Gov. Newsom to suspend the death penalty

seeinred

Gov. Newsom to suspend the death penalty

Postby seeinred » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 am

Wow, 2 more things from Donny that I agree with!?!!??!!??!!?? What the hell is going on???

1- President Trump on Wednesday blasted California Gov. Gavin Newsom for halting executions for the state’s 737 death row inmates.

“Defying voters, the Governor of California will halt all death penalty executions of 737 stone cold killers. Friends and families of the always forgotten VICTIMS are not thrilled, and neither am I!” Trump tweeted early Wednesday.
(I think it's BS too!)

2- Trump signs legislation protecting OHV areas, federal land in Mojave Desert.
(I know this is a bi-partisan bill, but from the world's most environmentally destructive human???)

But now it's back to...

Wabash

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Postby Wabash » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am

I agree with Newsom on this one. The death penalty is only applied to the poor.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am

I understand that the stats are disproportionate, but remember, all death penalty cases are automatically appealed. They were condemned for crimes that are not fit for rehabilitation and continued life. All of the condemned should die.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 am

seeinred wrote:Source of the post All of the condemned should die.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.” J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't believe that the state should have the power to put people to death.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 am

We're straying a little off topic here but I agree with Newsome. Our criminal justice system is good, but not nearly good enough to be killing people. Not to mention we haven't actually carried out an execution since 2006, so nobody's dying anytime soon anyway, and death row is expensive.

Back to our pre-programmed Trump bashing....

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am

seeinred wrote:I understand that the stats are disproportionate, but remember, all death penalty cases are automatically appealed. They were condemned for crimes that are not fit for rehabilitation and continued life. All of the condemned should die.

It has become infrequent where an innocent person is being released after spending decades for a conviction. The evidence was suppressed. Witnesses or prosecuting attorneys admit to lying. Etc.

I'll gladly pay for life imprisonment.

It's better that a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent man is executed.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Gov. Newsom to suspend the death penalty

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 am

Worthy topic on its own, so I split it.

Add another non-death-penalty supporter. I don't believe in sentencing as retribution. Barbarism is barbarism and it's no less immoral when it's done by the state. :2cents:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Would you still feel the same if your beloved was brutally raped, tortured, mutilated and then murdered? And the killer then confessed and rejoiced in the horror he caused you?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:46 pm

How would executing that person change anything?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Yeah, probably. Retribution doesn't solve anything. And it obviously doesn't keep people from killing each other.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 pm

The calmness in the tones in your responses indicate you all (luckily) have no experience in knowing the rage and unimaginable horror experienced by the loved ones left to deal and morn the evil inflicted by the condemned. There are many including myself that can empathize with them, and see zero reason to spend the $60k a year it takes to keep them breathing till their demise.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Why is money an issue? We're spending four times that to put children in cages.

It would be cheaper to get them rooms at a Four Seasons.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:48 am

seeinred wrote:The calmness in the tones in your responses indicate you all (luckily) have no experience in knowing the rage and unimaginable horror experienced by the loved ones left to deal and morn the evil inflicted by the condemned. There are many including myself that can empathize with them, and see zero reason to spend the $60k a year it takes to keep them breathing till their demise.

What if it were the wrong person?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 am

I was waiting for that question...
The death penalty is reserved for only the most evil doers that have been been proven beyond a doubt MULTIPLE times as the automatic appeal kicks in when a condemnation sentence is handed down.
In times long ago there may have been wrongly convicted that were killed, but since the advent of DNA and other forensic sciences used to determine guilt, I don't believe we have anyone on Death Row who doesn't belong there.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am

I still don't trust the system to be infallible.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:11 pm

seeinred wrote:Source of the post The calmness in the tones in your responses indicate you all (luckily) have no experience in knowing the rage and unimaginable horror experienced by the loved ones left to deal and morn the evil inflicted by the condemned.

Well, I don't know how you define "loved one' but for what it's worth Jeffery Dahmer killed a friend of mine. I was perfectly fine with his life sentence when he was convicted of multiple murders. Karma being what it is, I also didn't lose any sleep when he was in turn murdered by a fellow inmate.

I would also point out that while I understand your argument, it's entirely based on emotion, and our laws are not supposed to be so based. Justice shouldn't be about how angry you are.

For me it's not about how fallible the justice system may or may not be, I just think that the state shouldn't have the power to kill its citizens.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Return to “California”