OC Forums - High School - Football Only

ShaneFalco

OC Forums - High School - Football Only

Postby ShaneFalco » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:46 am

JQP - Have you ever considered creating another index for non-HS football related posts? I noticed that between football topics, there is a track, wrestling or baseball post that gets buried pretty quickly. This could create an avenue for more traffic and wouldn't muddy up the HS football post/threads. Just a thought/suggestion.

SK80

Re: OC Forums - High School - Football Only

Postby SK80 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:55 am

Once HSF season actually starts you won't have much to muddy.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 am

It's a thought - and I'll stay out of the discussion for the time being, but my POV on it is "would it encourage or discourage participation?" Would it encourage growth or contraction? From the average visitor's standpoint, do the non-football topics get in the way of the football ones or do all of the football topics stifle the non-football ones? Or do they help them along?

As it stands, 80% of our visitors never look beyond the "High School" forum and many don't even seem to know we have others - even College (or Education or Orange County News, for those posts) - so would it help the non-football topics or kill them? Judging by the number of visits the "College" forum gets - and by all the college topics people finagle a way to post under "High School" my guess would be the latter.

I have my trepidations but I'm open to hearing people's opinions on it.

But also keep in mind that my own personal opinion is that on most message boards if your aren't using the "Active Topics" search you're using the site incorrectly. You wouldn't only look to see what your friend Bob has to say on a social media site; why would you do that here?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShaneFalco

Postby ShaneFalco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:35 am

SK80 - Agreed, football dominates this board, although we may see a few posts on Servite Basketball from Dailydose, that story never dies.
Maybe JQP can run a "High School- Other Sports" pilot beginning December or January where it can capture winter sports, then moving into the spring schedule. After 6 months, a decision to keep or scrap could be based on the traffic data.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:02 am

Big shout out to Greg Gains 99 twitter, from La Habra high school, being drafted in the 4th round by the Los Angeles Rams, out of U of Washington. Big daddy has been causing havoc ever since he played La Habra pop warner. Took his game to La Habra high and owned the Dline. Greg was a exceptional athlete, whee he even carried the ball for the clan
in the heavy package. Gains, then went to UOFW and continued his Dawgness, that has now led him to the NFL.
Congrats Greg Gains!! :thumbsup: :cheers:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:29 am

That has something to do with this topic?

No, the separate forums thing won't be happening. It would be contrary to the site's best interest.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks John Q the "other" topics than football give us the occasional reprieve from the same ole same ole let's beat up MD football.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 am

HTL do you need a flashlight or a new GPS device to find your posts in the correct thread.... :eh?:

Return to “High School”