New Coaches Thread 2019

SK80

New Coaches Thread 2019

Postby SK80 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:15 pm

Thought I would start a "COACHES" thread since they are an intricate part of a programs success. there have been many new hires to date and some still should be coming. This just out for Irvine High School....

Tom Ricci leaves Savanna to become head football coach at Irvine High

Former Irvine assistant coach Tom Ricci, who has been head football coach at Savanna for the last two years, was named Wednesday as Irvine’s head varsity football coach, according to Irvine assistant principal Bob King, who is charge of athletics.

About 14 to 15 candidates were interviewed for the job, King said. Ricci replaces Erik Terry who resigned after nine seasons.

“He is a former Vaquero so he knew the program well,” King said. “Not only did he graduate from here, but he’s been a coach here a couple of times. He’s worked under both (Terry) Henigan and (Erik) Terry and he’s doing it for the right reasons, because he loves football and he loves Irvine High.

ocfootball

Re: New Coaches Thread 2019

Postby ocfootball » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm

SoCal coaching change database put together by Coach Fore.....school, old coach, reason left, and new coach....Tracks all changes in SS, LA, and SD CIF sections

https://eightlaces.org/socal/

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 am

Looks like coaching changes or departures are up more than ever. 20.2% in 2018
Look at the landscape, look at the attitudes, look at the selfishness. Coaches, good coaches with pride and competitve spirit put in alot of time, and to see kids and parents abuse the system, along with CIF who turns a blind eye. Wouldnt doubt to see it jump up to 25% this year.

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am

Could also just be that some guys have been coaching for 40+ years, want to retire at the same time as their spouse and enjoy the rest of their lives i.e. Salter at Upland.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

Surely there are a number of factors @RedPillWonder and walking away from teaching at a fairly young age with a nice government pension makes that step all the easier. SO yes tenure at what they do plays a roll.

I have stated before that something I feel being around this game long enough the landscape and where it has gone has created two types of playing fields, the one we discuss get with the new era or become obsolete. I think that is a factor here at play. There are way too many programs now, mainly publics that will no longer be able to really field excellent skilled quality teams. By chance should you have a great local athlete you can assume he or she (any sport) will likely leave. That has become more prevalent and I am sure more frustrating for public high school coaches.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 am

Our head coach is the old man of our district since he has finished 3 seasons here.

4 OC jobs still unfilled at this point I think. Capo, Esperanza, SM and Mesa.
The demands on coaches have really changed over the last decade. There was a time not long ago when you worked during the season and then got a break until spring ball and summer. Now the expectations of the job mean that a coach really has no down time at all. and that often includes nights and weekends during the "off-season". Puts quite the strain on a family and for the most part doesn't pay any more.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

I think your points are valid @TT...., to be fair, to be competitive I think your coaching staff has to be on it all year around now. This isn't the era any longer of "clean out your lockers, see you next season". Some CDM players are already in 7v7 and off season comps.... crazy its just February!

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Yep SK80, that's the way it is now. Not what my wife signed up for and not really paying me any more money, but stuff you feel obligated to do to be competitive

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:29 am

So true on all levels. I think being organized, having a solid group of kids who buy in, a good staff, that can coach up, watch film, committed!
Be selective on what you commit to off season wise. Having your kids play together running your defense and offense, picking and choosing the right 7 on7 tourneys or teams to play and learn from. Not against teams of renegades that run fake defenses or offenses with guys you wont even play with, just to win a trophy that is meaningless in BFE. Can you spell money grab? Oh, thats right kids ae getting offers from this. How can your TEAM get better? Coaches getting kids stolen, injured, or not learning from their coaches and what they do and want. Learning bad habits. Coaching has become daddy ball on steroids, where the kids and parents hold all the cards. :lol: How does Capo not have a coach?
They have alot of talent in that area. Oh yeah, SM is open, Johnson has moved in to MV and is robbing and pillaging neighborhoods. Esperanza has to deal with Yorba Linda and their facilities and coaching. Costa Mesa?? Whats the attraction? Alot of Homeless and crime? Another one of those teams whos varsity program that would lose to alot of freshman programs. Where do we sign up to coach? NO THANKS! This is all real entertaining though.

thefrog

Postby thefrog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Just noticed that Diaz over at ET fired and replaced his entire staff

wowza

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:38 pm

FROG! Wanna make any bets on the "pool" this year.... :thumbsup:

Return to “High School”