Basketball playoffs

OutOfState

Basketball playoffs

Postby OutOfState » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:02 pm

For the open division there are two 4-team brackets with pool play (each team has 3 games and plays each team in their bracket with top team in each bracket advancing to the finals).
I find it interesting how, unlike football, the higher seed is the home team always. Mater Dei is the 7th seed and all 3 games are away since they are the lower seed. I wish that football would follow this same philosophy rather than having higher seeds travel. Thoughts?

On a side note, we saw a preview of the open championship last night with Rancho Christian beating Sierra Canyon. IMO there are parallels with the basketball open division and football D1. Just as the D1 football playoffs are loaded with excellent teams, there are two 800-pound gorillas that others teams are simply outmanned by. Well I think it is this way with Rancho Christian and Sierra Canyon. All the teams in the open division are outstanding, but there are 2 teams that are on a different level from the others.

Dailydose

Re: Basketball playoffs

Postby Dailydose » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Where is Servite?

Stugotz

Postby Stugotz » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Probably having their end of the year banquet this week. Morris may splurge for two pizzas.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:08 pm

OutOfState wrote:For the open division there are two 4-team brackets with pool play (each team has 3 games and plays each team in their bracket with top team in each bracket advancing to the finals).
I find it interesting how, unlike football, the higher seed is the home team always. Mater Dei is the 7th seed and all 3 games are away since they are the lower seed. I wish that football would follow this same philosophy rather than having higher seeds travel. Thoughts?

On a side note, we saw a preview of the open championship last night with Rancho Christian beating Sierra Canyon. IMO there are parallels with the basketball open division and football D1. Just as the D1 football playoffs are loaded with excellent teams, there are two 800-pound gorillas that others teams are simply outmanned by. Well I think it is this way with Rancho Christian and Sierra Canyon. All the teams in the open division are outstanding, but there are 2 teams that are on a different level from the others.

Not necessarily true. Rancho Christian lost to Santa Margarita, who in turn lost to Beverly Hills HS.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 am

Where all this will get real interesting is in state when the city section teams get in the mix...., Westchester and especially this years Fairfax teams are on par with the best.

Return to “High School”