californians are more educated and far more health conscious than most of the country. Jovan Belcher, Junior Seau, Dwight Clark, Aaron Hernandez, Kyle Turkey, Jamal Lewis, and dozens of other players are much bigger influences than Colin Kaepernick.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am

JSerra just announced that it bought the VICIS Zero One helmet for the entire roster. They are not cheap ($950 each)-but as the price comes down and the technology is proven, will this stem the tide of declining football participation by better protection against concussions?

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Better protection is a move in the right direction. However it seems that physics and the physical are gaining each decade as well. Can they stay ahead of the super athletes, now huge and all fast.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm

if they don't get the helmet/concussion issue solved there won't be HSFB in 20 years.

SMCHSDominance

Postby SMCHSDominance » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Santa Margarita was doing things right. Consequently the Head Coach was fired for doing things right.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 pm

...apparently the SM administration didn't think so, no?

ocfootball

Postby ocfootball » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 pm

Interesting article from Seattle area,,, 2 year study,,, concussion rate of football same as hockey and lacrosse...

Dain Bramage,,,,,if i did not play football today, i would not be playing football today.....

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 pm

bet the soccer rate is similar also.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:48 am

and didn't I see some RUGBY high school news locally...? that sport is beyond dangerous!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:17 am

LOL. I don't know if anyone read the whole article that I linked to up above, but it said that the President of Stanford once wanted to drop football and replace it with the "less brutal" rugby. It didn't say if he'd ever seen either game played.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 am

Wont be long before the PC Police that be eliminate contact sports for youth and insert such games as "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" (Disclaimer no PINS just VELCRO!) and "Tiddlywinks" with full chest guard, face masks and eye protection! :shock:

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 am

It is pretty well known that the concussion rate is higher in soccer, especially girls soccer for physiological reasons. But the issue with football is not necessarily the concussions per se. Just think about how many helmet impacts a player has every season, including all the practices. Concussions are not all that common in football in reality but the scientific argument is that it is the cumulative effect of MANY non-concussive head collisions over the years that is the true culprit of CTE.

Return to “High School”