Nike Event This Weekend

SuperMonster

Nike Event This Weekend

Postby SuperMonster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 pm

I heard one of the most ridiculous things in a long time and was wondering if any of you know the real scoop. A lot of the top schools in Southern California were invited to this event this weekend sponsored by Nike. Bosco, Mater Dei, centennial, etc. were all invited. I just heard that Bosco and MD had to pull out because some of the players were upset and threatened to transfer out. Apparently you can only have a list of 30 kids per team at this event. When the list came out and not everyone was on it those who were not were upset and threatened to transfer out. This has got to be false, right???

outsider

Re: Nike Event This Weekend

Postby outsider » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Maybe their regular payments from Nike were late.

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 am

That would be very interesting as Bosco and MD are big for Nike. One thing to consider here as well is there's a big 7v7 tourney out of state so will players choose there HS team or 7v7 team? Will see...

SuperMonster

Postby SuperMonster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 am

There's also the Polynesian Bowl Combine and Showcase in Vegas this weekend.

OCurbanlegend

Postby OCurbanlegend » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:37 am

That is definitely not true. Nike did not even inform the schools about this event until the beginning of March and then one week into March moved the date of the event from March 23rd and 24th to March 30th and 31st. A lot of people already had plans to attend combines and tournaments out of town and flights were booked ect. This event for Nike is supposed to replace their involvement in the Opening. There will be a National Championship held next year that will involve the top 2 teams from every state. I believe the event is to be held in Canton Ohio. There was no championship scheduled this year as Nike clearly did not have all the logistics of the event worked out. This just seems like a trial run. I'm sure there will be much more participation next year as schools will know the event is coming.

Return to “High School”